Hypothetical question regarding lightning

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I live in a apartment & my dish is and has always been unable to be grounded. Therefore when I'm at home and notice flashes of lightning or even loud claps of thunder I unplug the coaxial connection inside. This of course is the connection to the dish itself. With that clarification out of the way...

When the storms clear and I screw it back on is their any risk? I've never given this much thought before and would appreciate your feedback.

Well our meterologists warn us if you can hear thunder there is a possibility of a strike. Unless your dish is higher than the roof of the apartment your odds of a strike decrease.

On the off chance that your dish could be struck, I sure wouldn't want to be holding the end of the cable.

LOL. I'm gonna rephrase again. I'm wanting to know that by chance the dish is struck when I plug the coaxial back in will I get shocked from the strike or is the electricity from the dish no longer present?

The general characteristics if lightning is that there is so much power present and the coax represents a poor conductor, the lightning will follow a lot of other things besides the dish coax. There is a greater chance that the lightning will attach to your house wiring and burn everything out with transduced impulses, even to devices no plugged in.

Or in other words, you worry too much.

Lightning always takes the shortest route, so chances of you getting a Direct strike through the coax into your body is slim. But good chance the outside of your appartment is on fire though where the dish was struck and grounded!

Don't really think a lightening strike to a dish that is grounded or ungrounded. Both systems will fry and any person holding the cable. Just my thoughts. House power is 120v lightening is what 1million plus? just leave the cable in i'd be more worried about high winds causing static to build up on the dish and it having only the coax to discharge down.

I think the question is if the dish were struck by lightning, and then sometime after that you plug the coax to a receiver; no it would do no damage because the electricity has long since gone to ground. It might not work, probably the LNB would be toast. But there should be no residual static to worry about.

I think the question is if the dish were struck by lightning, and then sometime after that you plug the coax to a receiver; no it would do no damage because the electricity has long since gone to ground. It might not work, probably the LNB would be toast. But there should be no residual static to worry about.

THIS! I'm glad someone understood what I was trying to get at. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)