I just ordered a DSR-500 :)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have always had good luck in getting stuff fast from FedEx Ground. I think what SatelliteAV charged for shipping was very reasonable. I can't see how they could make anything off this deal. THANKS AGAIN :)

I have a question for MrFTAMan.

If the signal meter is pretty stable, for the price, it will still be a nice unit to take on the roof to set up dishes.

So how is the signal meter? Is it nice and stable?

Thanks!

Since I have already programmed the satellites on my DSR 500, I would go to say T5 and to the channel already programmed and aim the dish to where I think T5 is located and tune it in.
I go to Menu, to INSTALL, click Motor Setup, (this is after setting up everything on your FTA system), and at the bottom right side of screen is the Signal level and Quality level meters. Remember: go by the QUALITY level meter! I can use the "move/save" selection to tune left to right to get the best Quality level and then I save it. At the top right side is a screen to show any channel active. I use that too to see the quality of the picture.
With me using this during setup, it is dependable. I used my Pansat 2700a signal/quality meters after installing it and it is pretty close to what the DSR 500 read. The DSR 500 meters are stable.
Like I said earlier, I use the DSR 500 for my setups and the reason I am using the Pansat 2700a for my primary receiver is because of its SmartScan. I scan the satellites every month for new TPs and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my tracking email, but now I'm even more confused!

My delivery ETA is the 12th, as yours was, Anole, but the email included the following:

We made a mistake in the posting and stated that the Satpros DSR-500s receiver featured Blind Scan. The DSR-500s do not have the Blind Scan.

If you would like to cancel your order, we will recall the package and provide a full refund for your purchase. If you choose to cancel this order, please contact us as soon as possible so the package can be recalled.

Sorry about any inconvenience that this may have caused!

Again, kudos to Satellite Av for offering the return... but what exactly did we buy?! The DSR-500 and the DSR-500s (according to what I Google'd yesterday) are two different beasts. The S version has significantly more to it than the original (USB, TV-SCART output, etc). I asked yesterday if the one we bought had USB so as to differentiate it, but no one responded. Everything in text said "DSR-500," the manual was for a DSR-500S, and looking closely at the picture (and now the email) it seems we got an -S model. But the PDF manual for the 500S explains in section 6-4 exactly how to do a "Satellite Scan." Granted, it's incredibly vague and not translated properly, but unless it has all the transponders stored, isn't that Blind/Power scan? Please understand, I'm in no way complaining - I'm just confused! :confused:

Funny you mentioned there are TWO DSR 500 receivers: The regular DSR 500 and the souped up DSR 500s. That's a new one to me. I got the DSR 500s model.
But I also did not know there is a BSC621-2 and a BSC621 LNBF either! The BSC621-2 does not work with the 4DTV receivers. The BSC621 will work with the
4DTV receivers.
Moral of this: Pay very close attention on what you're ordering!!!!

About the Blind scanning on DSR 500s.
The DSR 500s factory firmware will have the satellites programmed. When you go to the Menu, you can choose the satellites you want to program and during the setup of the receiver you will have options like most receivers offer. There are settings concerning the LNB, the DiSEQc switches, etc...
When you go to Motor setup on the menu and set up the parameters on it you can scan the satellite you programmed. As far as I know, only the TPs most used are programmed and will be scanned.
When you go to Scan feature you can add new TPs and scan them. There is NO smart scan involved! The new TPs you installed will stay in its memory. BUT, if you everdo a master reset, then you will have to reinstall the new TPs you wanted back into the DSR 500s.
Does this help you understand the scanning segment of the DSR 500s?

Mine's due to arrive today- very excited! I cobbled together some sad parts, all I could get my hands on locally (a pizza dish with an old DTV lnb, sitting on the ground propped up with a brick!) that are aimed at NASA, lol... I really should have taken a picture, it's rather comical. It works, though; the Twinhan 1025 arrived and I used it to tune the "setup." I'll hardly be the best test case for truly using our DSR-500S's until I get something better, but I couldn't completely miss out on the fun :D

1st arrival / 1st picture ?

Monday, 6:40pm, Los Angeles area.
First unit has arrived FedEx Ground.
They had the boxes in-hand Friday, but with no Saturday delivery, they sat in a warehouse over the weekend.

Double boxed:
Shipping carton; foam peanuts; colored box with logo; inner cardboard carrier; plastic bag.
Well protected.

edit: items included -
small receiver
remote control with AAA batteries
A/V cable - red/white audio, yellow video, all in one
manual
AC line cord is permanently attached

later edit: okay, I finally untangled my cable bundle and got a spare line to an LNB outside.
In the dark - I wasn't really prepared :rolleyes:
We won't say which bird I was on, but let's just say that the in-the-clear channels looked geat!
Was feeding my new Syntax 42" LCD, and screwing around with the zoom to get 4:3 or 16:9 (full screen) pictures.
Yep, well worth the money! :)

More later.

Last edited:
My first impressions: Wow, it's small! This is a tiny little unit, I can see how it would be helpful in bringing it to the roof for an install. The size of the outer box surprised me, then when I found out it was well-packed in peanuts with an inner box... :eek: :) Everything was very easy to figure out, and after scanning for a few minutes I was watching NASA! Yay! Channel change seems very fast on the very limited selection I currently have, and I love the feature where selecting a channel from the guide changes the preview without exiting. I can imagine being on T5 or G10 (sorry, G25 these days, right? I'm so old-school!) and being able to preview a bunch of channels before deciding on one, as there's no EPG to tell us what's on.

Very impressed and totally worth the measly $37 we spent. Looking forward to reading full reviews from folks with more STB experience!

COOL...

Sounds like a great little receiver, already.. Also, sounds like a great receiver for a stationary dish.. And I especially like the little part..

Later, Brent

This is like Christmas! I CAN'T wait until tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, mine is supposed to be here tomorrow too. Suspicously, though, the tracking info has not updated since the 9th. I don't recall Fedex's tracking info to be that inaccurate (so I hope everything is still on schedule)

same here

Fedex does that on occasion.....dont see any change and then day of delivery it says "on truck for delivery"

You guys are starting to make me wonder if I made the right decision in cancelling my order... I truly do want another receiver, and Blind Scan is probably the feature that I spend more time playing with than actually watching tv, so to me it was a deal breaker not having the Blind Scan capability. SatelliteAV were fantastic, they cancelled my order and issued credit. I promised to refuse the shipment if it arrives at my doorstep by Fedex. If the Fedex package shows up at my doorstep (and there are no duties/taxes due), I might be tempted to accept the package and then pay SatelliteAV their money based on some of the feedback you guys are giving :)

Got mine today - Works great. The strong TP's were already in there. Scanned quickly. Great deal, especially with a 5" TV for the roof.
Bob

Well just got back from taking my wife to work and saw a FedEx truck. Got home and there she is on the front steps! Now to hook her up!

I am VERY impressed! The unit is smaller than my Fortec Lifetime Classic NA. THe front display shows "SCAN" while it is scanning the satellite. I should have bought 2 of these! The menus are nice, remote is nice and big, and this receiver is well worth $37, actually worth much more :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)