i am starting to BUD need your help.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tweakalot

Original poster
Mar 27, 2007
hello everyone, great forum btw, i hope some of you experts can help this newbie out. i just picked up a 7.5 winguard (c-band lnb) big dish along with 2 samsung dsr2700 w/o remotes 1 channel master 6144 c band receiver, motor supply and a ku lnb (not mounted). i do not know where to start so i need your help. i need to mountthe dish but i do not know how high of a pole i'll need. is there an advantage for mounting high? The cband lnb is currently installed. to receive digital fta for both c and ku band do i need a specific lnb or just a digital capable c/kuband receiver? can i get started with the current equipment i have? if i install the ku lnb how can i switch between the 2 bands? btw, i am clueless as to what the best available fta programing out there so feel free to suggest . thanks

mounting depends on several factors
1) mowing if you want to mow under it
2) wind low if its windy
3) LOS line of sight (this is the most important)

the system you have is c band lnb , if you want to change it to a corotor for c/ku or the newer lnbf for c & ku or you can set up a seperate dish for ku all together there are several options.
there are switches to use between the different receivers

Ok, following is a bunch of stuff to learn about. google.com is your friend. Search for the below terms and learn what they mean. Typically satellite dish equipment and related manufacturers assume you are a rocket scientist and don't need instructions. Frequently little or no instructuions will be included with the things you buy. Look through all the past posts here. Search google.com for the terms below. Spend a few weeks learning about this stuff before installing your dish...

Satellites and their frequencies at lyngsat.com.

C-band frequencies are 4 digit, Ku frequencies are 5 digit.

To receive C-band, you need a C-band LNB. To receive Ku band, you need a Ku band LNB.

There are settings in a receiver for different types of LNB's being used. Typically you would have one satellite listing and specify which LNB you are using for that satellite. If the satellite has both C and Ku, you would need two listings in your receiver, one for C, and another for Ku. Then you can tell the receiver to use the C LNB for C and to use the Ku LNB for Ku.
There are 3 things to a satellite frequency listing TP or transponder, Polorization, and SR.

So you would point your dish at a satellite, then from lyngsat.com enter or select a TP like 3953 then H or V, then 2597 for SR.

Then there would be two coax cables coming from your two LNB's on your dish. But most receivers have only one coax connection. So you use a "diseqc" switch to switch between LNB's being used.

You also tell your receiver, for a specific satellite listing, which connection on the diseqc switch to use for the appropriate LNB. A setting such as diseqc 1.0, then LNB 1, LNB 2, etc.

LNB's have a "Local Oscillator" or L.O. and LNB's are different. You need to enter the L.O. for the LNB you are using.

There are "offset dishes" and "prime focus" dishes. Satellites are about 22,000 miles away up in space around the equator. Offset dishes look like they are pointing to something on the ground, but they are actually pointing up. Prime focus dishes look like they are pointing up.

Where you are located depends on how high you would point your dish. If on the equator, straight up. If in Alaska, then pointing south toward the equator.

The satellites are in an arc around the earth.

You use a dish pointing calculator to point your dish. You enter the offset of your dish or type of dish you have and your location. Then a specific satellite you want to aim your dish at.

Then you can use an "inclinometer" to set your dish at the correct angle looking up in the sky.

Then a compass or a handheld GPS for the direction to point the dish to aim at a specific satellite.

When pointing at all the satellites in the sky, you want a clear view, no trees blocking, etc. For the entire arc. The arc depends on your location.
Here is a dish pointing calculator...

http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/lookangles.htm

thanks for all your help guy. i have been doing my reading since my last post and will continue. strangely enough, i was able to point a pizza dish to receive 2 satellites (for my dad) so i am making progress: however i am somewhat intimidated by it bigger brother. thanks once again.

after speaking to my previous dish owner , my dish is already set to pick up c band. However i need to point the dish west to allign with sats. This is highly unlikely because of my dense vegetation in my back yard. I have decided to abandon the set up. if anyone is interested in all my equipment is your free of charge. i'm located in hamden CT the dish is a 7.5 windguard. and several cband and untested digital KU receivers with access cards.

Don't give up ive been at mine for about 3 months and i have pine tress to contend with.If your vegataion doesn't grow up over 20 feet i think youll be alright.Just take your time with it all im still trying and i live in GA..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)