I Have A Question or 2 About DirecTV HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BeltFanChris

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2015
Northwest Louisiana
Hello everyone and good Tuesday evening. I will not take up to much of you'll time with my questions

I currently have all my services with Comcast but I've had nothing but problems with Comcast since June of 2012. So I'm weighting my service options right now

I would like to move over to AT&T for all of my service's ( phone, internet and t.v. ) From what I read on other forums is AT&T is pushing people away from U Verse to DirecTV

Well, I live in Shreveport, LA ( 71106 ), so we are usually pretty last to get anything new or great

Everytime I've gotten Dish or DirecTV, the installers are pretty crappy and the receivers are usually bottom of the barrel equipment

My question is the following - What is the most up to date ( 2016 ) HD DVR receiver model for DirecTV? I have no interested in The Genie, I want separate HD DVR for each of my 3 rooms

I hope you'll don't mind answering my questions

The HR24 is the newest regular dvr, but it's several years old.

Hello everyone and good Tuesday evening. I will not take up to much of you'll time with my questions

I currently have all my services with Comcast but I've had nothing but problems with Comcast since June of 2012. So I'm weighting my service options right now

I would like to move over to AT&T for all of my service's ( phone, internet and t.v. ) From what I read on other forums is AT&T is pushing people away from U Verse to DirecTV

Well, I live in Shreveport, LA ( 71106 ), so we are usually pretty last to get anything new or great

Everytime I've gotten Dish or DirecTV, the installers are pretty crappy and the receivers are usually bottom of the barrel equipment

My question is the following - What is the most up to date ( 2016 ) HD DVR receiver model for DirecTV? I have no interested in The Genie, I want separate HD DVR for each of my 3 rooms

First of all, AT&T is pushing D*, wouldn't you tell people about your newest accusation ?

The issue with U Verse is it's not available everywhere.

. . . . I have no interested in The Genie, I want separate HD DVR for each of my 3 rooms

The newest Genie is the fastest. But having one does not mean you must get Genie minis. So a Genie & two HR24 would be the best you can get at this moment.

As to Internet, I have no idea what AT&T offer in Shreveport. If it is DSL, you probably better off sticking with cable.

while you CAN get three HDDVR (hr24) to satisfy your requirements, D* will probably charge you $200 each for the 2nd and 3rd DVR. their promo install is either HDDVR + 3x HD (for credit reasons usually) or the Genie + 3x Genie Mini. your better off just getting the genie + 2x mini now, and just waiting the two years to get a DVR, etc...

As stated previously, while you CAN get multiple HDDVR's, you're going to pay a pretty penny for them. DirecTV typically only allows for one advanced receiver per new install unless you want to pay through the nose for them.

Pretty soon, virtually every customer will have a genie/client system.

As stated previously, while you CAN get multiple HDDVR's, you're going to pay a pretty penny for them. DirecTV typically only allows for one advanced receiver per new install unless you want to pay through the nose for them.

Pretty soon, virtually every customer will have a genie/client system.
I seriously HOPE not.

That said, most of your Cable companies are also going to the Server side of things.

All the signs are that the expected Uverse/DirecTV box will be a server only, supporting clients. Probably therefore no new DVR, no HR24 replacement.

All the signs are that the expected Uverse/DirecTV box will be a server only, supporting clients. Probably therefore no new DVR, no HR24 replacement.
Well, that will do away with any one using one in their Motorhomes camping l or those used at people's lake homes. (Legit or not, friend have one at lake home and D* is well aware of it with no issues).
Guess there won't be any upgrading at that point.

Seems that way to me also since they haven't made any new tuner based devices since the HR-24 and H-25. The only thing I don't like about server/client what happens when the server goes down.

Seems that way to me also since they haven't made any new tuner based devices since the HR-24 and H-25. The only thing I don't like about server/client what happens when the server goes down.
Server/client is inferior in every way. The mini clients are as slow as molasses, you don't get any extra storage space, and if the server goes down so do all the clients.

Server/client is inferior in every way. The mini clients are as slow as molasses, you don't get any extra storage space, and if the server goes down so do all the clients.
That's one thing I was curious about was the Genie Mini's performance would it be slow and have glitches trying to connect to the server. However I did see a video about the new Hopper 3 server and the new Joey's. Dish claims their isn't any latency on the clients and that the guide is fast on them. Maybe that will be same way on the new server/client system from AT&T? I hope they still let you use the tuner based equipment with the new system. One advantage to the server/client system is maybe AT&T will let you use your own equipment with it like the PC, PS4 and XBOX One as client devices?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)