I Need to Delete all Codecs and Start Fresh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Cloud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I have an HTPC I built. Has an AMD chip and a Radeon card. Running DVBviewer and Technotrend tt3200.

I think I must have made a mistake loading codec packs instead of individual codecs. I make selections of one codec or another and the computer basically ignores the selection and does what it wants. I think this is why I don't get S-2.

Can someone tell me how to entirely delete all codecs and codec packs so I can start over?
I would appreciate it

Codecs installed on your PC may be divided on supplied with OS and installed by you with some Video Players and Codec Packs. I wouldn't advice to remove Codecs supplied with OS, but they can be selectively deactivated in WinXP via Control Panel - Sound and Audio Devices - Hardware - Audio & Video Codecs.

Codecs installed by you, can be safely removed:

a) uninstall Codec Packs and Players that installed extra Codecs via Control Panel - Add & Remove Programs;
b) Download and install Graphedit to see remaining Codecs List via its Menu;
c) Download and install DirectShow Filter Manager. Delete Codecs from the List of filters it compiles on your PC. Look in GraphEdit, if anything left;
d) Run regsvr32 quartz.dll to repair standard OS codec links in your system;
e) DONE

In Win7 you may want to use similar OS features to deactivate and delete Codecs, and then clean the rest with Win7DSFilterTweaker instead of DirectShow Filter Manager.

Once you uninstalled all extra codecs, it may be a good idea to consider installing latest HD Pack to support quality sat channels playback via your Sat Viewer.

Have fun... :)

Last edited:
Thank you much for responding. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but some pressing personal matters came up.

I haven't tried your method yet, but I will.

Thanks again

Codecs installed on your PC may be divided on supplied with OS and installed by you with some Video Players and Codec Packs. I wouldn't advice to remove Codecs supplied with OS, but they can be selectively deactivated in WinXP via Control Panel - Sound and Audio Devices - Hardware - Audio & Video Codecs.

Codecs installed by you, can be safely removed:

a) uninstall Codec Packs and Players that installed extra Codecs via Control Panel - Add & Remove Programs;
b) Download and install Graphedit to see remaining Codecs List via its Menu;
c) Download and install DirectShow Filter Manager. Delete Codecs from the List of filters it compiles on your PC. Look in GraphEdit, if anything left;
d) Run regsvr32 quartz.dll to repair standard OS codec links in your system;
e) DONE

In Win7 you may want to use similar OS features to deactivate and delete Codecs, and then clean the rest with Win7DSFilterTweaker instead of DirectShow Filter Manager.

Once you uninstalled all extra codecs, it may be a good idea to consider installing latest HD Pack to support quality sat channels playback via your Sat Viewer.

Have fun... :)

I just wanted to thank you. I didn't do the whole Graphedit download, but I did do as you suggested to delete all codecs and codec packs.

Then I selectively downloaded single codecs, namely ffdshow, and the Elecard and Etymonix trials. For the very first time I have gotten S-2 stations - the Reelz, Bloomberg (91w)and the Scripps mux on 135w(now dark). Thanks and I will never download a codec pack ever again.

You are very welcome. Don't be so hard against codec packs though, just more careful reading user feedback. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts