I am JAILBROKEN! (NOW WHAT?)

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I take it you are convinced that jailbreaking is the cause and have sworn off it as a result.

No, I figure being in the middle of nowhere and losing Verizon service and roaming messed it up. I am still JB for now -- until a later beta of iOS6 is out anyway. Then I'll go back to stock.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
No, I figure being in the middle of nowhere and losing Verizon service and roaming messed it up.
I quickly looked for a help site related to PDANet but only get results from a variety of different websites. Too bad there's not a centralized location to ask about this or more importantly, report it as a possible bug.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I quickly looked for a help site related to PDANet but only get results from a variety of different websites. Too bad there's not a centralized location to ask about this or more importantly, report it as a possible bug.

I assumed at first that there just was no service ( I was somewhere between Harpers Ferry and Cumberland MD and it was pretty rugged terrain; and on the train out, I had no service times. I am not sure if it was PDANet or not, but I got it fixed eventually. I might email June Fabrics directly and tell them what happened. I suspect it was because when I was tethered it went into Extended and the little circle instead of 3G.

While it was frustrating, I don't blame being JB. If anything I was stupid trying to tether in that part of the world. :)

That said I have turned off a few features that were driving me nuts. The Zephyr app which lets you use iPad-like gestures from left to right on the iPhone was causing me to jump out of Bejeweled. So I turned it off. And I eliminated most of IntelliScreen X's features to save battery.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
While it was frustrating, I don't blame being JB. If anything I was stupid trying to tether in that part of the world.
I understand, but my thinking is, for someone using PDANet, how do they know if they'll go into a non-service area and have to do the same reset procedure you did ? If PDANet caused it by trying to work in a roaming area, maybe PDANet could handle it more graciously.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I understand, but my thinking is, for someone using PDANet, how do they know if they'll go into a non-service area and have to do the same reset procedure you did ? If PDANet caused it by trying to work in a roaming area, maybe PDANet could handle it more graciously.

I agree. I'll send them a note later today.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
You know, you could "test" it again.... Turn on tethering and then turn off the cellular radio and see what happens :D

I was initially thinking "how could the PDANet people test this?" and that occurred to me !

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
You know, you could "test" it again.... Turn on tethering and then turn off the cellular radio and see what happens :D

I was initially thinking "how could the PDANet people test this?" and that occurred to me !

I could do that, but the hassle of re-entering all of my passwords and settings isn't worth it. :)

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
With my new Verizon contract the primary reason for my iPhone to be jail broke is gone, so I am restoring it to ios 6. Maybe I'll do it again some day, but nothing that compelling to be out of warranty now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
You're just as far out of warranty on iOS6 beta, as you would be on 5.1.1 jailbroken. That is, not at all.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Jailbreaking does void the Applecare waranty. having said that I am not sure that they would notice or even care.

Then again though there is the issue of whether undoing the jailbreak restores the warranty. I have no idea if that is the case.

Last edited:

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Pepper said:
And I have devices that are jailbroken and still in warranty. Your point?

No you don't . Bring in that jb iOS device to apple for service. At best they will tell you to restore to stock before helping you.

I am not sure what your point was in the beginning. Mine was just that I no longer had the primary need for jb so I went to iOS 6.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
No you don't . Bring in that jb iOS device to apple for service. At best they will tell you to restore to stock before helping you.

I am not sure what your point was in the beginning. Mine was just that I no longer had the primary need for jb so I went to iOS 6.
You should not be texting and driving......

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
Siri can take dictation and send iMessages. No texting needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)