I notice in the dbstalk website you can't talk about "moving" but you can here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree with ejb...local DMA should be limited to what one can receive with rabbit ears..
30-40 miles max. If locals want a larger market let them spend the $$$ to erect relay towers that guarantee a steady signal. No...they don't want to have to spend any $$$ just rake it in.
30 or 40 miles, what about rural folk. I am 75 miles from the transmitters (in the Birmingham DMA) nothing is closer, would I be "DMAless"?
Of course, we have always been able to get Birmingham locals here even in spite of the distance, it requires an outdoor antenna though.

30 or 40 miles, what about rural folk. I am 75 miles from the transmitters (in the Birmingham DMA) nothing is closer, would I be "DMAless"?
In my perfect tv world you'd be able to get Birmingham if you wanted it, but you'd also be able to opt for NY, Chicago, etc. If "locals" want your business fine, but if they're not willing to fork out the $$$ to get that signal to you...tough darts.

Reactions: ChadT41
RE #134 - Is Claude coming out with a box for $50 where we can pick up any market we want.

I was going to host sling boxes on my fiber connection at one point.

Too many copyright issues to deal with having the physical receiver at my office and customers streaming the content.

Only reason why it was a good idea at the time because my upload was insane, and we could stream sling at 8 Megs per second. Beautiful picture and it loaded super fast

If locals want a larger market let them spend the $$$ to erect relay towers that guarantee a steady signal. No...they don't want to have to spend any $$$ just rake it in.
They do that in Minnesota but its spaced out so bad in most of the state you can't get a full set on nets. And you need a huge antenna
Where I live there is a full power (well in the analog days) CBS. Its about 60 miles away. Its a satellite of the Minneapolis stations
FOX is on a low powered translator 30 miles away
NBC doesnt exist here (they turned the license for the translator back in about 5 years ago)
ABC is on a ANALOG (yes ANALOG) translator on the same tower as the Fox station.

if you aren't in town satellite is a necessity

Here's my take on this controversial issue. I agree the Nielsen's DMA system is messed up. Fortunately with an outdoor antenna I get three adjacent markets over-the-air at my location.

Augusta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC

I'm very interested in watching Charleston, SC local channels one day (since my NBC station in Greenville, SC does not carry Kathie Lee and Hoda's 4th hour of Today Show). I was thinking about "moving" but I read comments on this topic, my mind froze! But watching local newscasts from TV station's website is NOT the same as watching it on TV (no commercials/promos, network/syndicated programming, just the dreadful black screen during commercials)

I've heard that in the new STELA Reauthorization bill, it would promote consumer's access to television stations that originate from their state of residence, and the FCC determines what counties (and those in 'orphan counties') that more than one DMA (I would love to watch Columbia and Charleston locals in its entirety if it changed). Localism is important to you state and community you live in. I've already filed my comments at FCC M.B. Dockets: 15-43 and 15-71. The FCC will have a final say by September 4, 2015. It's called Market Modification.

Here's my take on this controversial issue. I agree the Nielsen's DMA system is messed up. Fortunately with an outdoor antenna I get three adjacent markets over-the-air at my location.

Augusta, GA
Charlotte, NC
Columbia, SC

I'm very interested in watching Charleston, SC local channels one day (since my NBC station in Greenville, SC does not carry Kathie Lee and Hoda's 4th hour of Today Show). I was thinking about "moving" but I read comments on this topic, my mind froze! But watching local newscasts from TV station's website is NOT the same as watching it on TV (no commercials/promos, network/syndicated programming, just the dreadful black screen during commercials)

I've heard that in the new STELA Reauthorization bill, it would promote consumer's access to television stations that originate from their state of residence, and the FCC determines what counties (and those in 'orphan counties') that more than one DMA (I would love to watch Columbia and Charleston locals in its entirety if it changed). Localism is important to you state and community you live in. I've already filed my comments at FCC M.B. Dockets: 15-43 and 15-71. The FCC will have a final say by September 4, 2015. It's called Market Modification.
Interesting!

that actually was part of a senate/congress law in Vermont to all VT locals in the state regardless of DMA
Just like WMUR (ABC) in New Hampshire
I do seem to remember something to that effect. Wasn't Bernie Sanders part of that? If so, if he becomes president, maybe we can get rid of DMAs!
I think Patrick Leahy would take some of the credit for that.

