HS17-100 (For those wondering)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If based on past experience I wouldn't expect any difference between the -100 and -500 that the customer would see. I would also guess that there is no cable or DSL modem built into the box since DIRECTV usually doesn't include anything more then necessary to provide their service.
This is the model Humax was showing at their web site. I guess people assumed earlier specs looked like it showed a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem built but now it just shows support for DOCSIS 3.0. Sorry I should have said the cable modem wouldn't have been used for the Internet just for making connecting the clients better and faster?

http://americas.humaxdigital.com/home-gateway/

While they're at it, if they are ordering new DVR's from Technicolor or Humax or Samsung (700) why not do us all a big favor. Have them configure a unit incorporating a internal hard drive that allows for the inclusion of a external hard drive that work together. Oh, and jump into the 21st century and utilize a USB connection instead of the esata connection now in use.

While they're at it, if they are ordering new DVR's from Technicolor or Humax or Samsung (700) why not do us all a big favor. Have them configure a unit incorporating a internal hard drive that allows for the inclusion of a external hard drive that work together. Oh, and jump into the 21st century and utilize a USB connection instead of the esata connection now in use.
Well since every Genie had had a USB connection on them and a eSATA port I don't think it's a hardware issue but a decision by DIRECTV to no write the software to do what you want.

And make it so you don't lose your recordings when you have to change recvrs .... while thier at it !

For those wondering about the HS17-100 and the PDF that was posted, I have been told that the HS17 will be for commercial use (such as sports bars) and there are no plans to make it available to consumers.

I am once again told that there will be no new receivers for consumers in the year 2017.

I am only repeating what I have been told, I don't work for AT&T and thus when I ask them to verify this information I can only pass along what I am told.

Remember folks only SatelliteGuys was with DIRECTV and reporting from their EXPO this year.

I do retail installs, and was told by our rep that the HS-17 will be residential as well as commercial. The new box will not use a dish as it is IPTV.

They also hinted at a possible wireless 4K box coming out this year.

Also my rep said as of Jan 15th, we can't install new SD on an existing customer, only SVC swaps, and they are in the process of phasing out all non-genie equiptment.

Well that furthers the opinion that they don't care at all about those with 2nd homes and or RVers.
The Majority of campers are not going to have the internet available for TV viewing and cottages as well.

Glad we're in the very early stages of this.

Somewhere down the line they will have to address this.

Basically IF they go this route as a whole (long time from now) they will also lose one of their subs that it was designed for, those way out that cannot get Internet or fast enough internet.

I gotta believe that this box will not be the only way to get service in the future.

I do retail installs, and was told by our rep that the HS-17 will be residential as well as commercial. The new box will not use a dish as it is IPTV.

Also my rep said as of Jan 15th, we can't install new SD on an existing customer, only SVC swaps, and they are in the process of phasing out all non-genie equiptment.
I haven't paid close attention to the upcoming HS17, but this is the first I've heard that it will be IPTV only. No dish? Haven't heard that before.

iptv? so that would abandon all those customers that cannot get internet?
is directv prepared to lose that many people?

Reactions: Mauiguy

Then why does the photo of the HS-17 show a SWM 15 tuner input?

Attachments

• HS17 Back.jpg
    HS17 Back.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 283
iptv? so that would abandon all those customers that cannot get internet?
is directv prepared to lose that many people?
You do realize it would probably be focusing on LTE technology for those people.
I mean we are talking about a Cellular Phone Company.

Universal box maybe.. but IPTV only is complete BS and sounds like this Rep is just spouting stuff out

You do realize it would probably be focusing on LTE technology for those people.

i cannot imagine them doing this
they throttle phones @ 22gb. streaming tv would be hundreds of gb, maybe even over a tb if you have 4k

IMHO AT&T would love U-Verse to go away for TV and use that bandwidth for internet to help stop the bleeding of internet subs going to cable.

I bet the folks that are actually testing these boxes, if they are reading this thread, are having a good laugh watching all the guessing going on as to what this box will do. I see it going from just an updated Genie with a bunch of tuners to this new magic all in one box that will do everything in the home for TV and internet.

IMHO AT&T would love U-Verse to go away for TV and use that bandwidth for internet to help stop the bleeding of internet subs going to cable.

I bet the folks that are actually testing these boxes, if they are reading this thread, are having a good laugh watching all the guessing going on as to what this box will do. I see it going from just an updated Genie with a bunch of tuners to this new magic all in one box that will do everything in the home for TV and internet.
I deleted my last post because I forgot about them wanting to get rid of IPTV to free up the Internet bandwidth so they can compete with cable Internet.

and in that case the result would be the same. I have no cable, cannot get it, and no cell reception. I suspect, without being able to prove it, that I am not alone. Back in the day when i first got DTV, I probably would have gone for cable, just because i did not know better, so with out satellite delivery they lose me.

Uverse multicast is better then Directv now. Even more so fiber to the node and gpon fiber subs with 32:1 splits

For commercial will they run fiber to tv only subs? sell 100-200 meg internet at 6-50 meg costs for tv subs? To get 8-16 Tv feeds for commercial may need 100-200 down to get it at a good bit rate.

and in that case the result would be the same. I have no cable, cannot get it, and no cell reception. I suspect, without being able to prove it, that I am not alone. Back in the day when i first got DTV, I probably would have gone for cable, just because i did not know better, so with out satellite delivery they lose me.
Thank you, your making the point that I have been saying since the news came out.
They would lose a Lot of subs if they don't have other options available as well.

Will they release a new interface to go along with this receiver? Overall I have very few complaints other than the guide. I wish that it had more hours visible and channel logos also. Similar to the hopper guide.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)