I am JAILBROKEN! (NOW WHAT?)

I doubt iOS 6 will bring much more than iOS 5 and the few things it may bring you may probably already be able to do through JB.

I guess another question is will you be un-jailbreaking to do the Beta?
Depends whats in the beta.

If what I am hearing is true my main use (so far) for Jailbreaking will be fixed and that is being able to use Facetime on 3G so that my son can call me from home on his ipod touch. :)

Depends whats in the beta.

If what I am hearing is true my main use (so far) for Jailbreaking will be fixed and that is being able to use Facetime on 3G so that my son can call me from home on his ipod touch. :)

If all you would get is something you already have why "upgrade?" Most of the buzz seems to be about the new map aplication. Ia mnot sure that is enough to give up all the advantages of jailbreaking but, to be fair, I would have tos ee it first.

If all you would get is something you already have why "upgrade?" Most of the buzz seems to be about the new map aplication. Ia mnot sure that is enough to give up all the advantages of jailbreaking but, to be fair, I would have tos ee it first.

Right now I could walk away from JB and not be any worse; yeah, I like the brightness controls (and used them for the first time when I walked outside), but the notification center stuff is interesting, but not compelling. I am sure I'll go to iOS6 when it comes out, particularly since I am hoping for more iCloud features, but we'll see what happens, and when.

rockymtnhigh said:
And it was remarkably easy. I ignored their suggestion to wipe the phone before jail breaking; was not necessary. Managed to do it in about 5 minutes.

Both my iPhone and iPad kept on hanging during the JB process. So after some Internet searching I ended up factory resetting, jail breaking and then restoring to get all my data back. Apparently I had too much stuff on the devices initially and it was causing the JB software to hang. Wiping first resolved that and everything is good to go now.

So what's the best source for jail breaking an iPhone 4 and do I want tethered or untethered?
I would NEVER use a "tethered JB" option again. You probably don't realize it, but you can't turn the iPod or iPhone OFF without having a PC available to restart the iPod/iPhone with. You MUST boot/power-on with the JB tool.

I did it (had no choice at the time because of the options available) one time and my son crashed his iPod and it shut down. It tried to restart and sat at the Apple logo ... and we were nowhere near a PC for hours.

I'd say the tether option is only for people who a) need to test things or b) always have a PC/Mac available or c) don't care if the above happens.

Well I jail broke my phone for the first time. I have a Cydia icon on my phone. I'm having a little trouble understanding how this Cydia thing works. But almost everything that click on I get the "Note: Cannot locate package" message. It keeps saying "The package cannot be found in your current sources. I might recommend installing more sources".

Can someone explain to me what that means please?

Well I jail broke my phone for the first time. I have a Cydia icon on my phone. I'm having a little trouble understanding how this Cydia thing works. But almost everything that click on I get the "Note: Cannot locate package" message. It keeps saying "The package cannot be found in your current sources. I might recommend installing more sources".

Cydia is like an app market - having done this in the Android world before, it is a lot more elegant. But I am not sure what the answer is to the package can't be found. I have not had any problems with the four or five things I installed.

smokey982 said:

Click the Cydia icon, let it do it's thing, and then restart your phone.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

I went to the changes tab and hit refresh. That seemed to have fixed it.

Is there any danger in downloading apps? I don't know of any instances of getting viruses with iOS so I assume there's nothing to worry about when downloading? I wish the apps had user ratings. There seems to be a ton of options and I have no idea what's good and what's bad.

Cydia will recommend a number of "core" apps/tools/utilities that are needed by most other apps. Install the ones it says first.

Rant: Cydia is APT-based (Debian) and is supposed to be the most intelligent package-installer. You should get errors like that when using it... If an add'l package is req'd, it should tell you and offer to install it first.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the sources are repositories or sites with apps. it sounds like you tried to install an app that it cannot finf in the standard repositiries.

Also google the top cydia tweaks of 2012. You'll see some nice vids of these tweaks in action.

Also google the top cydia tweaks of 2012. You'll see some nice vids of these tweaks in action.

I installed several of them: Push to refresh Safari; Gridlock; MultiIconMover. Very nice. The icon mover should be built in; and to be honest, so should gridlock; no reason to have to have icons fill each space. I got a little creative with it, but it still feels elegant and very iOS. I refused to change the keyboard or icon graphics. Quite happy with the way they look from stock.

What impresses me is how graceful it all is, compared with Clockwork Mod and Rom Manager; with Android it felt like it was intended ONLY for the geeks, but with Cydia, it is very Apple-esque in implementation and response.

I wonder if the development tools force certain styles that keep apps "Apple-esque".

As for really cool or sensible apps or functions, don't be surprised if Apple, ummm, copies them in the future. For example, you could multitask with "Backgrounder" long before Apple included it.

I wonder if the development tools force certain styles that keep apps "Apple-esque".

As for really cool or sensible apps or functions, don't be surprised if Apple, ummm, copies them in the future. For example, you could multitask with "Backgrounder" long before Apple included it.

Of course, Apple did not get to the the most profitable tech company in the world by being stupid. They benefit from the Cydia world.

I think you are right about the developer tools - it forces styles, and keeps it magical. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)