I am JAILBROKEN! (NOW WHAT?)

I switched from Sparrow Push to Sparrow + and it now makes sparrow the default email, shows notifications for it in the lock-screen and in intelliScreenX; I had to play with it, turning off all of the Mail.app notifications, but it works, smooth as butter. :) Sparrow is a great OSX mail client, and their new iPhone app is very good; But Apple does not permit it to PUSH mail, so the hack was necessary.

Its not that the iPhone Mail.app is bad; I just like Sparrow, but thought Apple had crippled it without push capabilities.

I switched from Sparrow Push to Sparrow + and it now makes sparrow the default email, shows notifications for it in the lock-screen and in intelliScreenX; I had to play with it, turning off all of the Mail.app notifications, but it works, smooth as butter. :) Sparrow is a great OSX mail client, and their new iPhone app is very good; But Apple does not permit it to PUSH mail, so the hack was necessary.

Its not that the iPhone Mail.app is bad; I just like Sparrow, but thought Apple had crippled it without push capabilities.

:facepalm:D

This will give you a face palm :)

IMG_0673.jpg

Notice my carrier, and WiFi SSID. :D :D

One of my favorite tweaks is ScrollingBoard. It lets you put an infinite number of apps in folders and on the dock. Another is SBRotator which enables landscape homescreen on iPhones and iPods.

For the iPad, Quasar lets you run stuff in windows.

Speaking of buttery smooth - you do have to be careful not to go too far with crazy tweaks, so not to lose the smoothness of the butter. Chunky butter? Not a good thing. :)

true. you may also find a tweak that would cause a reboot into safe mode. just go back into cydia ,remove whatever you installed last and reboot.

Speaking of buttery smooth - you do have to be careful not to go too far with crazy tweaks...
That's what my son would do on occasion, hence my warning above about tethered/non-tethered JB options. He's 13 now and started doing this when he was 11 - hehe, a geek just like me !! - and eventually grew tired of it. Basically, he knew he couldn't resist the urge to fiddle with things so he asked me to un-jailbreak it ! :D

Cydelete (previously recommended0 simplifies the process of deleting apps. I have to admit I have tried a few that I thought wiould be useful that I quickly jettisoned.

So after you jailbreak then sync and backup with iTunes, what does iTunes backup? Just the standard non-jailbreak stuff? If you "unjailbreak" can you restore with a backup that you made in iTunes after you jailbroke? I'm just wondering what happens if I want to "unjailbreak" three months from now... Will I be able to restore from a current backup, or will I have to use one from before I jailbroke?

iTunes backs up (and restores) your data, settings, etc (for non-JB stuff).

So if I change my mind sometime in the future and want to unjailbreak, I can restore using a backup that was made AFTER the jailbreak. Just want to make sure...

So if I change my mind sometime in the future and want to unjailbreak, I can restore using a backup that was made AFTER the jailbreak. Just want to make sure...

yes. itunes doesn't backup jailbreak itself. like hall said, backs up data,settings,apps etc..... not the OS (i believe) . so from itunes make a fresh back up, then restore your ipad as if it were new. this removes jailbreak and downloads a fresh copy of the iOS to your ipad. then restore your previous backup and you're done. i've done it a few times myself.

yes. itunes doesn't backup jailbreak itself. like hall said, backs up data,settings,apps etc..... not the OS (i believe) . so from itunes make a fresh back up, then restore your ipad as if it were new. this removes jailbreak and downloads a fresh copy of the iOS to your ipad. then restore your previous backup and you're done. i've done it a few times myself.

Excellent. I'll probably never go back, but I foresee a time when I will have to do this to set up a new iPhone in September or October, before the jailbreak is available for the new model. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)