Hughes HR10-250 HDMI ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mtnmike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Longmont, Colorado
I understand there was a problem (rumor??) with the HDMI out to HDMI in on these units when they first came out. Is this true and if so has the problem been corrected by the manufacture?? I have a Sony Grand Wega HDTV with HDMI input and am looking to purchase this unit. I currently have a triple LNB dish and am running a Phillips TIVO from D*. I only need the HD-DVR but am a little hesistant about buying this unit if there is a known HDMI problem.

One other question. I am a D* four year customer and have never pressured them for a discount on any upgrade. I have seen various posts referring to D* customer retention rewarding longtime customers on an upgrade. The $900 plus price for the HR10-250 is strectching my wallet. How would one get a discount from D* for this unit since they don't sell direct and refer customers to retail. Any ideas???

Thanks

Mine works using the HDMI to DVI cable to my television.

Mtnmike said:
One other question. I am a D* four year customer and have never pressured them for a discount on any upgrade. I have seen various posts referring to D* customer retention rewarding longtime customers on an upgrade. The $900 plus price for the HR10-250 is strectching my wallet. How would one get a discount from D* for this unit since they don't sell direct and refer customers to retail. Any ideas???

Thanks

I called the customer retention center, and told them that I was comparing prices for HD service. Right away, the Customer Support Rep offered a $150 off the standard HD service installation (HD receiver, dish, OTA antenna, etc..) or $250 credit on activation of a HD Directivo.

Supposedly, you buy the HD Directivo from a third party, activate it, and then the credit will appear on your bill.

Similar to you, I haven't asked them for discounts or any favors, nor did I go in expecting anything.
Supposedly, it may take you a few calls for them to give you a retention offer. But the key is, is to just be courteous and let them know that you comparing different HD services.

According to the folks at the Tivo Community Forum the HDMI hardware failure has been corrected in all units that are make after 11/20/2004.

As far as your dicount there is also a lenghty thread at TCF about getting it. I received two 250.00 credits for HD last year by calling customer retention. I am a 7-year customer, mostly with TC+Locals pacakge, always with NFL ST & NHL CI.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Slacker 9876, do you know where on either the container or unit itself does it give the built date?

Mike

ramy said:
Mine works using the HDMI to DVI cable to my television.
Hope this ins't a bad question...

If you use a HDMI to DVI (converter) cable, wouldn't you still need to use an additional digital audio cable since DVI isn't audio?

Man i hoe that makes sense...

dentonpc said:

If you use a HDMI to DVI (converter) cable, wouldn't you still need to use an additional digital audio cable since DVI isn't audio?

Makes perfect sense, and, yes, if you use the HDMI to DVI cable you have to run separate audio lines. This is the connection I use at home.

In fact, I use one analog, RCA stereo pair cable to run audio to the TV, and I use the optical digital connection to run sound to my audio receiver (sometimes I want full 5.1 surround sound, sometimes I just want regular stereo sound and don't need the receiver on at all).

--Dino

dentonpc said:

Yes you need a digital audio cable, but you would want to anyway if you have a surround receiver to get the 5.1

HDMI works fine

I just bought this unit via weaknees.com and the HDMI port works great (I use the HDMI to DVI cable). They supposedly pre-test all the upgraded units before shipping them.

-Bruce

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)