HR24 vs. VIP722

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For those missing the "Live TV" button, I think hitting the Exit button on the DirecTV remote accomplishes pretty much the same thing.

The guide is better on Dish. Dish can do 3 hours instead of 1.5 (a feature I really miss, seeing all of primetime on one screen) and can show extra channels if you chose to turn off the picture-in-guide. Simple features that make the guide much more user friendly.

Just press the PREV button and it goes directly to the live program. Hit PREV button again and it goes back to the recorded show directly where it was when you switched to live TV (no need to pause ahead of time).
those are two good options :up

I actually prefer the Directv guide overall. Both have their pros and cons, but the D* guide goes farther out and the 12 hour skip is nice.

To be honest, my only complaint on the HR22 vs the 722k, is the speed. Yes the HR does not do some things as well, but the 722K was not perfect either. Now that the HR24's are faster, I think the field is getting leveled.

Keword search 30SKIP

Go to smart search, type it in, hit red button, get to screen that says no results found, and select ok. Should be good to go, skipping along, 30 seconds at a time :D

I prefer the slip, allows me to see if I skipped something I may wanna go back and see.

And Key word 30slip

Will go the other way, for those that like the other way.
I like the OPTION to do either. :)

On the VIP 722 you can just enter how many hours you want to go ahead and press the right arrow and it will take you there. Maybe you can do that too on the HRXX. I haven't tried it. I used to have Dish Network in my room and DirecTV in the rest of the house.

So from a "non dvr" receiver, it seems clear that you could pause a recorded show, but what about a live show. By this I mean, can I pause a live show on a non-dvr receiver? I am considering a switch to Directv and this solution really works good for me, assuming the pause function is availabe on all receivers.

So from a "non dvr" receiver, it seems clear that you could pause a recorded show, but what about a live show. By this I mean, can I pause a live show on a non-dvr receiver? I am considering a switch to Directv and this solution really works good for me, assuming the pause function is availabe on all receivers.

No, but you can start a recording on a DVR from your non-DVR and start watching it immediately, then pause.

You can skip ahead/back 12 hours at a time with the DirecTV guide by using the green/red buttons. Also, if you press the left button when on the channel in the guide it will highlight the channel number. Then press INFO to bring up the list for that channel. You can then scroll through the entire 12+ days of guide data.

I think the MRV is a joke, they need it more involved.

You can only watch two things from the dvr, on dish you can watch four recordings with only two 722's plus record numerous more shows at the same time (like 6 other shows while watching four dvr recordings)

Direct you can only record 2 and watch 2 dvr recordings, ive tried watching on a new setup (ive been installing MRV for the last coupe weeks over swm) and if you set to watch on one non dvr, you cant watch that show on another non dvr, it says its in use. Complete BS cause i know its possible, dish does it already.

The HR24's are SLOW!!! 722 way faster. And dont plan on watching tv on direct if the power goes out, it takes 10 mintues for each reciever to power up, dish i can watch a dvr or local channel immediately and it only takes about 2 minutes to load a 722

If im wrong on the MRV please let me know, caues i know it can be better than it is, fro some reason they wont allow two receivers to watch the same thing in different positions of the show.

I do like the dish remote layout WAY BETTER, direct needs to change theirs its been that way for 10 years now, time for an update.

troll? im an installer

press menu, then go to setup, i can press the down button 6 times to get down the list and the hr24 shows that i did something about 2 seconds after i let go of the button, its SLOW!!! get over it!

then theres the 5-10 second delay on the MRV when you hit play, on the 722 the tv2 starts playing immediatly

Obviously you dont know what your talking about

So what about picture quality comparing the two receivers? Which has the best picture in SD and also in HD.

IMHO, Directv's HR series boxes have a better picture in HD than the ViP's, but it's not the rcvr's fault, its the compression.

Anyone that says an HR24 is SLOW in a sentence, and then says the 722 is WAY faster, is a troll in my book.

I have not personally used a 24, but what he says goes against every single post I have read in either forum on the 24. It does describe the 21-23 however.

So I agree with elway.

The HR21-23 are horrible, especially with an AM21 connected. Sometimes you hit the button, then have to wait a tad, especially if its recording. The HR24 bounces around with button clicks just fine.

I've not tried anything other than the HR24/H24, but both seem quite a bit slower to respond than the 722's I just left behind. Especially when fast forwarding shows.

It may not be so much the remote or STB, but could just be the way it indexes video. (?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts