Please reply by conversation.

Rebel Racing

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Detroit
Hi Guys,
confused.png

After several days of watching live tv, all seems fine now (after several RBR's and a system test that corrected 160 errors) HOWEVER, any recordings are still pausing every now and then (2-5 seconds). Does the same thing either with a recording or if I pause live tv for a few minutes and start it back again. Once I am caught up, all is fine again. Does this sound like strictly a hard drive issue and is so, could I just get an external HD (a DVR Expander)?? Keep in mind that all this started the morning after the latest firmware was downloaded--the receiver is less than 4 yr old (always stays in the entertainment cabinet with lots of airflow around it). Are there any tests I can do at this point??

Semi related question..............if the box is bad and an expander would not fix the issue, could I simply hook up a HR34 box or, is there more to that upgrade (coax/LNB, ect)?

Thanks!!

Hi Guys,
confused.png

After several days of watching live tv, all seems fine now (after several RBR's and a system test that corrected 160 errors) HOWEVER, any recordings are still pausing every now and then (2-5 seconds). Does the same thing either with a recording or if I pause live tv for a few minutes and start it back again. Once I am caught up, all is fine again. Does this sound like strictly a hard drive issue and is so, could I just get an external HD (a DVR Expander)?? Keep in mind that all this started the morning after the latest firmware was downloaded--the receiver is less than 4 yr old (always stays in the entertainment cabinet with lots of airflow around it). Are there any tests I can do at this point??

Semi related question..............if the box is bad and an expander would not fix the issue, could I simply hook up a HR34 box or, is there more to that upgrade (coax/LNB, ect)?

Thanks!!

You now have posts about the same issue in 2 different threads, harder to keep track that way.

Let me recap, Yes, you can add a external Hard Drive if you like, this would let you know about the HD issue.

You said, it's better, but still having trouble with recordings ... are these old recordings, done previous, or is it hanging with New recordings you make, say today or yesterday ?

As for hooking up an HR34, it kinda depends on what your currently using dish wise, if it's a SWM SL3/5 you have the correct dish and probably the power insertor already in place .... we would need to know what dish your using, how many recvrs and what recvrs your currently using on the new system.

Last edited:
Ypu now have posts about the same issue in 2 different threads, harder to keep track that way.

Let me recap, Yes, you can add a external Hard Drive if you like, this would let you know about the HD issue.

You said, it's better, but still having trouble with recordings ... are these old recordings, done previous, or is it hanging with New recordings you make, say today or yesterday ?

As for hooking up an HR34, it kinda depends on what your currently using dish wise, if it's a SWM SL3/5 you have the correct dish and probably the power insertor already in place .... we would need to know what dish your using, how many recvrs and what recvrs your currently using on the new system.
Sorry for the double topic. I'll continue on with only this one from now on. As far as hanging up on recordings, I have only checked on recent ones--I'm currently checking on one that was made back in July. 5 min in and it's stable. I'll write back after it runs ofr the 30 min.

As for the dish.............Slim Line SWM3 with a power inserter running on one HR24.

Thanks!!

Sorry for the double topic. I'll continue on with only this one from now on. As far as hanging up on recordings, I have only checked on recent ones--I'm currently checking on one that was made back in July. 5 min in and it's stable. I'll write back after it runs ofr the 30 min.

As for the dish.............Slim Line SWM3 with a power inserter running on one HR24.

Thanks!!

Ok, you already have a SWM dish and Poewer insertor, so your good, if you add a Genie and thats the only recvr your using, your good, if your adding others to it, you'll also need a SWM splitter.

I would call D*, see what they will do, they may replace it, then you can decide to add the Genie to the system or not after or when you know what they are wanting to do.

Ok, thats fine with OLD recordings, once it's recorded, it's not gonna change...
How about on ones you've recorded today or yesterday ?

I'm bouncing between several threads, what Dish are you using ?
Yes, it is hanging on all recordings----ones made way before this issue started and since the update. Slimline 3 dish with a power inserter. Been fine for over 2 yrs--maybe longer. I haven't called D yet as I really don't want to loose the old recordings (if they tell me to send it back for exchange) if it turns out to be a glitch in the firmware--unlikely as it seem that I am the only person experiencing it.

Just ran a system test. Got back a 43-76-444 Alignment problem. Odd thing is that the dish has not moved nor do we get Searching For Signals unless it is very heavy rain or a lot of snow on the dish or LNB. I would not think that alignment would only effect recordings.

Just ran a system test. Got back a 43-76-444 Alignment problem. Odd thing is that the dish has not moved nor do we get Searching For Signals unless it is very heavy rain or a lot of snow on the dish or LNB. I would not think that alignment would only effect recordings.

The alignment may not be the issue, it may just be OFF a bit, I think you mentioned numbers in ther 80's earlier, thats REALLY low if thats the HIGH side of your numbers.

Btw, do you have the Protection Plan with D* ?

If so, they will come out and re align the dish for you.

Most all your numbers should be in the 90's a few 80's is fine, but for the most part it's 90 and up.

This is the only recvr you are using, correct ?

The alignment may not be the issue, it may just be OFF a bit, I think you mentioned numbers in ther 80's earlier, thats REALLY low if thats the HIGH side of your numbers.

Btw, do you have the Protection Plan with D* ?

If so, they will come out and re align the dish for you.

Most all your numbers should be in the 90's a few 80's is fine, but for the most part it's 90 and up.

This is the only recvr you are using, correct ?
Yes, just one receiver. No protect. plan with DTV. Most of the numbers are in the 80-90 with a few in the high 90's. Been that way from the beginning and to be honest, I was always going to tweak it but never got around to it. We have to have really heavy rain for it to loose the signal though. I know I could get better numbers but I doubt that it has anything to do with the recordings hanging--I could be wrong though.

Yes, just one receiver. No protect. plan with DTV. Most of the numbers are in the 80-90 with a few in the high 90's. Been that way from the beginning and to be honest, I was always going to tweak it but never got around to it. We have to have really heavy rain for it to loose the signal though. I know I could get better numbers but I doubt that it has anything to do with the recordings hanging--I could be wrong though.

I don't think the numbers is your issue either ....
I would call D* and see what they will do for you and go from there.

It could be a HD going, but seems odd that it happened right when they had thier latest National software update.

I don't think the numbers is your issue either ....
I would call D* and see what they will do for you and go from there.

It could be a HD going, but seems odd that it happened right when they had thier latest National software update.
Looks like I may have to call them...........pretty sure that when I tell them it freezes all the time during playback then they will send me a new/refurb. for $20. Just hate to loose some of the recordings though. I agree, it is very strange that this issue just happened after the new firmware. Not sure if I mentioned or not but during one of the many resets it did find 160 disc errors and repaired every one of them. I wonder if there are still a few bad sectors.

Looks like I may have to call them...........pretty sure that when I tell them it freezes all the time during playback then they will send me a new/refurb. for $20. Just hate to loose some of the recordings though. I agree, it is very strange that this issue just happened after the new firmware. Not sure if I mentioned or not but during one of the many resets it did find 160 disc errors and repaired every one of them. I wonder if there are still a few bad sectors.

Kinda depends on if they are sending you one or sending a tech and a unit.
If they are sending you one to your home without a tech, watch your shows and send it back when your done.
You can possibly hook them both up and continue to watch your recordings while making sure the new one works correctly.

Kinda depends on if they are sending you one or sending a tech and a unit.
If they are sending you one to your home without a tech, watch your shows and send it back when your done.
You can possibly hook them both up and continue to watch your recordings while making sure the new one works correctly.
Yea, no need for a tech. Kinda silly but we have a recording with me on a car show and several travel shows that we saved for when we visit those cities for travel tips. Now having said that since the playback does pause occasionally, I'd almost like to keep the HR24 (maybe try an external DVR expander hard drive) and add a HR34 to the account. Just trying to weight our options. From all the replies I received here and elsewhere, it looks like it is the hard drive going bad.

Diagnostic Test Results

Hi Guys,

Went and did a diagnostic test and got results at "G30-0 Internal Hard Drive Tests" #8 Smart Short Test (3016) Fail

After all other test were complete I get a report that has:

G30-1 3036 ERR 3000 HDDD device not present or not usable

G30-1 3023 ERR 3000 " "

G30-1 3024 " "

Currently doing a G30-2 Hard Drive Utilities "SMART Long Test" looks like it will take a few hours so I'll report findings in the morning.

Anyone know what all this means??????

Thanks!!

Last edited:
If you really want to keep those old recordings, just transfer them to another media source. While you may not keep full HD quality, it is easy enough to hook an old VCR up to the component outputs ,or get a USB transfer cable for your computer (if like most you do not have a video capture card with component inputs) and Save your special recordings and convert them to a DVD. The $20 for a transfer cable is well worth it to save those once in a lifetime moments on your old HD.

If you really want to keep those old recordings, just transfer them to another media source. While you may not keep full HD quality, it is easy enough to hook an old VCR up to the component outputs ,or get a USB transfer cable for your computer (if like most you do not have a video capture card with component inputs) and Save your special recordings and convert them to a DVD. The $20 for a transfer cable is well worth it to save those once in a lifetime moments on your old HD.
O.K. I can likely do that--thanks!!

Does anyone know what those codes mean that I posted? Just checked after it did the long test but it had already reset itself and I have a picture again.

Thanks!!

Hi Guys,

Went and did a diagnostic test and got results at "G30-0 Internal Hard Drive Tests" #8 Smart Short Test (3016) Fail

After all other test were complete I get a report that has:

G30-1 3036 ERR 3000 HDDD device not present or not usable

G30-1 3023 ERR 3000 " "

G30-1 3024 " "

Anyone know what all this means??????

Thanks!!
Anyone know what the codes mean.............I'm guessing the hard drive is on the way out.

Yep, this is definitely the way to go ...

This way you have it.

I always tell people, if theres something you really need, transfer it to a disc.

No provider is responsible for recorded programs you may have, that would get lost due to a malfunction of the equipment.

Yep, this is definitely the way to go ...

This way you have it.

I always tell people, if theres something you really need, transfer it to a disc.

No provider is responsible for recorded programs you may have, that would get lost due to a malfunction of the equipment.
That's what I'll do. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we lost them but if possible, we'd like to hang onto them. If we do get D* to send us a replacement, does anyone know how long you have to send in the defective unit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts