I have YES network but no yankee games???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dannymonky

Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
Boca Raton
Hi all.

I have the premium package which includes the YES network. I flip it on today and it says channel not purchased(721). I check the packages online and see its included in my service. I call CS and the first lady has me reboot. Waste of 20 mins. Same message on tv. She transfers me to tech support. (???I thought she WAS tech support???) Second lady puts me on hold and tells me I need to get the MLB package to see Yankee games in my market(south fl). So I tell her that since I get the channel and it is the Yankees home network how could I not get it? Whats the point of offering the channel in a package then needing an additional package to actually watch it? Did i get 2 morons on the phone or am i just crazy? Thanks for any help...:)

it is only available in the NY area.

Since your loc is Florida, its blacked out. ALL pro sports out of market are blacked out. Thats what MLB EI is for ;)

directv site said:
In accordance with blackout rules, customers who subscribe to Sports Pack will not receive professional games outside their market on these channels.

* Out-of-market games are sold separately via professional sports subscription packages.
* Use the RSN Coverage by Zip Code to determine which teams are available in customer's area.

Blackout restrictions NOT applicable to the MountainWest Sports Network (MTN).

* All live games on the MTN are available nationally.
* Only customers living outside a Mountain West Conference state and not in the qualifying DMAs require Sports Pack to get the MTN.

The CSR was correct. MLB games, like NBA, NHL, and MLS games are blacked out on regional sports networks outside of the team's territory. To see those games, you would need to buy the league's premium package. that's they way it is for everybody. Only those in the Yankee's region, NY, NJ, CT, etc., can watch Yankee games on the YES Network. For everyone else, unless you have MLB Extra Innings, you get the not purchased screen.

Danny,

As a longtime DTV subs, I understand your frustration about the YES question. Imo, the CSR's should be either better trained or be more efficient in accessing the necessary information about sports packages when a customer is on the phone with them. I remember my experience long ago with a similar pro sports blackout question and I also had to wait for the 1st CSR to "re-hit" my receiver a few times before getting routed to someone that was trained and had the correct information for me.

I'm overall a happy DTV customer but they need to step up the CSR training, imo.

It's definitely somewhat shady the way new subs see the selling point of getting 30 regional sports networks in HD when browsing the sports package before signing up (yeah, yeah, I know there is fine print). In reality, unless you watch poker, infomercials and college sports, you're really only getting 1 regional sports network... the one in your region. All the pro league games are blacked out unless you pay $200-300 for each league's package.

It's definitely somewhat shady the way new subs see the selling point of getting 30 regional sports networks in HD when browsing the sports package before signing up (yeah, yeah, I know there is fine print). In reality, unless you watch poker, infomercials and college sports, you're really only getting 1 regional sports network... the one in your region. All the pro league games are blacked out unless you pay $200-300 for each league's package.

Yeah, I remember that sales guy long ago when I was buying my C-Band system. I had the same mis-information about those RSN's without the pro pkgs. By the time I got DTV in '99, I knew the "score". But imo, it can be confusing to many potential customers out there.

not necessarily. There are some areas that if you add the multisports pack its worth it

Most of Iowa is serviced by 6 teams (Twins, Cards, Royals, Sox, Cubs, Brewers) so for them it pays to get the pack.

Some areas get 2 RSN's with the basic package but when they add the sports pack they are also in the area of another team claiming them. Tennessee/Kentucky/Carolinas area is another example

just looked up a place in Iowa
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or FAMILIAR or above):

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 665) - HD Available
# Chicago Bulls (HD Available)
# Cubs (HD Available)
# White Sox (HD Available)

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FSN North (Ch. 668) - HD Available
# Brewers (HD Available)
# Minnesota Timberwolves (HD Available)
# Twins (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Cardinals (HD Available)
# Royals (HD Available)
# St. Louis Blues (HD Available)
so by adding the sports pack they gain 4 MLB teams, 1 NBA team and one NHL team

well atleast with C band u could watch the "wild" feeds

Ah, the good ole days! I remember the first day I had c band. I tuned to one of the Anik satellites and the Toronto Blue Jays were on. The picture was so clear! I'd love to be able to compare it to an hd channel! The Sports Channels were all in fixed key if you subbed to just one of them. I got to watch virtually every baseball game in the country! That only lasted for two years, IIRC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)