Service in Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trickydick

Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Canada
I have a directv account here in Florida I was wondering if it would work just over the boarder in Canada. I know its not legal wondering if the service will work. I also had at one time an account in Canada Bell Expressvu and they did something with the sat so I could not get the signal here in Florida.
Thanks
Rick

:welcome to Satelliteguys Rick!

As you noted it isn't legal (by Canadian law) to have Directv in Canada. That being said, it will work as long as you aren't too far north. You will get the national channels, but not the local Florida stations since those are on a spot beam only receivable in your local area.

Depending on how far over the border you are you could get local stations for a nearby US city, many Canadians use a Buffalo address, Detroit address, etc. Others will move to a NY or LA address as you will get the big-4 networks, NY and LA are nationally broadcast for out-of-market customers. You wouldn't be able to get them as out-of-network, but if you moved to NYC they would work.

Keep in mind you will get the local sports RSN for the area you move to if you do that, so if you want the Florida fox-sports or SUN that would be an issue.

Also looking for DTV in Canada info.

There was a great thread where people had info on how to get set up etc. but the thread is closed, and I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of this info please....

Thanks in advance!

I was going to :welcome you to Satelliteguys SatNewbie58, but you have been a member for nearly three years! :)
Is the thread closed or deleted? It should still have the information you are looking for if it's only closed. Failing that, I would try a google search.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)