HR24/H24 Supported video files

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitbret

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
East Idaho
Does anyone know which video codecs and containers are supported natively by the HR24/H24? I have been trying to stream some ripped DVDs to my PC and using Mezzmo to stream the media library, some .avi files and some .m2ts files work fine. Others lock up the receiver to the point that I have to unplug and restart it. If I encode to .mp4 or .m4v, they don't work at all.

I've given up on using my HRs for videos. Too much trouble.
So, I bought the WD TV Live HD media server (the WD TV Hub will also work).
This little unit will play just about every video file I can throw at it.
Also, plays audio and pictures. I have a NAS that has the files, so a PC isn't really needed except to organize the media files.
It connects to my network and then to the TV via HDMI.

I've given up on using my HRs for videos. Too much trouble.
So, I bought the WD TV Live HD media server (the WD TV Hub will also work).
This little unit will play just about every video file I can throw at it.
Also, plays audio and pictures. I have a NAS that has the files, so a PC isn't really needed except to organize the media files.
It connects to my network and then to the TV via HDMI.

Yeah, I'm using a PS3 for my living room tv. I just discovered the media streamer after the installation and wondered how much work it would take to have that kind of capability on the other 3 tvs in the house. Not a biggie. I've tried Tversity and it seems to choke like Mezzmo does on many files. I'll just have to rip to Xvid .avi files if I want it to work unless someone else has some kind of compatibility guide.

Yeah, I'm using a PS3 for my living room tv. I just discovered the media streamer after the installation and wondered how much work it would take to have that kind of capability on the other 3 tvs in the house. Not a biggie. I've tried Tversity and it seems to choke like Mezzmo does on many files. I'll just have to rip to Xvid .avi files if I want it to work unless someone else has some kind of compatibility guide.

Send or direct me to a file you have that TVersity chokes on; I have yet to find one; even HD files.

Send or direct me to a file you have that TVersity chokes on; I have yet to find one; even HD files.

Don't think e-mail will do for that. Tversity takes care of these files fine for my PS3, it's just the HR24 & H24 that they won't work with. You're actually using an HR24 with Tversity and it hasn't choked on anything?

Don't think e-mail will do for that. Tversity takes care of these files fine for my PS3, it's just the HR24 & H24 that they won't work with. You're actually using an HR24 with Tversity and it hasn't choked on anything?

not since they fixed media share

Yeah, it's just MPEG2 and, yeah, that's pretty ridiculous for an MPEG4 receiver but keep in mind, it's still beta... since 2008 I think. :rolleyes: The MPEG2's audio has to be in a certain format too which is NOT the typical MPEG2 OTA broadcast format (don't remember the details here). Despite this, it will actually try to play my MPEG2 recording from Media Center OTA via Tversity but chokes on the bitrate (actually says bitrate too high).

It also only takes jpg but the free version of Tversity seems to handle anything I've thrown at it image wise.

It also only takes one format of audio files but I can't remember what that is. Again, Tversity does a good job of taking care of that for me too.

Yeah, it's just MPEG2 and, yeah, that's pretty ridiculous for an MPEG4 receiver but keep in mind, it's still beta... since 2008 I think. :rolleyes: The MPEG2's audio has to be in a certain format too which is NOT the typical MPEG2 OTA broadcast format (don't remember the details here). Despite this, it will actually try to play my MPEG2 recording from Media Center OTA via Tversity but chokes on the bitrate (actually says bitrate too high).

It also only takes jpg but the free version of Tversity seems to handle anything I've thrown at it image wise.

It also only takes one format of audio files but I can't remember what that is. Again, Tversity does a good job of taking care of that for me too.

It seems to take AC3 multi-channel ok (probably no more than 448kb/s) in the .m2ts container. That gives me some info to experiment with, though. Thanks for the help, guys.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts