HR21 didn't want to power up

michaelbudney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I'm not sure if my HR21-700 just became unresponsive when powered off but I couldn't get it to power up this morning. The power button on the front didn't do anything either.

I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and it finally powered back up. Is this a typical problem, a bad receiver or perhaps just an issue with the latest CE firmware?

I had the same problem. I called DTV tech support and after a few attempts to revive it the unit was declared dead. Call D* chances are you need a new one.

If it only happens once, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine did the same thing a few months ago but it hasn't repeated. If it becomes a consistent problem, a replacement receiver should be requested. Waiting a few minutes before reattaching the power cord is probably a good idea.

Every time I have turned off my HR21 since I got it over a week ago , I have had to reset it to get it to power up each morning. I have asked this question over and over again : IS THIS NORMAL ? I come from DISH country and have suffered through many of the older software nightmares like the 7100/7200 dishplayers, 721,921 dvrs , so rebooting became the way to fix all problems. But I have never had to reboot every time just to turn the damn thing on in the morning. So I have started to leave it on all the time to avoid this problem. Will this keep me from getting the guide updated? With Dish it does ,this is why I am asking.

The powering issues are NOT normal. You should, however, run the national software release to make sure it isn't something releated to the CE before you call to request a new box.

I dont' think it is releated to the CE software, but best to be sure.

I've only had it for a few days. I did have one lockup trying to access media on my PC. I attribute that to the enormous number of my photos, the wireless connection and the fact it's beta functionality.

The lockup from the hibernated state (or whatever it's called) had me a bit worried as I thought the unit was dead at first. I've since had it turned off two more times and no issues coming back up.

I hate the national release of the software enough I'd be afraid to swap the box out and then there not be any more CE releases for a while (given my luck).

They've been pretty steady on CE updates each week for a while now.

You just want to be sure it's not the software before replacing a box.

I noticed it didn't power up on the Friday morning after the initial install and by that night I downloaded my first C.E.software update. Since then I updated the other new C.E. software last night. I turned it off last night and once again it wouldn't turn on without a reboot . So will leaving it on all the time interfer with the guide or cause any other problems ?

I noticed it didn't power up on the Friday morning after the initial install and by that night I downloaded my first C.E.software update. Since then I updated the other new C.E. software last night. I turned it off last night and once again it wouldn't turn on without a reboot . So will leaving it on all the time interfer with the guide or cause any other problems ?

So the times it happened to you were both after doing a CE install? Perhaps there is a post upgrade bug. My issue happend after the first power down from the CE update. The other power down/ups have been fine.

Well today, it actually turned on without a REBOOT. THe first time this has happened in the 12 days I have had this receiver. Maybe the bug is over and it will work now as it is supposed to. I had to stand right in front of the receiver and aim the remote control right at it but it turned on.

I still don't think it's a bug - sounds like the receive itself. You say it has done this since you got it and it was new, that's not normal.

If it come back at all I would request a new box - tell them it won't turn on.

Every time I have turned off my HR21 since I got it over a week ago , I have had to reset it to get it to power up each morning. I have asked this question over and over again : IS THIS NORMAL ? I come from DISH country and have suffered through many of the older software nightmares like the 7100/7200 dishplayers, 721,921 dvrs , so rebooting became the way to fix all problems. But I have never had to reboot every time just to turn the damn thing on in the morning. So I have started to leave it on all the time to avoid this problem. Will this keep me from getting the guide updated? With Dish it does ,this is why I am asking.

Because of my experience with Dish I was surprised when the installer told me to leave the box ON at all times because it needs to be on to accept downloads. I've done that since and it seems to work best that way.

I just leave both my HR20-100 and HR21 on all the time. But I think I experienced the same thing others are reporting here last Friday. It's possible another family member turned the box off but that would be unusual. My initial guess was that it was in process of downloading a national release, but after about a half hour I gave up on that idea and started doing the same things others have mentioned here. When I pressed the reset button on the box itself and nothing happened I really got worried. But like others after replugging it it returned and has been fine since.

I forgot to mention it happened again last weekend. The one thing I had done was use MediaShare and the MediaShare session had stopped working correctly before I had turned the receiver off. I wonder if it could be related to MediaShare getting it into a bad hybernated state?

The media share software is still kinda choppy, it's slowly being developed, but doesn't appear to be a big priorty yet. From the notes at their investor day they will be working on media share with alot more effort by Q2.

I've heard of boxes locking up during use of mediashare, requiring a RBR, but haven't heard of any that wouldn't power back on.

I'm guessing that might be the cause of the few power up issues I've seen. It's hard to tell though since it is not 100% repeatable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts