HR24 First Look released.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

microbeta

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Norwich, CT
The 24 Series First Look has been released by dbstalk. This adds the HR24 to the 24 Series.

Mike

Attachments

• 24_Series_First_Look[1].pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 9,176
Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the PDF. I do have a minor nitpick. Why would BBCs be needed on a non-SWM install? Aren't they internalized like they are on the 23 series?

They removed them from the HR24. Assuming mostly used for new installations, which would be SWiM installs, they would rarely be needed.

Like I said about the H24, not many changes in the HR24:

Touch panel front - which will probably fail more than buttons
Removed BBC internal support - understandable, but still a negative
Faster, which makes sense, the chipsets surely have improved in the past two years and I imagine don't cost any different than the chipsets from two-three years ago. This is stilll a nice improvement.
DECA support - a real win here long term for Directv, easy VOD and MRV support on new installs using only H24 and HR24.

Did I miss anything?

Like I said about the H24, not many changes in the HR24:

Touch panel front - which will probably fail more than buttons
Removed BBC internal support - understandable, but still a negative
Faster, which makes sense, the chipsets surely have improved in the past two years and I imagine don't cost any different than the chipsets from two-three years ago. This is stilll a nice improvement.
DECA support - a real win here long term for Directv, easy VOD and MRV support on new installs using only H24 and HR24.

Did I miss anything?
1080p light.
And H 24 is wall mountable.

HR 24 has improves scrolling speed about 5 seconds better. Still 7 seconds :confused::rant:
HR 24 only improves only .9 tenths of a second for channel changing over the HR 20. :(
This I want to see before I believe this. I bet HR 20 is faster.
That would be OK if if the HR's were at 1-2 seconds now.

But still any improvement is better the no improvement.

1080p light.

HR 24 has improves scrolling speed about 5 seconds better. Still 7 seconds :confused::rant:
HR 24 only improves only .9 tenths of a second for channel changing over the HR 20. :(

That 7.4 seconds is for 20 pages in the Guide...or 0.37 sec/page. That's pretty fast.

It's 1.05s faster then the HR20...a 25% increase.

Mike

1080p light.

Hemi, I've been testing this box for a few months and it is fast and yes it's faster then my HR20.

25% increase of slow is still fracking slow. I'll pass... I'm usually an upgradeaholic :D , but nothing on the HR24 makes me want to trade in my HR22.

Why in speed tests do they use such a poor performing DVR as a benchmark? Yup, its faster than an HR20/21. Too bad those are both dog slow.

Directv lovers please now add your "my HRs aren't slow" comments.

I'm impressed by both the First Look itself, as well as the 2 units themselves.

If build in DECA and significant speed improvements don't float your boat, than I guess not much will. Benchmarking to the HR20, for example, makes sense, since it is one of the faster units today.

DECA/SWM is clearly the infrastructure for the DirecTV whole home connectivity strategy - so with SWM now being the standard for new installs - these become plug and play units for MRV.

With faster processors and speed....things are now and will only get better.

Remember that these units are geared to new customers, new customers who will be getting SWM/DECA installs.

While a current customer might be able to get one of these the current customer is not the intended market for this device. :)

Remember that these units are geared to new customers, new customers who will be getting SWM/DECA installs.

While a current customer might be able to get one of these the current customer is not the intended market for this device. :)
With SWM units available today (SolidSignal and other places), and DECA units available as well soon....anyone could use these within a full DECA network....both with legacy HD DVRS/receivers and the new HR24/H24 units.

No one knows yet any impact or strategy for when MRV is promoted to mainstream use...maybe they'll also do something to encourage existing customers to move to this same kind of setup.

At least that is what the First Look seems to indicate.

Most customers dont know what MRV , SWM or DECA is, they are not the hard core user as we have here or at the other site. We are the top of folks who ALWAYS want the latest and greatest.

The satellite companies are probably lucky there are not a bunch more like us, as we would cost them too much money always seeking upgrades. :D

Confused about DECA

OK.. So with DECA, I understand I dont need my ethernet connection for DVR sharing. But, what about On Demand - won't that connection still be needed?

Also, can I use my Cat6 gigabit network if I want and disable the DECA functionality if I find my network set up is faster?

When can we get these new boxes? I am an existing customer that is bound by contract until October. Honestly, some new HD channels and these new boxes might just be enough to get me to "re-up" - provided they get the VS mess sorted!

Thanks!

1080p light.

Remember that the HR20's are faster than any of the others. Not as quick as the VIP's, but they are not a lug either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)