I found a Solid Dish!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thomas34461usa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Hello everyone,
Well I got my first call from the ad that I put in on Craig’s list. Got a call from a lady saying she had 12’ footer and I could have if all I had to do was pick it up. She also said it was already taken off the pole. I got there and surer as she said it was off the pole. No Feedhorn, no actuator, and about half of the mesh was missing. I took a look at the back of it to see if it had a name on it. One sticker saying “Unimesh”. Looks to be a lot like my Unimesh. Wondering if I should still go and get it and use it for parts? There aren’t many good parts there. That’s why I didn’t bother to take photos of it.

On the other hand I got a very rewarding experience while driving there! Lo and Behold I found a Solid satellite dish that appears to be around 10”. Wires are not connected to it any longer. Looking really dirty, abandoned, and neglected. Knocked on the door but no body was home!! L I don’t know if that is the way the feedhorn should look like or if its missing a cover?

I think this might be a real FIND! I plan on going back there. If they do give it away….. Just how do I take it down so it won’t get damaged? It looks like it has a heavy mount. Should I take the dish off with the mount? Or take off the dish the mount and then take off the mount from the support pole? The solid dish is put together with four sections. Do I leave all the sections together for the trip back here? Look at me, I’m getting excited just talking about it and I haven’t even spoken to the owner yet! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Tom

solid_0005.jpg

Attachments

• solid_0008.jpg
    solid_0008.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 294
  • solid_0007.jpg
    solid_0007.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 273
  • solid_0006.jpg
    solid_0006.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 248
  • solid_0004.jpg
    solid_0004.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 262
  • solid_0003.jpg
    solid_0003.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 227
  • solid_0002.jpg
    solid_0002.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 269
I would unbolt the Dish from the mount (the big square part) first.
Then gently slide the dish down to the ground.

You will need help, it is HEAVY ! Like 2 people holding the dish while another person unbolts it.

Then you can separate the four sections on the ground.

Lastly, you can remove the mount from the pole. The mount alone is plenty heavy.

Just from a mechanical point of view, I would not disassemble the dish wedges.
If there is some way to transport the dish whole (even with the LNB attached), I'd think that would be a priority.

Of course, take it off the mount (that big square frame) as a first step.
And mark it carefully so you can get it back in the same orientation.

Looks like a beauty.
Good luck.

Is it metal or fiberglass?

From the back pictures, it looks like fiberglass to me.

If it is fiberglass, it could go either way to being used for Ku. There is no way to tell how big the mesh is inside, so proceed with caution.

Edit: I just looked again, and it looks like it has a Co-Rotor on it. If so, it is probably ok for Ku signal.

hey tom. seen ur pictures of the satellite there and i see a corotor II on it. with c and ku band feedhorn snatch it up if you can it looks like a fiberglass one, my grandma had one just like it, if they dont let you get the dish see if they will sale u the feed, i will talk to u on line tonight when u get on more about it, it sure as hell is exciting to find things like this! good luck man am im glad u found one with c/ku feed there rare!!!:hungry:

As far as the parts dish goes, if you said is your ad you would take all, and you have a way to haul it off, I would say to take it. If the mount is still there, it is worth something to some one! Too bad you are not close to me.... But that is an 8000 mile round trip!

That dish looks similar to several I see daily in the countryside near me, fiberglass and probably around 8' dia, most showing signs of serious neglect. Good hunting to you, Tom!

need to find the owner

I would unbolt the Dish from the mount (the big square part) first.
Then gently slide the dish down to the ground.

You will need help, it is HEAVY ! Like 2 people holding the dish while another person unbolts it.

Then you can separate the four sections on the ground.

Lastly, you can remove the mount from the pole. The mount alone is plenty heavy.
Well first I need to find the owner. :hungry: Didn't even know his/her name till I did a Reverse address to see if I could come with a name. Had to go to several sites but finally got the name for the couple. No telephone number, which means I will be there bright and early in the morning asking them about it. :)

If I do get it I hope! I will have help to take it down. It is a fiberglass dish. I will take it off the dish from the mount, leaving the feedhorn intact. Then the Mount. Not sure about the pole. After getting the other poles and seeing the cost that they were going for... I may be digging! I will have help too!:D

Thanks,
Tom

If it is fiberglass, it could go either way to being used for Ku. There is no way to tell how big the mesh is inside, so proceed with caution.