What's the deal?
After reading the entire thread I have to sit back and laugh. I am the reason "moving" is not allowed on DBS Talk. I was very active and vocal on the subject. At the time DBSTALK was lax on the subject. I would advise people on zip codes to use and what to say when you called E* to move. One day a fellow in Mexico wanted to use a US zip code to get locals and James"just a lurker" Long went apeshit on the guy for breaking the law using E* outside the US. I told James to chill and said if you are gonna ban talk about getting service outside the US then ban all the talk about moving which is unethical but not illegal. Since that point on any talk about moving was not allowed and could lead to being banned from the site. No conspiracies no bull crap about working for providers. Just an uppity MOD who let the power go to his head. Chris Blount always backs his MOD's no matter what. They pretty much have free reign and they will ban you in a heartbeat for the littlest of comments. Been on that forum since 2001 and followed the saga which spawned the birth of the Satellite Guys forum. Lots of drama back in the day.....

Reactions: Troch77
cj9788 it is the same way over at the DirecTV forums. I was not even a customer with DirecTV for 7 days, before a certain user over at Dbstalk, who username begins with "P", got upset about a new guy on the block coming into the forums and giving a no BS answer to others.

The same thing happened with the Comcast Forums. That took about the same amount of time, before the long time Brown nosers with the manager in charge of worrying about his next photoshoot, but has no clue how the actual service works.

It actually got to the point, that the most vocal manager that is in charge of the Comcast forums, to start sending emails that literally crossed the line of showing how immature that he is.

I actually had to block him and his boss on my email and on Facebook.

When I tried to cancel my account with Comcast. I found out that he had placed a note in the account, that no one was allowed to cancel if I called in.

Little did he know that I still have a few friends at the local Comcast office, that I used to work with, back during my Cingular days. I even got credit back to when I first called in to shut my Internet account down, because I got a better deal with ATT.

You call Dish, tell them you moved and have already reinstalled everything, and give them a false address (or a real one that you don't live at).

Just to add, this is to get Locals you wouldn't normally receive in your DMA.
Some do it for Sports, or maybe sub channels, or even if their own locals are just plain crappy,
Or Maybe more HD.

I fall into the Crappy category.
But I'm right on the county line, or 2 Different DMA.
All I have to do is change my ZIP.

Just remember if they aren't Conus, and you aren't under the spotbeam, you will be moving back.

Haha ! Didn't even pay attention - it's a thread I'm subscribed to so it showed up as having new comments so I paid no attention to which forum it was in (now).

Same steps apply though ;)

Reactions: Troch77
I thought you couldn't "move" on Dish anymore? Since they got in trouble for giving too many people networks they shouldn't have. I got 2 feeds of each of the big 5 and called in to change the CBS and Fox weekly as needed to watch football. Who needed Sunday Ticket? Add the super stations package and OTA and I was happy. Then they started taking away DNS and RSNs and no SV locals.... Bye bye Dish..

I thought you couldn't "move" on Dish anymore? Since they got in trouble for giving too many people networks they shouldn't have. I got 2 feeds of each of the big 5 and called in to change the CBS and Fox weekly as needed to watch football. Who needed Sunday Ticket? Add the super stations package and OTA and I was happy. Then they started taking away DNS and RSNs and no SV locals.... Bye bye Dish..
You must be talking about Distant Networks. Dish never did significantly viewed locals that I have heard of and Superstations are no longer available.

Does Dish have Distant Networks?
Not anymore.

To the previous poster, Dish has no need to verify the address as someone can pick up their owned dish and cabling and install it where they would like as their own liability, so by calling and "moving" the address... There is nothing wrong with that. RVers do this everyday. Now if a customer says "I want these locals so give me a fake address"(this happens more than you'd think) the CSR has a responsibility to decline and educate. All one has to say is something along the lines of "I moved here, my equipment is set up already, change my address". It may still be verified by the EVT, but that is a whole other convo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts