I am a bit confused about skew

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
Currently I have a Ku dish with an Ku LNBF and have to adjust the azimuth and elevation and skew for each new satellite that I want to watch.
This of course is a bit of nuisance.
If I were to convert the mount to a polar mount with an actuator how would I then change the skew when moving between satellites ?
Thanks
Tony

If you get an HH motor it adjusts the skew for you. SG6000 SG2100, sadoun sells some too.

The motor twists the whole dish. You set everything to your true south with 0 degree skew. The specially shaped mount twist the dish with the correct skew as long as you have elevation and your mounting pole is absolutely true

An H to H motor, or a polar mount, automatically adjusts the skew. Imagine someone standing in front of you with their arm pointing at a sat. As they move their arm to an east or west sat, their arm is no longer vertical in reference to the earth. But it still is in line with vertically polarized signals emanating from the sat. That's what a polar or H to H will do. It's like their arm, always inline with the polarity.
(On far E or W sats, the H polarity is closer to vertical, and the Vertical is almost horizontal)
The only time you'd have to add/subtract skew is for amc1 ku, which is off (CCW) approx 20 degrees. The C side is not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)