HR24HD DVR Noisy Hard Drives...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DBSat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
NC
FYI...I have an HR24 HD DVR that is really noisy...I guess it's the hard drives running all the time, but it is really bothersome. It's about 18 months old and has done this since day one. What can be done other than live with it? It works fine. I feel like all of them proably do this. Anybody else hear that hi pitched noise?

My HR24 doesn't make any noise (knock on wood) Very quiet no matter if it's on or off. I don't know if maybe a cooling fan maybe going in the receiver. What's the temperature of the receiver mine usually runs around 104.

Now Dish receivers on the other hand are very loud especially on daily update.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

FYI...I have an HR24 HD DVR that is really noisy...I guess it's the hard drives running all the time, but it is really bothersome. It's about 18 months old and has done this since day one. What can be done other than live with it? It works fine. I feel like all of them proably do this. Anybody else hear that hi pitched noise?

I'm surprised it's been like that from the beginning and still working! I would make sure I watched everything on it I wanted to and see about getting a replacement before it stops working! If Directv agrees that it's defective, then there would be no contract extension involved.

raoul5788 said:
I'm surprised it's been like that from the beginning and still working! I would make sure I watched everything on it I wanted to and see about getting a replacement before it stops working! If Directv agrees that it's defective, then there would be no contract extension involved.

If its working good luck getting directv to replace it as a defective peice without a tech coming out and swapping it and saying its defective he'll be stuck with it until it finally dies. I want to know what the temp. is on it as well

I would get that changed out. I have 2 HR24s and neither one makes any noise. Although to compare I switched from Dish and a ViP622 and 722 which were both exceptionally noisy all the time.

It's running a little warm...

FYI...Just checked the temp on the unit...Its been on for about 4 hours and is running 124 degrees, I think that is a little warm...After Sunday Tickest is over, if it last, will try to get replaced...Thanks for the info...

I know my hr24 last night (week old) was loud enough at one point I got out of bed to check on the sound...and it was not on or recording. Try and get them to replace it for u without contract extension.

Chances that a DVR with the only fault being that its noisy getting replaced is vanishingly small.

The temperature max is 129F. If you bundle it up a bit, DIRECTV may call you and tell you it is too hot. ;)

Why put an internal temp reaing on the unit?

...What other electroncis device tells you the temp? If it gets to 150 degrees: it opens up the adult (hot) channels...then dies after 3 hours!

Hr24's are noisy sometimes, and some tend to run warm. 124 is on the warm side but within spec.If dtv tech does a service swap you will sign a lease agreement, but it does not extend your contract terms. You are agreeing that when you end service with dtv you will return the reciever.

DBSat said:
FYI...Just checked the temp on the unit...Its been on for about 4 hours and is running 124 degrees, I think that is a little warm...After Sunday Tickest is over, if it last, will try to get replaced...Thanks for the info...

Mines been on all day and it's at 104 so that is a little warm.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Acceptable temperature depends on whether it's in a closed cabinet or not. I have two HR24s. Both run very quiet. The one in the entertainment center runs at 116 degrees. The one out in the open runs at 106. Both temps are fine and within normal parameters. I had a very loud HR24 about a year ago. When I checked its temp, it was running as high as 144. D* was very interested in the issue. I was put in touch with the technical department in El Segundo and I had to return the DVR directly there bypassing the usual return procedure.

TDK1044 said:
Acceptable temperature depends on whether it's in a closed cabinet or not.

Acceptable temps are anything that are within the manufacturer spec. It really is immaterial whether the device is in a cabinet.

If a cabinet is restricting air circulation to the point of the equipment running hot -out of spec - then circulation needs to be improved. I had an old entertainment center once with a fully enclosed back (other than a slot for cable). I ended up cutting a hole near the top and installed a whisper fan.

Another possible cause of noise is an obstructed fan. I've responded to many PC service calls about noise and found the cause to be something as simple as a piece of paper stuck in the fan - think of the old kid practice of sticking playing cards in the spokes of a bike to make a "motor" noise. Besides paper, other common ones are cable ties or wires that came in contact with the fan blades when the device was shoved backwards.

Personally I don't like seeing any electronic devices stuck in confined cabinets (other than properly designed and ventilated racks). Sure cabinets look pretty but can significantly shorten the life of electronic equipment.

When an HR 24 overheats and you reboot it, it runs through a series of cooling cycles. The internal temperature has to get to 125 degrees before the device will engage the start up procedures. it produces on screen messages telling you that it won't boot up until an internal temp of under 125 has been reached. It will keep the cooling cycle active until that temperature is reached.

The maximum safe operating temperature is actually about ten degrees higher than that, but the device won't reboot unless the temp is lower than 125. If the normal operating temp on your HR24 is anywhere under 120 degrees, then you're fine.

Another possible cause of noise is an obstructed fan. I've responded to many PC service calls about noise and found the cause to be something as simple as a piece of paper stuck in the fan

Another thing for computer fans are fabric from blankets. My wife use to put a blanket on her lap then her computer. Little fabrics from the blanket go into the fan and cause it to slow down and make noise. (I know this isn't a Directv problem.)

In DBSat case sometimes cooling fans go bad for no reason. It could be starting to show signs of going bad since the temp is just a little high. I had a computer when the fan went bad it was noisy and then it would stop but if I hit the side of the computer it turned back on and after getting tired of doing this replaced the fan. So any case what ever is making it noisy I'd try to replace this receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)