Is the fiberglass itself non-reflective to the satellite signals, is it just a means of holding mesh to the parabolic shape? I had never considered that before, in fact I didn't even realize the fiberglass dishes even had mesh in them. :confused:

not disassemble the dish wedges

Just from a mechanical point of view, I would not disassemble the dish wedges.
If there is some way to transport the dish whole (even with the LNB attached), I'd think that would be a priority.

Of course, take it off the mount (that big square frame) as a first step.
And mark it carefully so you can get it back in the same orientation.

Looks like a beauty.
Good luck.
Hello Anole,
I'm not going to disassemble the dish wedges at that place. I may do it when I get it home and spray some WD-40 on it. Remove the rusted bolts and replace with stainless steel.

Then the metal frame will need lots of work. May take it to a place and have it sand blasted , Re welded if needed and repainted. Thats a great idea to mark the holes where it comes off to keep it in the same orientation.

Thanks, keep your fingers crossed and hope I get it!

Tom :hungry:

Yes it's fiberglass

Is it metal or fiberglass?

From the back pictures, it looks like fiberglass to me.

Edit: I just looked again, and it looks like it has a Co-Rotor on it. If so, it is probably ok for Ku signal.
Hey Fred,
I sure was thinking of you when I found this one! Yes it's fiberglass and from looking at it, I do want to be carefull in taking it down. I have never seen another fiberglass dish around here. This is the first! The wires are cut and just hanging on the pole! It's not being used and it sure is dirty looking. However I remember looking at your thread and the before and after shots of it. It sure did clean up well. I'm hoping that will be the case here too. Just gotta get to the owner and do some talking! :bow

I'm told it has KU band on it too.

Thanks,
Tom :D

the parts dish

As far as the parts dish goes, if you said is your ad you would take all, and you have a way to haul it off, I would say to take it. If the mount is still there, it is worth something to some one! Too bad you are not close to me.... But that is an 8000 mile round trip!

Hello rv1pop,
Yeah the Unimesh dish or whats left of it is only about a half a mile away from the Fiberglass one. I can put that in the trailer then stop off and get the fiberglass one. I can always use it for parts! Any body have any idea who the maker of it is??

8000 miles round trip. I think I use to live where you are now I think??:rolleyes:

Take care and thanks,
Tom

similar to several I see

That dish looks similar to several I see daily in the countryside near me, fiberglass and probably around 8' dia, most showing signs of serious neglect. Good hunting to you, Tom!
Hello Phlatwound,
Not the case down here. See more of the mesh dish unless you're looking at small ones. This one is dirty. Has mildew all over it. I do think it will clean up good. Fiberglass looks good.

Thanks,

if its fiberglass then it will be a tank to move , be very careful , not nessarily for the dish but you , don't get hurt moving it. it will also take a HD actuator to move this tank so hopefully the motor is in good shape.. and its a great find just for the corotor :)

good luck with it :)

Hey Chefwan/Steve,
I'm breaking my 100th post with you here now. This is a really great site with lots of good people belonging to it. Thanks for all of your help Steve and Thank you everyone too in all of your answers back to me. I have learned so much, and still learning!
Thanks again,
Tom :)

Its a Tank!!

if its fiberglass then it will be a tank to move , be very careful , not nessarily for the dish but you , don't get hurt moving it. it will also take a HD actuator to move this tank so hopefully the motor is in good shape.. and its a great find just for the corotor :)

good luck with it :)
Hello Gabshere,
Yeah when I first looked at it... I knew it would be hard. Thats kinda the reason as for me in asking how to take it down. Going to get it a few of my friends. Maybe I can get the use of that Dish Crane too? :eureka

Thanks,

Would it be possible to paint a fiberglass dish with a flat metallic flaked paint to increase the reflectivity? Just a curious idea. You could go by your local autobody supply store and have them mix you a gallon of flat white with metal flakes in the paint increasing ku band on a fiberglass dish?

paint a fiberglass dish

Would it be possible to paint a fiberglass dish with a flat metallic flaked paint to increase the reflectivity? Just a curious idea. You could go by your local autobody supply store and have them mix you a gallon of flat white with metal flakes in the paint increasing ku band on a fiberglass dish?
Hmmmm I don’t know for sure. Maybe Linuxman, VoomVoom or Iceberg would know?? Interesting idea, I wonder too if it would work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)