I Found The Secret To My Short Guide Data

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
I always leave my stb on since I record so many shows, but my EPG rarely went out more than 24 hours, most of the time it was only about 12. I swapped stb's from the other room that always had 3 days and there was no difference. Last night when I shut down the system at 11 PM, the EPG only went to 7:30 AM the following morning. Since I had no recordings scheduled last night I decided to turn off the Voom stb and VOILA! This morning I had 3 days of EPG. Apparently the EPG cannot keep up to date while it is turned on. The stb in the other room gets shut off when not in use, that is why it is always up to date.

FYI just in case you are having short EPG issues like I was. :)

If it is like all the other satellite services, the guide is only spooled on one transponder. To get the guide, the box has to tune to that transponder. While your box is on, it can't get the new guide so it ages away.

It makes no sense, last night I had 3 days worth of guide, today, after leaving my box on all day recording Christmas shows, my guide stops at 7:30 AM TOMORROW morning, and that's at 11 PM tonight. WTF? I would think if it has 3 days in there, it would stay in memory? Wishful thinking I guess. It still beats the pants off my Dish 6000 though, it goes brain dead after 4 hours.

all i know is they better have the guide problems fixed before they release the pvr.... you need more than 3 days on a pvr and since im assuming recordings will be name based the guide had better be 99.9% right.

Most PVR's cache the guide data to the hard drive & update it nightly when there is no activity on the unit. Hopefully the Voom PVR will work in this manner & give us at least a week of data.

BTW, I shut off my stb last night at around 11 PM, set a Power On timer for 12-2 AM and this morning my guide only goes out to 7:30 Monday AM. Why does it always stop around this time? Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute! Does not compute!

Im sorry but this is a new problem for me. Ive always left the reciever on and since the last software update my guide has had this problem. So now I have to turn it off at night? After all this time of being told to leave it on? My guide ended at 7pm today. Just rebooted maybe it will download the guide. But that doesnt make sense IMO since your saying it has to be off. UGH.

Once again whoever is programming this box should be shot. Im sure the Voom moto has great hardware inside. Its a shame that these programmers are giving it a reputation as trash. They cant even get caller ID right? Gimmie a break. Im getting absolutely sick of hearing how bad the moto is when the culprit is the BAD and LATE programming. :mad:

I wish they would make Power On the default for the Program Planner and shut it off after the timer, every Dish stb I've ever owned works this way. Since I've been powering off my stb when not using it, I have a full guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)