HR54 - 4K Genie FIRST LOOK

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm with peds... seems like a dumb product and has nothing to do with directv or the hr54... and to ellaborate... when activating a Samsung 4k tv that is what adds the 4k service to your account. I'm wondering if this service could be added manually or if someone had both a Sammy 4k and a Sony 4k both on rvu if they would both work.

Quick someone buy both tvs so we can find out..

Yeah I plan on upgrading mine to one of the new Samsung 4k tvs at some point but for now when I switch over to Direct the HR54 is the most current Genie and what is the most current Dish that Direct is using? I just want to make sure everything is the latest.. :)

Yeah I plan on upgrading mine to one of the new Samsung 4k tvs at some point but for now when I switch over to Direct the HR54 is the most current Genie and what is the most current Dish that Direct is using? I just want to make sure everything is the latest.. :)
The question isn't what dish to use, the AU-9. The question is what LNB to use. That will be determined by where you live and what satellite you local stations are coming from.

That and the 54 isn't released yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hear people are starting to get their C61K units. We should have more details and pics later. :)

Awesome!! Id like to see the reverse band LNB.. that and end up on the Ateam and get to play with some of this stuff. Anyhow.. word on the street is you will need the 54 to properly decode the signals that the 61 uses. Then you need the reverse band lnb. Im curious if this is going to be like the original HD transition where alot was on the 119 but the 99/103 just launched. And you could just set it as a trip sat and get alot of hd. So what im wondering is if you put a 61 on a 44 if you will get access to the 4k out now, but any new content will require a 54.

Reactions: Stephen Henson
Minor corrrection kitty, the original hd transmissions were from 110, not 119.

Awesome!! Id like to see the reverse band LNB.. that and end up on the Ateam and get to play with some of this stuff. Anyhow.. word on the street is you will need the 54 to properly decode the signals that the 61 uses. Then you need the reverse band lnb. Im curious if this is going to be like the original HD transition where alot was on the 119 but the 99/103 just launched. And you could just set it as a trip sat and get alot of hd. So what im wondering is if you put a 61 on a 44 if you will get access to the 4k out now, but any new content will require a 54.

Ditto

When are they gonna release it? I have a 4K TV now. If they are gonna release it soon I may finally take the plunge to Direct. Have always hate the contract thing.... stupid I know but it bugs me. :)
Comcast supposedly has a new X1 4K box coming in the near future, so we'll see wins the race!

Just a quick question. I see HR54 and 4K support by my understanding was the HR44 would also support 4K with the new LNB when available ..can someone confirm please?

Just a quick question. I see HR54 and 4K support by my understanding was the HR44 would also support 4K with the new LNB when available ..can someone confirm please?
Those that know can't talk, those that talk are going by rumors, so take anything with a huge grain of salt.

Those that know can't talk, those that talk are going by rumors, so take anything with a huge grain of salt.
Not true...

You are thinking about that other place. :D

To answer the persons question above, the answer is YES and NO it can view the 4K VOD content using the 4K RVU Client which is currently on Samsung TV's and is coming soon to LG and Sony 4K sets as well. The Genie will pass the 4K to those clients. However the current genie WILL NOT be able to view the live programming coming in the future which will use bonded transponders. Only the HR54 will be able to do that, and really in the big scope of things that the only difference between the 54 and the other Genies.

Ok this is long overdue and I appologize...

The C61K is here and it is AWESOME. It will allow you to stream 4K content to any TV in your house and will down covert the 4K to the highest resolution your TV can support.

To see 4K you need to plug the C61K into your TV's MHL port, that HDMI port must support HDCP 2.2 to display 4K or the picture will be downconverted to 1080P.

There is not much to the C61K it functions like any other client box, only different is when its hooked up to a supported 4K set then you see a 4K resolution setting in the menu. it has a Input, outpit, HDMI, USB, Optical and Coaxial audio out ports. It also had a detachable hook so you can hang the box behind your TV for no visible wires showing. The remote is an IR/RF remote.

Still no live 4K programming yet, which kind of stinks because there are only so many times you can watch Forest Gump in 4K. :D

Pics are below. More to come from DIRECTV by the end of the month. :) Stay Tuned!

Attachments

• c61k1.png
    c61k1.png
    206 KB · Views: 741
  • c61k2.png
    c61k2.png
    195.3 KB · Views: 681
  • c61k3.png
    c61k3.png
    129 KB · Views: 786
Last edited by a moderator:
Why must the C61K be plugged into an MHL enabled HDMI port on a 4K set?

To make sure the HDMI port the C61K is plugged into is 4K capable?

What, is it because that typically only one HDMI port on a 4K TV (the one labeled MHL) is 4K capable?

That is correct, for the 2014 Samsung TV's there is only one port that works with it. The 2015 sets howerever I believe all of them may work. Others makers sets may vary. This was tested on a 2014 Samsung 4K TV.

Why does it matter having a 4K TV? There is 0 linear content right now. Unless you are looking of paying big bucks for overpriced PPVs movies........

There's more and more 4K content coming out now Amazon Prime is doing 4K along with Netflix as well. Plus more HDR content is being released as well by on demand and as well as other App services like MGO. Also you will start seeing as early as this fall the new Ultra HD Players being released which mean movies will start shipping in Ultra HD as well. So I would say towards the end of this year and this time next year we will have more and more things heading towards 4k as well more channels making the switch as well.

Yeah I think the 2015 Models will only have one MHL port since it's not commonly used that much mainly for Mobile devices and that looks like what the C61K is beaning treated like. The rest of the 4K TV as long as your Direct or Dish is a 4K receiver it will do 4K through HDMI which is wear most will watch their 4K or through stream 4K from a App like Netflix of Amazon then watch movies on the new Ultra HD players as well.

There's more and more 4K content coming out now Amazon Prime is doing 4K along with Netflix as well. Plus more HDR content is being released as well by on demand and as well as other App services like MGO. Also you will start seeing as early as this fall the new Ultra HD Players being released which mean movies will start shipping in Ultra HD as well. So I would say towards the end of this year and this time next year we will have more and more things heading towards 4k as well more channels making the switch as well.
Of course, when you take my quote out context you theory fits right. I was quoting someone that was asking when DIRECTV® was going to have a 4K STB, and my replay was that at this time it does not matter.

Of course, when you take my quote out context you theory fits right. I was quoting someone that was asking when DIRECTV® was going to have a 4K STB, and my replay was that at this time it does not matter.

Oh ok. Be interesting to see what they do with the HR54 so I hope it's good.. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)