HR21 - cannot record second program

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
I just got DirecTV yesterday and two HR21 DVRs. At 2:15 I tried to record the movie Dogma and then tuned to another HD station. I got a warning that popped up that said I would have to tune to Dogma to record it. I said OK, suspicious of course. I then tried to change the channel and it gave me a warning that said select a Tuner to use and it only shows one. I believe something is wrong and that I should be able to watch one thing and record another. Did the installer mess up?

I found this in a description of the HR21... I seriously think he only has one tuner working....
"The back panel of this receiver contains two coaxial connectors, both of which are "satellite in" connectors. You can record two programs at once with these two connectors. (This requires connection of two satellite inputs from a multiple-LNB DirecTV System antenna.)"

HELP PLEASE!

i think you need 2 lines....1 into sat connector 1 and the other into sat connector 2 to do that....and also to record 2 shows at once too.

i think you need 2 lines....1 into sat connector 1 and the other into sat connector 2 to do that....and also to record 2 shows at once too.

Isn't this standard? I believe he did that. There is a double cable connecting to the back and two dongles. I helped the guy run the cable behind my furniture. There are two lines.

The helpful tech support gal had me up and running quickly. No hold time and an English speaking person. Much appreciated!

She had me hard reset and switch the two cables around. Now I can record and watch a second program. I am happy.

Like others have complained about, three tuners are nice, but I have three DVRs's in the house (1 cable, 2 D*) and I think I'll get by with only two tuners on the D* boxes.

Love it so far! DirecTV that is!

Isn't this standard? I believe he did that. There is a double cable connecting to the back and two dongles. I helped the guy run the cable behind my furniture. There are two lines.
Assuming you have 2 coax cables....

Sometimes on initial startup it doesn't recognize the second tuner.

Try restarting the unit.

Menu->Parental, Fav's & Setup->System Setup->Restart

Don't do a Reset from this menu.

This should reinitilize the second tuner.

If it doesn't, try the restart again but this time when the lights go out on the front pull the power plug on the box for 5 or 10 minutes.

Plug it back in and let it start up.

Once it recognizes the second tuner you shouldn't have any more problems.

The installer should have checked that both tuners were working.

Mike

Edit: fixed so Ignore

Last edited:
The helpful tech support gal had me up and running quickly. No hold time and an English speaking person. Much appreciated!

She had me hard reset and switch the two cables around. Now I can record and watch a second program. I am happy.

Like others have complained about, three tuners are nice, but I have three DVRs's in the house (1 cable, 2 D*) and I think I'll get by with only two tuners on the D* boxes.

Love it so far! DirecTV that is!
what did you have before?

what did you have before?

I have had BHN (Bright House Networks) for many years here in the Tampa Bay region. Dating back to when they were Paragon, then Time Warner, and then BHN.

I still have them for Roadrunner and digital cable with one HD-DVR (for now).

Last year I had Dish for a while (10 months or so) and thankfully did not sign a contract. The reason I subscribed to them was for the HD. At the time they had the most. I was happy with them at first. I really loved Monsters HD until it flushed itself down the toilet in Nov 07. We all know how DirecTV released all that HD last fall and Dish stood silent. Meanwhile, BHN in Tampa released just about as much HD (other than Voom) that Dish had. I was paying for the same thing twice. I was very annoyed that Dish would not discuss their plans. To tell you the truth, I think they were caught off guard when DirecTV sprung miles ahead in the race with all that HD. So being annoyed, I scrapped Dish and upped my BHN to everything.

It isn't that I was or am unhappy with BHN. I don't like how they remain silent for so long about their plans and more often than not trail satellite when it comes to new channel adds. BHN is an alright cable company, but I am happier with the HD on DirecTV and the picture is great on both my HD televisions. I am not going to lie and say it blows BHN away for HD picture but it is better.

I recommend DirecTV so far. No complaints.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts