I just ordered a DSR-500 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Newbie, here...just a quick question:

What does the lack of the power scan function mean to the new user?

Will I still be able to scan for channels via a more manual process?

I have a question for MrFTAMan.

If the signal meter is pretty stable, for the price, it will still be a nice unit to take on the roof to set up dishes.

So how is the signal meter? Is it nice and stable?

Thanks!

Newbie, here...just a quick question:

What does the lack of the power scan function mean to the new user?

Will I still be able to scan for channels via a more manual process?

Without power scan, you'd have to know where the feeds are so that you can manually key them into the receiver. Trying frequencies and symbol rates at random simply won't work. One in a Million chance (or worse) of actually hitting a feed. Blind Scan (or Power Scan) is an absolute necessity for me :) It is useful for pointing the dish as well. If you can see some signal strength, but are not sure which satellite you are on, just do a power scan and see what channels come in. Based on the channels received you can determine which satellite you are on.

I appreciate the SatelliteAV guys taking responsibility for the mistake and stepping up to the plate to make it right. I for one am cancelling my order for 2 receivers, because I use the Power scan option more than any other feature in my current receiver. It is a huge source of fun to just go hunting through the satellites to see what I can find.

Thanks SatelliteAV for letting us know and making it right! I will be keeping mine, as it will be the perfect setup for a G10/IA7 setup for my wife's home office :)

Thanks SatelliteAV for letting us know and making it right! I will be keeping mine, as it will be the perfect setup for a G10/IA7 setup for my wife's home office :)

I am located in Canada, and by the time Fedex brokerage charges and any customs fees, taxes or duties were added, a non-power scanning receiver isn't worth it for me. I was willing to live with the import fees for a power scan capable receiver. If it was possible to ugprade the receiver software to be power-scan enabled, I'd consider keeping them.

What confuses me is all the advertisement I found lists 'Blind' or 'Power' scan as being a feature. Was it a planned feature never implemented, or are we getting some earlier version that didn't include it, or like someone else mentioned, could a firmware update fix that? [/hopeful]

It's still a great deal and don't think I'll cancel my order, but I won't pretend it's not a huge disappointment. I've owned a basic STB I got from good 'ol Iceberg where the TP's had to be entered manually; so now I have a sleeker, silver version? I know, I know, oversimplification. But Blind Scan was a huge reason for me getting it when I already have a DVB card...

Oh, and this is all I could find in the way of (legit) firmware. Probably not that helpful, but... see attachment.

Edit: After lots of searching, there doesn't seem to be any legitimate work being done on SatPro DSR-500 firmware. Not surprising as they (SatPro) don't even seem to have a website. There's simply TONS of illegitimate work being done, but that's not why we bought these, and I'm sure Blind Scan isn't a priority among that crowd. There is a DSR-500S- as we found out from the manual posted yesterday- which has enhanced hardware and likely functionality. Everyone is apparently confusing the feature list of the two; that, or they made the 'S' version to fill all the empty promises of the original 500. Either way, it would appear we're SOL on Blind Scan for this unit.

But on the bright side, I guess we could say hooray for getting a Twinhan at half price, without the need for a PC... :(

Attachments

• Satpro_DSR-500_Factory.zip
    529.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
What confuses me is all the advertisement I found lists 'Blind' or 'Power' scan as being a feature. Was it a planned feature never implemented, or are we getting some earlier version that didn't include it, or like someone else mentioned, could a firmware update fix that? [/hopeful]
QUOTE]

I did some google searching too and found a bunch of sites advertising the same receiver (at a much higher price) and the listed it as having a Power Scan function too. Maybe the SatelliteAV guys can do some more testing..

- tracking -

I ordered mine Wednesday, just about 1pm Pacific.
Thought it was to be shipped that afternoon.
But, it looks like they did a batch drop to FedEx on Thursday.
Probably all 40 or 50 pieces, or however many they had.

They've scheduled the little 6 lb package for delivery on Monday the 12th.
That's northern California to southern California.
FedEx Ground is a trucking company, and they don't deliver on the weekends.
If they did, I'm sure I would have the box on Saturday - it will be here in town.
I'd guess mid-west and east-coast deliveries will arrive Tuesday..Thursday, next week.

I also use FedEx Ground. It's cheapest for heavy packages.
But just 'cause it says "FedEx", doesn't mean it gets there tomorrow. :cool:

Last edited:
I want to thank Brian Gohl and SatelliteAV for the offer of recalling the unit.

I called them and talked to Brian and he was very kind and helpful.

What I ended up doing was swap credit on the unit and got a voltage controlled C-Band LNB for my near future family C-Band setup.

He made me a good deal on the swap, and SatteliteAV ranks right up there with the best as far as customer support and integrity.

I ordered mine Wednesday, just about 1pm Pacific.
Thought it was to be shipped that afternoon.
But, it looks like they did a batch drop to FedEx on Thursday.
Probably all 40 or 50 pieces, or however many they had.

They've scheduled the little 6 lb package for delivery on Monday the 12th.
That's northern California to southern California.
FedEx Ground is a trucking company, and they don't deliver on the weekends.
If they did, I'm sure I would have the box on Saturday - it will be here in town.
I'd guess mid-west and east-coast deliveries will arrive Tuesday..Thursday, next week.

I also use FedEx Ground. It's cheapest for heavy packages.
But just 'cause it says "FedEx", doesn't mean it gets there tomorrow. :cool:

Hey, how did you get your tracking info? They took my email, but I haven't gotten anything. Though if it's 4+ days for you within the same state, I guess I shouldn't expect mine delivered any sooner here in UT.

