I caught the bug and need a new receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NMoon

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
Brownsburg Indiana
As the title suggests, it finally happened after getting the GeoSat Pro 36 inch dish and confirming that I can get quite a bit already including feeds despite my less than perfect situation its time for a better receiver than the DVB-S only Captive Works. What I am looking for is a budget priced receiver that supports both DVB-S and DVB-S2 along with MPEG-4 video, AAC audio and 8PSK modulation. Lyngsat lists some interesting stuff which I can't get right now because of my tuner limitations.

As the title suggests, it finally happened after getting the GeoSat Pro 36 inch dish and confirming that I can get quite a bit already including feeds despite my less than perfect situation its time for a better receiver than the DVB-S only Captive Works. What I am looking for is a budget priced receiver that supports both DVB-S and DVB-S2 along with MPEG-4 video, AAC audio and 8PSK modulation. Lyngsat lists some interesting stuff which I can't get right now because of my tuner limitations.
Pick up an Amiko Mini HD SE before they sell out (great receiver but just discontinued by manufacturer) or wait to see what they are replacing it with. Supposed to be announced soon if it hasn't been already. :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3732978/

Reactions: N6BY
I will have to wait a bit but figured there were other ideas out there. Already looked at the GeoSat Pro MicroHD receiver which meets all the needs I mentioned but opinions on it seem to be hit and miss. Some like it and some do not where is the receiver I have even though it is past its prime was well reviewed back then.

I will keep that in mind as well on another note actually been to Vancouver Washington, used to live about 60 miles north of there in southern Lewis County.

X2 Mini Premium HD. Bought mine off Amazon this spring and I love it. It does everything near perfect and it's 100X more than I expected for the price. Firmware upgrades can be done easily over wifi and they average one every other month. It also has built in internet TV channels and movies.

Now here's the downside...I paid $35 for it back in May and it's now up to $63. You might still be able to find it in the $30 to $40 range from somewhere other than Amazon.

I have a MicroHD and really do like it, it is a good receiver. The record option on it never really worked well for me, but other than that, it has been a great basic receiver and it has the best picture quality out of all my 7 receivers.

I just recently bought a HDVR3500 to replace the Micro, [released by the same company] but that receiver has some issues, I wouldn't recommend that one right now. Maybe in the future, if they fix the issues and the price comes down a bit. But the MicroHD is a nice basic reliable receiver if you aren't into recording a lot, judging from my experience.

But, my Micro is also an older one, I have heard some people say the newer ones aren't quite as reliable. Don't really know about that.

Reactions: N6BY
My favorite STB is the Mini HD SE. I also have a Vigica C90S which is great for IPTV but not so great for the satellite side of it. (Was hoping to get a Sat/IPTV box in one). So my 2 STB's tend to complement each other.

My only gripe with the GSPRO Micro HD is that it boot-loops way too easy. Sometimes simply toggling satellites on and off will cause a boot-loop. Kind of frustrating. BTW - I have two of them and they both do the same thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)