HR34 (Genie) recording duplicates on Series Recording

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JonBlack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Lowcountry, SC
On Friday I set up our new HR34 to do a bunch of Series Recordings. I noticed on a show recording tonight that it recorded twice. Then I checked the "To Do List" and pretty much all of the upcoming NEW episodes are scheduled to be recorded twice. The funny thing is when I checked the "To Do List" throughout the weekend there weren't any duplicates. Also, a series show recorded on Friday night and did not record a duplicate.

Is this a bug in the HR34 or did I set up the series recording wrong?

Any other suggestions?

On Friday I set up our new HR34 to do a bunch of Series Recordings. I noticed on a show recording tonight that it recorded twice. Then I checked the "To Do List" and pretty much all of the upcoming NEW episodes are scheduled to be recorded twice. The funny thing is when I checked the "To Do List" throughout the weekend there weren't any duplicates. Also, a series show recorded on Friday night and did not record a duplicate.

Is this a bug in the HR34 or did I set up the series recording wrong?

Any other suggestions?
I'm gonna guess you did verify in your Recordings that it is set for "First Run" only, correct ?

or you set up multiple recordings. The HR34 is too stupid to figure out there is a duplicate recording event and to only record it once instead of tying up 2 tuners to make 2 copies.

It's happened to me a few times in the 20 days I've had my system - I'd set up a series recording for a show and I'd use my DIRECTV online app to set up a recording of that show forgetting I had a series recording previously set and that show would be recorded twice - once by the series recording and once by my manual online-scheduled recording.

On Friday I set up our new HR34

Its a slight bug when the HR34 is "new" or after a master reset. I noticed the same thing on Tuesday when I hooked up my HR34 at the new place. I had to do a master reset for it to find the new dish on the apartment building. There were a few series that recorded more than one of the "new" episodes the 1st couple days but since Thursday it has been fine

Give it a few days to work out the kinks and you should be fine then

I'm gonna guess you did verify in your Recordings that it is set for "First Run" only, correct ?

Yes, it's for first run only. The thing is that the duplicate recordings are for the same show at the same time. So if the "first run" show is scheduled to record Monday at 9:00-10:00, it is recording it twice!

or you set up multiple recordings. The HR34 is too stupid to figure out there is a duplicate recording event and to only record it once instead of tying up 2 tuners to make 2 copies.

It's happened to me a few times in the 20 days I've had my system - I'd set up a series recording for a show and I'd use my DIRECTV online app to set up a recording of that show forgetting I had a series recording previously set and that show would be recorded twice - once by the series recording and once by my manual online-scheduled recording.

I double checked the series options. It is not set up twice according to what I'm seeing in the HR34 information.

On Friday I set up our new HR34

Its a slight bug when the HR34 is "new" or after a master reset. I noticed the same thing on Tuesday when I hooked up my HR34 at the new place. I had to do a master reset for it to find the new dish on the apartment building. There were a few series that recorded more than one of the "new" episodes the 1st couple days but since Thursday it has been fine

Give it a few days to work out the kinks and you should be fine then

That sounds like my exact problem. Hopefully, it'll work itself out.

if its the same channel it doesnt tie up 2 tuners. There have been times I've recorded back to back sporting events on a channel with one overlapping (by up to 1/2 hour) and its only one tuner being used

And this is the HR34's fault ?
Its doing what you told it to do.

Just saying ....

Sometimes there will be duplicate recordings if one of them doesn't have the correct data saying it's not a new episode. My HR24 will record it as new anyway.

well my HR34 froze so I did a reboot and the series episodes tonight showed in there twice for each showing
same time same channel

I removed the series from the list and re-inputted it which fixed that

There were no other series in the guide so I'll have to look later to see once the guide repopulates if it duplicates them or not

It does this whenever you set up a new series timer. You either have to manage the To Do list each day or delete the extra recording. It works itself out with the second episode of the series.

sorry but that is wrong.
Last Tuesday I set up 28 series timers after I moved into my new location. I had master reset the HR34 to find what satellite setup was on the roof of the apartment complex.
All timers set up properly
Only when I did the reboot tonight did it put the series in there twice (just the 3 set up for tonight)

I've noticed Directv has some first run flaws. I've noticed this on not just the HR34. I think the problem is the INFO DATA. Not always does it have the Air Date on all the programs all the time.

The issues I've had, have been all on episodes that were missing the original air date info.

And this is the HR34's fault ?
Its doing what you told it to do.

Just saying ....

of course it is.

For example, when the show is "2 Broke Girls" airing from 8:00 to 8:30 PM on KRQE HD, you'd think the HR34 would be smart enough to see there are two recordings set for that exact same show title, exact same time and exact same channel and be smart enough to figure out it is a duplicate event and only record one of them instead of both.

and while recording it showed up as two entries with the recording icon so it took two tuners to record.

of course it is.

For example, when the show is "2 Broke Girls" airing from 8:00 to 8:30 PM on KRQE HD, you'd think the HR34 would be smart enough to see there are two recordings set for that exact same show title, exact same time and exact same channel and be smart enough to figure out it is a duplicate event and only record one of them instead of both.

and while recording it showed up as two entries with the recording icon so it took two tuners to record.

You would think ...

Your saying you only put 1 recording in, obviously and it recorded twice , same time and channel ?

Are you on the CE software or the NR software ?

Can you duplicate this issue on a regular basis ?

Your saying you only put 1 recording in, obviously and it recorded twice , same time and channel ?

yes when I rebooted my HR34 today it showed the 3 series tonight twice in the list
WWE Monday Night Raw
2 Broke Girls
Pawn Stars

when I deleted the series timer and reset it back up it only showed once per episode. Ironically all the other timers are filling in and only showing once. I am on NR software

yes when I rebooted my HR34 today it showed the 3 series tonight twice in the list
WWE Monday Night Raw
2 Broke Girls
Pawn Stars

when I deleted the series timer and reset it back up it only showed once per episode. Ironically all the other timers are filling in and only showing once. I am on NR software

So, it is happening on only a few shows ? Not all recordings ?

On the NR, does it happen when using the CE software as well ?

again this is the 1st time it did it to me and that was because my HR34 froze and required a reboot
I havent loaded CE since October so dont know if it happens on that

You would think ...

I don't know how much of a regular basis I can duplicate it, but I seem to notice it often when recordings were done from two sources. In my case, one of the recordings is from a series recording/first run and the other is done from a recording I set with my smart phone DIRECTV app when I am not sure if I have a series recording so I use the app to set a recording to make sure I don't miss the airing.

I have the normal HR34 software (no CE or whatever).

it is lame that the event is in the to do list due to series/first run recording and yet the directv app won't report to me the recording already exists in the to-do list when I try to do it with the directv app, thus avoiding a double recording of the same airing. If the directv app is too stupid to be that interactive, then at least the HR34 firmware should realize there is a series recording and a directv app initiated recording of the exact same show/time/channel and should only record one instance instead of both.

That's why the HR34 is stupid when it comes to recordings. At least a DISH 625 receiver would tell me a recording exists if I tried to set a recording for something that is already in that receiver's recording queue.

That's why the HR34 is stupid when it comes to recordings. At least a DISH 625 receiver would tell me a recording exists if I tried to set a recording for something that is already in that receiver's recording queue.
When I had dish 622 and 722 I can also back up your statement.

They never had this issue. I remember Directv having this issue when I used to have service just befor I visited cable for a year with my HR22.
Last night, I set Pawn stars "First Run" and guess what, it never recored the 10 pm only the 10:30 and this time they both had the proper air date..

So some of you guys can claim its not flawed, but I suggest you try viewing some other websites. There are very limited Directv members here.

You would think ...

I'm way too new of a D* subscriber to even consider the CE releases.

My duplicates are recording on "series" events, set to "first run". If I set up a recording in advanced for a show or event, it doesn't appear to be duplicating the recording.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts