I need a new TV! Looking for opinions!

knighthammer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
Looking for a 1080p, 120hz HDTV. 48" - 50" screen. Don't need a Smart TV. Price is definitely an issue! Any ideas???

I'd better pay attention. SWMBO texted me our LR TV went out this morning. Hopefully it's just the bulb. But we're over 11 years on a TV I hoped to get 5 out of.

They must have sold a lot this weekend. Best Buy near me is out of most TV's. Crazy power surges last month took out my office tv, which I didn't have on a UPS. I bought an LG 49in 4K last Wednesday for $399. It works well with Tivo on Cox and Amazon and Netflix 4K.

Sidenote: My dad got tired of watching games at my house on my 65in 4K. We were smoking a Turkey Thursday morning at my house and he couldn't take it anymore and gave in to temptation, buying a 65in 4K.

Reactions: Jimbo and navychop
But we're over 11 years on a TV I hoped to get 5 out of.
How long has the lamp warning been popping up?

Amazon sells complete lamp assemblies for under $25 if this is the TV I'm thinking of. Speaking of that, why would you be looking at a four-footer?

3-4 years! First bulb went quick. I have a spare.

Actually considering the 65" Toshiba. I don't think UHD has had all the kinks worked out, but at that price.....

TKS. But I replaced the bulb and all is well.

First bulb lasted 3 yrs 9 months 4,818 hours
Replaced 1/1/09

Second bulb lasted almost 7 yrs 11 months 12,056 hours
Replaced 11/28/16

Average TV use about 4 hours 11 mins per day.

JVC LCoS 61" HD RPTV HD-61Z786

Life is good. I'd rather wait a year or two for UHD, for HDR and WCG issues to be settled.

Looking for a 1080p, 120hz HDTV. 48" - 50" screen. Don't need a Smart TV. Price is definitely an issue! Any ideas???
Vizio 48-50 inch tvs are Tipically under $500.
They are IMO the best TVs you can buy for that price point.
If you can get an E or M series they are better PQ than the D series.

If you use an OTA antenna, better play close attention when shopping as some TV's are not coming with an OTA tuner. Vizio in particular. Hate to say that as Vizio's are all I have in my home.

If you use an OTA antenna, better play close attention when shopping as some TV's are not coming with an OTA tuner. Vizio in particular. Hate to say that as Vizio's are all I have in my home.
That would be an absolute deal breaker for me. With rooftop antennas proliferating the way they are a company has to be shooting itself in the foot to leave a tuner out. :wtf2

That would be an absolute deal breaker for me. With rooftop antennas proliferating the way they are a company has to be shooting itself in the foot to leave a tuner out. :wtf2
While a DTV tuner will be a matter of public safety for a few years, it seems likely that the ATSC 3.0 train will not be stopped.

You can get a serviceable DTV tuner for under $40. Since a significant number of those dependent on OTA have some manner of DVR, the impact may be limited.

Consider this: the Samsung Evolution kits cost as much as a modest TV.

I just bought a Sony 49" XBR-800.
Very nice TV .... it is a Smart tv, unless you end up going very cheap, a Smart tv will pretty much be a given now days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)