I am tired of hearing there's too much offense and too little defense in the NFL

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
In the past few years, NFL scoring and offense have been on a roller-coaster of highs, a trend that some in the media have complained about.

They say that the NFL is becoming a pansy league, how you can't hit QB's at all, how it's not the rugged, tough football that they grew up with in their time, etc.

Well, here's my simple take on this:

1. I'm not saying every game should be like the Packers/Cardinals 51-45 shootout last January, but I don't want every game to be the polar opposite (i.e. the Browns/Bills 6-3 game last October or the Dolphins/Steelers 3-0 game a few years ago.)

2. Also, it was the opposite case a while ago. I have read on how up until 1978, offenses were held in check big time and defenses were REALLY dominant, perhaps too dominant (back then, throwing for 3,000 yards in a season was a big deal. We didn't see the 4,000 yard passer until 1979, the league's 60th year). I wonder if these same people would have complained that the NFL was legislating offense out of the game. If the shoe was on the other foot, would they have said the same thing?

3. You have to be able score points to win. Defense may win championships, but you must put some points as well in order to be triumphant. Even when the Giants held down the Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years ago, they had only 10 points on the board until their final drive. The 2000 Ravens were fortunate to have their dominant defense to camouflage a somewhat punchless offense (they went an entire month without scoring an offensive touchdown), but other teams that have had fierce defenses were able to muster their own points. Defense alone can't win a championship. After all, if you hold a potent offensive team to 6 points, your team better have more than 6 points!

4. Defense is not the end-all, be-all of football. After all, think about some of the great names of football lore- Unitas, Montana, Elway, Rice, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders. Football is romantically viewed as a fierce, hard-hitting game, but it's not just about crushing someone. It can also be a beautiful game on the other side of the ball too.

Offenses have changed drastically since the 70's.

All the rules changed since then have been Offensive related.

3. Defense alone can't win a championship. After all, if you hold a potent offensive team to 6 points, your team better have more than 6 points!

Of course you can win a game without your offense scoring.

If you have a Great D, they score points, look at the Steeler's, Raven's as well as the Bears when they ran the "46" Defense.
They all score points on thier own, now they won't win a 24-21 game without the Offense, but they can and do score points on thier own.

I agree that the league has now shifted it's balance of power to the QB and the offense. You'll not see a defense dominate a game like they used to for a long time. Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers and company shred safeties on a weekly basis.

I agree that the league has now shifted it's balance of power to the QB and the offense. You'll not see a defense dominate a game like they used to for a long time. Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers and company shred safeties on a weekly basis.

Rodgers ????

Wow, you moved him up to some pretty lofty status .....
I know Big Ben would be on your list as top 5, but you hate the Steeler's so much that you could not possibly add him to the Top QB's.
That said, I would put Rodger's ahead of Romo.

Rodgers ????

Wow, you moved him up to some pretty lofty status .....
I know Big Ben would be on your list as top 5, but you hate the Steeler's so much that you could not possibly add him to the Top QB's.
That said, I would put Rodger's ahead of Romo.

Last year, Aaron Rodgers was:

4th in overall passer rating (ahead of Roth) with a 103.2.
4th in passing yards (ahead of Roth) with 4,434 yds
4th in TD passes (ahead of Roth) with 30 TD's

So, yeah I would at this time rank Aaron Rodgers in the top 5 QB's in the league, ahead of Big Ben.

I would prefer a little more freedom for the DB's to make plays.

I understand fully the zealousness to protect QB's.

There are too few quality one's available.

As for the Rules restricting the DB's and letting Receivers run untouched we have Bill Polian and the Whiny ass Colts to thank for that set of rules.

So, yeah I would at this time rank Aaron Rodgers in the top 5 QB's in the league, ahead of Big Ben.

Of course you would ....
Entirely different type of offense .

How many SB's does Rodgers have ?

Ben is not one of these Build up stats guys .... He just WINS

Of course you would ....

Jimbo it's a no win situation, Ben could be the #1 ranked QB in the league have 5 Superbowls and he will never give him credit.

Sometimes it's just funny to sit back and read the stuff he spews.

I was watching Superbowl XIII a few months ago on the NFL Network. The defenses were outright brutal, particularly Pittsburgh's. There were all sorts of vicious hits that would be penalties today. It was a lot of fun to watch. The problem is that defenders today are about 50 pounds heavier at every position and can run a lot faster. I think that the NFL has been put in a position where they have to protect offense players. Force equals mass*acceleration, so the force produced by defenders in the NFL in 1979 doesn't come close to today's game.

My biggest gripe about the NFL is that I would like to see the hashes moved out to where they are in college football. Maybe then you would see some of the diversity in NFL offenses that you see in the NCAA.

I was watching Superbowl XIII a few months ago on the NFL Network. The defenses were outright brutal, particularly Pittsburgh's. There were all sorts of vicious hits that would be penalties today. It was a lot of fun to watch. The problem is that defenders today are about 50 pounds heavier at every position and can run a lot faster. I think that the NFL has been put in a position where they have to protect offense players. Force equals mass*acceleration, so the force produced by defenders in the NFL in 1979 doesn't come close to today's game.

My biggest gripe about the NFL is that I would like to see the hashes moved out to where they are in college football. Maybe then you would see some of the diversity in NFL offenses that you see in the NCAA.

Your starting to see more of them now in the NFL without the change.

WildCat for one, others have a variation of the Spread offense, it's just not the BASE O for them.

What is this "offense" and "defense" you people speak of?

No sign of either in Detroit for decades.

THE DETROIT LIONS - REBUILDING SINCE 1957!

(You had to know that was coming.)

Of course you would ....

Ben is not one of these Build up stats guys .... He just WINS

Give Rodgers time, he'll put together more winning seasons too. And besides, Super Bowls aren't the only thing that define a successful QB.

Is Ben better than Peyton Manning just because he has more Super Bowl rings? Nope. Not even close.

NOW....numbers/stats count....?!:rolleyes::p

Give Rodgers time, he'll put together more winning seasons too. And besides, Super Bowls aren't the only thing that define a successful QB.

Is Ben better than Peyton Manning just because he has more Super Bowl rings? Nope. Not even close.

Ben has won MORE, but Manning has the ....better....stats..... Damn, there they go again, stats/numbers rearing their ugly head again.....LOL!:p

NOW....numbers/stats count....?!:rolleyes::p

Ben has won MORE, but Manning has the ....better....stats..... Damn, there they go again, stats/numbers rearing their ugly head again.....LOL!:p

You put Ben on that team he would have better stats but probably less Superbowl wins because of the Steelers D.

The best TEAM wins the Superbowl, not the best QB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)