I need info on new hopper plus

Wouldn't that depend on if the Hopper Plus comes with HDMI passthrough? Comparing a high end AVR's capabilities to the Hopper Plus is a bit of a stretch.
Yes, but Scott I believe, already said that if the H+ powers down it doe
Any redesigns would have to be submitted to the FCC and would show up on that timeline.
Yup, no fricken way it's an HDMI passthrough. It has only 1 HDMI port, so you cant plug in the HDMI from the Hopper into the +. Unless you have a very big and long screwdriver to squish the two together!

So let's face it, no one know sh*t about the H+ yet or even how it works and even hooked up.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
1. Move existing HDMI from Hopper to Hopper Plus
2. Connect USB cable, USB Type-A end in Hopper and USB-C end in Plus
3. Connect Plus to Power using provided power cable

Once the USB is connected to both and the Plus has power, the Hopper enters Plus mode and no longer needs an HDMI connected. There was a photo posted on page 14 of the back of the Plus, where the ports are visible.

1. Move existing HDMI from Hopper to Hopper Plus
2. Connect USB cable, USB Type-A end in Hopper and USB-C end in Plus
3. Connect Plus to Power using provided power cable

Once the USB is connected to both and the Plus has power, the Hopper enters Plus mode and no longer needs an HDMI connected. There was a photo posted on page 14 of the back of the Plus, where the ports are visible.
Any comments/updates from your end on the HDR always on situation?

I'd have to see that post because I think I've been pretty clear and posted it at least three times, new Joeys only come with a Plus
Yeah, I remember those posts, but Scott says he has unplugged the H+ and found the J4 works just fine. Other early adopters have as well.

I think you quoted pattykey referring to something else (the HDMI passthrough which doesn't exist).

Yeah, I remember those posts, but Scott seems to think that there is no technical reason we can't have a J4 w/o an H+. Not only he but others have unplugged the H+ and found the J4 works just fine.

I think you quoted pattykey referring to something else (the HDMI passthrough which doesn't exist).
OK, let's clarify.
1) I haven't seen a Joey 4 without the plus but the ones I did install were useless without the plus in the way I was using it. I can't say it's not possible and I'll deflect to Scott who has seen it work without the Plus.

2) After too many pages, I hope it's clear there is no HDMI Input on the Plus and the Plus disables the HDMI Output on the Hopper.

3) this exchange between Paty and I was specifically about getting a new Joey 4 Series on your account without the Plus at this time

With all due respect I know exactly what is going on. I am one of those video/audio geeks. I strive for a perfect picture/sound experience. With a constant HDR signal being sent it is taking away the ability to use a day and night calibration I have setup for SD and HD viewing. I have some pretty expensive software and equipment that is used for this purpose. This is what I should be seeing on my picture menu of the TV when no real HDR signal is being sent...
View attachment 158414

When the TVs are being sent either a true HDR signal or an upconverted signal those options are replaced with a series of Factory preset HDR settings.
View attachment 158415
There isn't a way to calibrate a non HDR upscaled signal correctly. What you may think looks good after basic tweeking is no where near what your picture could look like if done correctly with a proper 20 point grey scale calibration and Gamma calibration.
Sorry, I was only trying to suggest something you could do that might work. Won't happen again.

3) this exchange between Paty and I was specifically about getting a new Joey 4 Series on your account without the Plus at this time
Thanks, let us know if a wireless Joey 4 can put added/replacing J3 on a system that only has a Hopper 3. Being able to move one of my Joey's from the Kitchen to the outside enclosed porch is very appealing.

I'd be interested to see an upgrade to a system that has two Hopper 3's, since the Plus is not supported in that scenario. So, it seems the options would be:
  • Upgrade the Joeys to new Joey 4 models without adding the Plus.
  • Remove one of the Hopper 3's, replace it with a new Joey 4, and add the Plus to the remaining Hopper 3.
Since Dish isn't allowing the first option, that means that two-Hopper 3 users will be forced to drop one of them if they want to add the new Joeys. I don't see that going over very well, especially with many of the users who post here.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Am I missing something in some of these posts? What is the big deal with some about having to get a Hopper Plus in order to get Joey 4s? The Hopper Plus is not adding an extra lease payment to your bill and worse case scenario it costs $50 for install fee. Unhook it and use the Joey 4s without it. I know that works because it's what I am doing at the moment.

Am I missing something in some of these posts? What is the big deal with some about having to get a Hopper Plus in order to get Joey 4s? The Hopper Plus is not adding an extra lease payment to your bill and worse case scenario it costs $50 for install fee. Unhook it and use the Joey 4s without it. I know that works because it's what I am doing at the moment.
Forcing Hopper Plus onto some people who don't want it depletes the available supply, taking it away from other customers who do want it. (Or giving Dish an excuse to charge those customers more for the Hopper Plus upgrade, since they are in short supply.) Question: Will those who are forced to accept the Hopper Plus (but don't want it) in order to get the new Joey 4's, then be allowed to sell the Hopper Plus to someone else who does want one? Or would those Hopper+'s need to either be returned to Dish or remain out of service (thus going to waste)?