HR20 - Release in August (LA to be the first)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I just want to say thank you to all the people on this forum who are are "in the Know". I was not only able to purchase a H20 on the last day that you could actually buy them, but I was also able to get my HR20-700 the first day it was available. This forum rocks!

P.S.
Oh yeh, I almost forgot. I would also be listening to XM on my HR-20 in mono through my very high end audiophile system if it weren't for you guys (fixed by using RCA connections on the rear output jack)

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Yep, we sure wont see any of them here eating their words by apologizing.

Not only that but some have already started their NEXT bitching sessions. I predict that within 3-4 months, the E* fanatics are gonna be geting awful QUIET - THANK GOODNESS.

You know what - August 16th launch - DirecTV said in January by mid-06 - June/July would be EXACTLY mid-06 - guess they WERE 2 weeks late! lol.

Free Swap Out??

Any confirmation that DirecTV is swapping out customers in LA who currently have the Tivo HD DVR at no cost?

dnyce said:
Any confirmation that DirecTV is swapping out customers in LA who currently have the Tivo HD DVR at no cost?

FWIW, I was talking to retention at D* yesterday to b*tch about active not being on the H20 yet and NFL Superfan starting in a few weeks. I mentioned how the HR20 has it active but not the H20. She said that I would be able to upgrade to the HR20 for free when it was available in my area.

asousa said:
anyone in LA getting D* to ship these new boxes, I refuse to let an installer near my house

I have a similar response. I have a really complex configuration and I dont want anyone near it. I also "moved" so I would have to "move" back to get installed.

evanfew said:
P.S.
Oh yeh, I almost forgot. I would also be listening to XM on my HR-20 in mono through my very high end audiophile system if it weren't for you guys (fixed by using RCA connections on the rear output jack)

? Where did you receive info on this... and is the same true with the HDTivos?

There was a thread probably about a year ago, that stated there was a design flaw with the H20 box, in that it only put out a mono signal because there was a mechanical switch on the back of the RCA audio output. The simple fix was to connect ANY type of RCA plug into the output jacks (both left and right) and it would mechanically make a connection that would change the output source to stereo. Some impetuous forum member actually opened up the box to diagnose this issue. I thought it was craziest thing I ever heard, until I tried it myself. It really works! It does in fact effect the output when using an optical connection (toslink). I do not think (although I don't really know) that this applies to any other box.

Just called retention. We do not take the NFL pkg. But we have had the HD package now for about 2 yrs. (Samsung TS-360)
Retention offered me an H20 w/5lnb drop shipped to my door and an installer coming out to install the dish for $19.95 w/2yr committment. HR20-700 not available in our area till Oct.1 timeframe.
Part of her offer was also a replacement HR10-250 for my Hughes SD Tivo for $399.00.
Her recommendation was to wait till Oct. timeframe, then get the HR20, rather than doing the H20 install now, and then trying to get the HR20 later.
I told her no thanks for now on both. We are not going to pay much of anything for an electronic piece that we're leasing instead of buying. She was extremely nice & helpful.

Opinions????

It will be available before October 1st....where they come up with these dates is beyond me.

evanfew said:
There was a thread probably about a year ago, that stated there was a design flaw with the H20 box, in that it only put out a mono signal because there was a mechanical switch on the back of the RCA audio output. The simple fix was to connect ANY type of RCA plug into the output jacks (both left and right) and it would mechanically make a connection that would change the output source to stereo. Some impetuous forum member actually opened up the box to diagnose this issue. I thought it was craziest thing I ever heard, until I tried it myself. It really works! It does in fact effect the output when using an optical connection (toslink). I do not think (although I don't really know) that this applies to any other box.

It should be noted that this only concerned the H20-600 - not the H20-100. But, you are right - that was one strange design problem.

Questioner said:
I fear the "we waited months for this?" reaction will be all too common.

I shall see. Iam still at work and it is killing me not being able to "play" with it. Wife did sat she likes the guide and menu speeds. Please see my other post regarding the box. I hope I have just been fed some misinformation. Wouldn't be a surprise. Any SET date on the OTA tuner being turned on? Installer said if I went into menu and did 'combine sat & antenna' it may work. But just antenna scan was greyed out.

i spoke to retention last night and was showered with gifts w/o even asking. i had called to ask about a football game and ended up getting paid $100 over the next 6 months by d* to take superfan, gameplan, and be on the "vip" list to receive the new receiver on the 1st shipment to my area for free. she said there had been another "rush" placed on these shipments this past week, so i should have it w/in the next couple of months.

i also received a free upgrade with the tivo hd/dvr, and ota atenna, and another directv dvr box a few months ago for FREE. i made sure i went back over all of the details to make sure i wasn't missing something and i wasn't. 1/2 price for gameplan = $64 + a $25/month credit on my bill for the next 6 months. works out to approx. saving $100. i have no idea if there is some fake info on my account that makes them think i'm some important person, if we just subscribed to enough programming, or if i've just been lucky with the reps i've spoken to. i really don't care what the reason is. i will always accept gifts like these and not wonder why.

bobojay said:
HR20 is now on DirevTv's website for order by everyone. So we now know when the national release is!

And to hope that they will at least give me some kind of credit for a trade-in. I got my h10-250 in Jan. for $700 and I don't think I need to spend another $300 to *lease* a new box waiting for locals.

Well, I received my hr20-700 from Best Buy today in NC. I called DTV and learned that they will swap out hr10-250s for 99 bucks. Needless to say, I'm sending my best buy one back.

The Sat/ANT option is currently not functioning and is suppose to be available in a software update.

My question is, when is the so called slimline dish coming out??

You should be able to get a free swap out if you keep working retention CSRs.

On the other hand, I didn't have to swap mine back...the tech said DirecTV would send me a box if they wanted it, and apparently they don't.

So, with no OTA in the new box, I am delighted to keep my HD TiVo for off-air recording.

Well it's only a matter to time before the software upgrade will enable the ota interface. Most of my recording is via national broadcast on my local networks from the big 4. I will not miss not having the other stations.

Hmm, I should have tried the free route. I'm going to call them back and give it a shot. Heck I've been a DTV customer for a over 9 years so they should pass on more savings to me!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts