Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
They started rolling 0x740 out to the Genie receivers this week.
From the 0x725 update there is nothing but tweaks.

For users that never got 0x725 here is the changes:

-Removed OTA scanning capability - Receivers now only receive OTA channels that are in the DirecTV OTA database, there is no scanning.
-Upgraded TV Apps to HD (press right arrow on remote)

Is there any way to get rid of the channel banners (best way I can describe them) in the guide, and why are they even there? They are a real annoyance and take up unnecessary space. If I want to record those programs, I’ll record them without the need to be prompted.

Also, DirecTV needs to come up with the same or similar software that Dish has for recording, because when I set a program to record (HR44) for first run only, often times it will record every darn episode. I can see why the DVR does this because the information in the guide is the same thing, so it’s seeing each episode as a first run. More information needs to be added or something needs to be flagged to prevent this. However, there are times the info is different and it will still record every episode, then I have to go through the to do list and cancel the repeats. Adding a M-F option would help because first run alone isn’t cutting it. Coming from Dish where this wasn’t a problem makes this very frustrating. I have mentioned this to the advanced tech department, but as of yet nothing seems to be happening. They acted like they weren’t aware this was a problem until I gave them a program to record and then they saw what I was referring to and said they would take note. Nothing.

Is there any way to get rid of the channel banners (best way I can describe them) in the guide, and why are they even there? They are a real annoyance and take up unnecessary space. If I want to record those programs, I’ll record them without the need to be prompted.

Also, DirecTV needs to come up with the same or similar software that Dish has for recording, because when I set a program to record (HR44) for first run only, often times it will record every darn episode. I can see why the DVR does this because the information in the guide is the same thing, so it’s seeing each episode as a first run. More information needs to be added or something needs to be flagged to prevent this. However, there are times the info is different and it will still record every episode, then I have to go through the to do list and cancel the repeats. Adding a M-F option would help because first run alone isn’t cutting it. Coming from Dish where this wasn’t a problem makes this very frustrating. I have mentioned this to the advanced tech department, but as of yet nothing seems to be happening. They acted like they weren’t aware this was a problem until I gave them a program to record and then they saw what I was referring to and said they would take note. Nothing.

I agree the banners are annoying..

As for first run only, there are options for that and I rarely get a re-run recorded, but I have the HR34, not the HR44 so maybe there is something wrong there, but I thought that part of the software was the same on both.

I had the HR34 before the HR44, and as you say, there is no difference. Unless I’m missing something, I’m not seeing anything in the options menu, other than first run, that I can do differently. The only thing I may not be clear on is the “keep at most option.”

The Keep at Most option lets you decide how many episodes you want to keep: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10 or All. If you select “All Episodes” for a show that appears many times in the guide, you may find it uses disk space rapidly.

If I select 1, I take that to mean it will only record one first run episode. I want to record all first run episodes. If I want to record every first run only, which option do I select? I currently have 5 selected. Is that my problem?

"-Removed OTA scanning capability - Receivers now only receive OTA channels that are in the DirecTV OTA database, there is no scanning"

Darn! My CW HD is carried on sub-channel that is NOT included in the database. I just got an HR34 and sure enough I can now manually record The CW HD. Easy come easy, easy go I guess.

Is there any way to get rid of the channel banners (best way I can describe them) in the guide, and why are they even there? They are a real annoyance and take up unnecessary space.

No way to turn off banners. They are tied to a certain channel number, for example the several above HBO are tied to channel 501. Remove that channel from your favorites list and you won't see that banner.

Now, that said, they change the banners around quite a bit.

If you lose OTA scanning on your Genie, all hope is not lost. I got mine back by following seemingly wrong advice.

I forget that if I learned how to do this on here or the "other" one, but here's what you do. It did work for me...
-Re-do the initial set up on your AM21.
-When you re-set it, put your real zip code in the primary. If you use a real secondary zip code, input that as well.
Are you missing a channel? Do this now:
-Reset the AM21 again (initial set up).
-Input your primary zip. HOWEVER, do NOT put in the secondary zip you normally would. Instead, input a zip code for ANY DMA that has the desired subchannel numbers and are in the Directv database of stupidity. RF frequencies do not seem to matter. Sometimes, you can find the same affiliate (Metv, Antenna TV, etc). The database can be downloaded on the "other" site. The missing channels from the 3rd zip are added to the list. The previous set up, however, remains. It seems to just keep building on it. I did it with 3 extra zips and it didn't erase anything, just added the missing channels.

Some of you are shaking your head right now, thinking I am an idiot. Don't worry, I don't blame you. I argued with the original poster about how this wouldn't work until they just told me to try it. And it DOES work. I have x740 software, HR34, and AM21.

Yes, it's annoying and time consuming. But it worked for me and a few others so at least try it when you get x740 software. I got 6 cities in my guide - Greensboro NC, Raleigh NC, and Roanoke VA are really what the listings state (true locals), but I have a few subchannels from Indiana, Memphis, and Vermont in my guide to make subchannels recordable. It's easy to create a TitanTV custom guide with just the missing channels to actually see what's on.

(Note: if you RBR or download a CE, you have to re-do the set up.)

Last edited:
CW HD for me is on something like 27-2 while CW is actually 46-1 in my DMA. CW om 46 is SD while HD on 27-2. Going to CW's local web site they claim they are HD. Makes no sense but I'm used to NOT watching the CW so I won't worry about it. All I can figure is CW rented transmitter space on another stations tower to broadcast HD and DirecTV only carries the SD version of the channel.

lol well I guess Ill spill the information as to whats really in this software release.....

Were not sure if it got pushed in error nationwide at this point, so it may go away, but...

This software update enables the wireless video bridge for the c41ws, check under whole whole settings, and youll see the new option. This update is meant for beta markets, but went national. Possibly by mistake, perhaps it was intended. Who knows.....

"-Removed OTA scanning capability - Receivers now only receive OTA channels that are in the DirecTV OTA database, there is no scanning"

Darn! My CW HD is carried on sub-channel that is NOT included in the database. I just got an HR34 and sure enough I can now manually record The CW HD. Easy come easy, easy go I guess.
Odd that the station would put their HD signal on a dot channel instead of the main one.

I just want 'em to fix whatever screwed up mediashare on the 44.. ever since 0x725 my videos have been freeze framing something fierce! Worked beautifully before that update.

Odd that the station would put their HD signal on a dot channel instead of the main one.

in smaller markets it is very common. When analog was around there were short markets with missing networks. Digital allowed that to change.

Please bring back OTA scanning capability!

-Removed OTA scanning capability - Why did this have to go away?????? Please bring this feature back Directv!
I now have 30% fewer (12 instead of 17) OTA stations in the South Bend, Indiana area. 1 of the 5 channels that disappeared early Tuesday morning was one I recorded from 6 days a week.

M
y DVR finished a recording at 12:30am Tuesday morning 8/27. Software update occurred at 3:50am. Scheduled recording on one of the dropped channels at 5pm 8/27 did not occur and nothing since. Seems too coincidental to not be caused by the software update.

My equipment is an HR34 with an attached AM21. Directv CSRs confirmed everything is hooked up properly. No amount of rebooting/resetting the AM21 and selecting channels brings back the 5 dropped channel choices. They claimed it might be a broadcast problem, but then I later found this forum which seems to confirm my suspicions.

So far I have not been successful at adding back channels using the secondary zip code trick (I tried Chicago) mentioned earlier in this forum. But I'll try others when I get a chance.

-Removed OTA scanning capability - Why did this have to go away?????? Please bring this feature back Directv!
I now have 30% fewer (12 instead of 17) OTA stations in the South Bend, Indiana area. 1 of the 5 channels that disappeared early Tuesday morning was one I recorded from 6 days a week.

M
y DVR finished a recording at 12:30am Tuesday morning 8/27. Software update occurred at 3:50am. Scheduled recording on one of the dropped channels at 5pm 8/27 did not occur and nothing since. Seems too coincidental to not be caused by the software update.

My equipment is an HR34 with an attached AM21. Directv CSRs confirmed everything is hooked up properly. No amount of rebooting/resetting the AM21 and selecting channels brings back the 5 dropped channel choices. They claimed it might be a broadcast problem, but then I later found this forum which seems to confirm my suspicions.

So far I have not been successful at adding back channels using the secondary zip code trick (I tried Chicago) mentioned earlier in this forum. But I'll try others when I get a chance.
What DMA are you and what channel numbers are you missing? Maybe I can help you.

What DMA are you and what channel numbers are you missing? Maybe I can help you.

Zip code is 46530. I believe it says "IN-South Bend/Elkhart, MI-Benton Harbor" when I enter my zip code and scan.
Missing channels are...25-2, 28-2, 46-3, 46-4, and 57-2. The one I watched most is the last one...57-2.

Thanks in advance!

Listen to Coconut... his advice works and is a lifesaver. I know there is a 57-2 in Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY. (05401) They have a 28-2 as well.

Zip code is 46530. I believe it says "IN-South Bend/Elkhart, MI-Benton Harbor" when I enter my zip code and scan.
Missing channels are...25-2, 28-2, 46-3, 46-4, and 57-2. The one I watched most is the last one...57-2.

Thanks in advance!
Will take a little while to research this, but I should be back within an hour.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)