Yeah, I'd be curious about tracking info too. They did my order manually because the comptuer was slow. Thus, all they have are my name/address/credit card number. They really don't have any way to contact me if they transposed any digits when writing things down either :( He told me to expect the reciever in 7-10 days.

Well, four days in-state isn't really fair.
SatAV slipped a day.
FedEx is terrible on the front-end at getting the packages out.
And then Saturday bit me in the ....
But I ship stuff to and from the east coast with FedEx Ground, and it's just a week-long ride.

Today, Friday, the 9th, at 6:49am, FedEx was all done with paperwork and sorting, and had the FTA boxes on a big truck, and was on the road.
They'll arrive in Los Angeles tonight and -would- be ready for delivery tomorrow.

Is it two days to UT?
Do the long-haul truckers work the weekend?
I'll guess Tuesday for UT.

Here's an example from this month (snow and all)
Two 39 lb boxes were handed to FedEx in PA on Wednesday 28 Feb about 1pm.
They left PA on Thursday, 1 Mar about 4pm.
They arrived in CA on Monday, 5 Mar around 9pm.
And were delivered on Tuesday, 6 Mar at 10am.

Less than a week, coast to coast.

Last edited:
Just got my tracking email, but now I'm even more confused!

My delivery ETA is the 12th, as yours was, Anole, but the email included the following:

We made a mistake in the posting and stated that the Satpros DSR-500s receiver featured Blind Scan. The DSR-500s do not have the Blind Scan.

If you would like to cancel your order, we will recall the package and provide a full refund for your purchase. If you choose to cancel this order, please contact us as soon as possible so the package can be recalled.

Sorry about any inconvenience that this may have caused!

Again, kudos to Satellite Av for offering the return... but what exactly did we buy?! The DSR-500 and the DSR-500s (according to what I Google'd yesterday) are two different beasts. The S version has significantly more to it than the original (USB, TV-SCART output, etc). I asked yesterday if the one we bought had USB so as to differentiate it, but no one responded. Everything in text said "DSR-500," the manual was for a DSR-500S, and looking closely at the picture (and now the email) it seems we got an -S model. But the PDF manual for the 500S explains in section 6-4 exactly how to do a "Satellite Scan." Granted, it's incredibly vague and not translated properly, but unless it has all the transponders stored, isn't that Blind/Power scan? Please understand, I'm in no way complaining - I'm just confused! :confused:

Here's an example from this month (snow and all)
Two 39 lb boxes left PA on Thursday, 1 Mar about 4pm.
They arrived in CA on Monday, 5 Mar around 9pm.
And were delivered on Tuesday, 6 Mar at 10am.

Less than a week, coast to coast.

I can beat that ;) I ordered a DVB card from Taiwan on the second, it was shipped out on the third. They tried delivering it yesterday (on the 8th); ~5 days from Taiwan to UT... you'd think Fedex could manage better than one day less within the same state. :rolleyes:

still smiling

The manual is either for both the PAL and NTSC units, or maybe the PAL-only unit.
(my guess)

I noticed the USB connector in the drawing, too.
I think USB is for some sort of internet access by satellite (receive only), but it wasn't clear.
There was mention of a computer CD to use for that feature.
I'm not expecting either connector on our units.

As for the scanning, I read your 6-4. Satellite Scan section.
When I read this the other night, I took it to be a non-blind scan, but now that you point it out, it could be interpreted either way.
No wonder so many were confused. :)

I'd also noted 9-3. Manual TP Scan, and while that feature looked nice, didn't assume it was a blind scan, either.

We can all agonize over what we don't know, or we can wait 'till next week and find out.
Probably the comments made above by MrFTAman who has a unit, are the best guide.
The chance our units are any different from his, are slight .

edit: oh!
the S must be for SCART (connector)
Neither the posting by SatAV in his offer , nor the PDF spec sheet mention a SCART connector.
The back panel picture shows no USB and no SCART.

Only the specs at the back of the common "manual" say the unit has USB and SCART connectors.
Also, page 9 of the manual shows the SCART/USB on the rear.
No one in their right mind would import the S model to the USA - it might not even have NTSC-capable firmware.
I think this closes the matter.

Last edited:
I don't have a tracking #. Of course when I ordered, they never asked for my email :-( Oh well. I suspect I should receive it next week :)

333 :)

The units shipped are DSR-500s. As far as I can tell, they appear to be identical in operation to the DSR-500 (I have both on the bench at this time).

The advertising on the sites that I "Googled" are not correct ..... The DSR-500 and the DSR-500s units DO NOT support Blind Scan. They have RF loop-through (ch. 3/4), IF loop through, composite video output, SPDIF coaxial AC-3. They do not have SCART, USB or agile UHF RF outputs ......

The items were shipped FedEx ground, as we have found their service to be the most reliable and least problematic of the major shipping companies. Smaller packages usually make coast to coast transit in 5 days or less and in state are 1 or two business days. We could have provided expediated shipping, but the cost could not have been this low .... Yes, all DSR-500s receivers were prepped for shipment at one time. This was my decision for our shipping department since the items were sold below their wholesale cost in one...zie, two...zies. We had to move them out in a cost effective manner.

SatelliteAV has been unable to provide tracking numbers or follow-up correspondence to some of you as the email information was not provided with several orders. If email information was provided, you should have already received the FedEx tracking information. If you did not receive the tracking information, please call 888-483-4673 or email sales@satelliteav.com and provide your name and address and request the package tracking information. The sales department will reply with the FedEx tracking information.

Hope that everyone enjoys their new receiver ..... it sure outputs a nice picture!

Status
Please reply by conversation.