Status
Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hi,

Yet another question: Which is better?

It seems that several sites give you the option of choosing which brand of equipment you would like; there is the hughest directors pack as well as the direct tv D10. So, which is better w/ more features (and bug free)?

Thanks,
-Steven

S43R80 said:
Hi,

Yet another question: Which is better?

It seems that several sites give you the option of choosing which brand of equipment you would like; there is the hughest directors pack as well as the direct tv D10. So, which is better w/ more features (and bug free)?

Thanks,
-Steven

A sales rep that I just talked to seemed to be pushing the "hughes" brand. However, she said that there is no functional differences between the two; is this true - neither is better?

Unless you are talking about Sony and your talking about them like 2 years ago ... no there is not much difference in ANY of the brands. Prime example the Tivo DVR40, Sold as Hughes, Phillips and RCA yet the only difference is the plastic bezel on the front.

But isn't there a difference in the service and support organization behind the products? I don't even know if the warranty period is the same or not.

I purchased the HD-300 Sony based on my past dealings in the service area where they were much better than other brands that I have bought especially RCA's service dept.

slacker9876 said:
Unless you are talking about Sony and your talking about them like 2 years ago ... no there is not much difference in ANY of the brands. Prime example the Tivo DVR40, Sold as Hughes, Phillips and RCA yet the only difference is the plastic bezel on the front.

Is one of the models older than the other? Or is the Hughes director tuner the same model as the direct tv D10 tuner?

I cannot definitivly answer that, becuase I do not know. That varries from vendor to vendor quite a bit. Most of the folks on this site seem to like the sponsor Value Electronics; I do not know of any reason not to use them as a new subscriber. They do offer an additional 10% off to SatelliteGuys members.

colofan said:
But isn't there a difference in the service and support organization behind the products? I don't even know if the warranty period is the same or not.

I purchased the HD-300 Sony based on my past dealings in the service area where they were much better than other brands that I have bought especially RCA's service dept.

On the Value Electronics web site they mention that they are giving you a free 2 year extended warranty on Hughes Receivers. I believe the RCA D10 is 90 days?

Directv has sold the Hughes brand and manufacturing facilities to Thomson Consumer Electronics(RCA) so the brand will be going away. The D-10 is newer and will become the only Directv base model receiver. The Hughes operating system is easier to use and I prefer it to the D-10 but both are good base model receivers.

boba said:
Directv has sold the Hughes brand and manufacturing facilities to Thomson Consumer Electronics(RCA) so the brand will be going away. The D-10 is newer and will become the only Directv base model receiver. The Hughes operating system is easier to use and I prefer it to the D-10 but both are good base model receivers.

Hmm...I just placed an order and selected the Hughes setup; since the D10 is newer, do you think I should call and change my order before they ship it? Or, does it really even make a difference?

I currently have D10's and am pleased with the ease of operation, menus and quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)