I ordered one of these...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Its off just a hair and I am not sure which way. I really wish I could fly Iceberg here but he don't fly. And I wish some of you guys lived around here but you don't. So I am hoping this will get me where I need to be. :)

How many frequent flyer miles do you have? :D

SO after it cooled down outside I went out and spun the dish on the pole. I had my dish hooked up to my Super Sat Buddy so I can monitor things, I also had my ipad so I could see the signal meter on my AZbox.

In moving the dish left to right I did see very slight increase of signal level, from a 30 to a 38.

Pulling and pushing on the dish didn't really give me much a point or two but nothing to worry about..

Then I got an idea and got out my tall ladder. I then climbed up and loosened up the LNB and started pushing it in and out of the holder and started seeing some imrpvement (was up to 47!) and then I did something with the Geosat Pro C2 Dual LNB. The box on the outside of the LNB was originally pointed at the 2 o clock position. I turned it so that it is now facing the 11 o clock position and pushed it in twards the dish. my signal jumped to 65! I locekd it down.

Since I have come in I have gone from NASA on 87 to NBC on 105. (I am getting my best signal ever on NBC with it coming in at 68!) For the first time ver I was able to scan in ABC HD on 99, but its barely enough to lock on. (I can not lock onto the RTN stuff on 87 though.) :(

So now I have gone to 105 and for the most part things are working well. I am surprised flipping the LNB made a difference like it has. I am sure there is more fine tuning to do, but I will wait til my Arcset comes in so I can see how far I am off. :)

you said "The box on the outside of the LNB was originally pointed at the 2 o clock position. I turned it so that it is now facing the 11 o clock position and pushed it in twards the dish. my signal jumped to 65! I locekd it down."

So basically you rotated or skewed the LNB 90 degrees (3 hours on the clock) therefore in my opinion the horizontal probe end up in the vertical position or it maybe now is getting the horizontal signals finally. What I do not get is, how come you did not loose the signal completly on the meter without reversing polarity?. I hope everyone gets my point?. I think more likely the issue was LNB focal distance related rather than proper skew since you pushed it in also. Either you were getting vertical signals as horizontal or on the contrary now everything is reversed.

I am not sure now but in most LNBF's even the C/Ku combos , the box outside that you refer, most be pointed to the 2 o'clock position (or 180 degrees more or less depending your political affiliation lol) so the horizontal probe gets the horizontal signals and the vertical probe the vertical ones.

I do not know about the US universities but this remind me of one of my professors back in Havana, who was particularly very unforgiving about concept mistakes and used to fail lots of students for concept mistakes even far less obvious that this one. You certainly would have failed BTW and therefore sent to the Cuban Army for your 3 years of mandatory military service, lol.

Does this picture from the Geo-Orbit site help?

whoo.gif
cheer2.gif
whoo.gif
OMG!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whoo::cheer2:
whoo.gif

possibilities

I have to agree with HD Fan above, regarding military service. - :up

The C2 is well documented on the forum as being off by 90°
AND, you normally refer to the -0- that's stamped into the end of the LNBF for positioning, not the box with the electronics.
Normally, the -0- should be at 3 o'clock (which corresponds to 11 o'clock on the box), or 9 o'clock.

As for the suddenly stronger signal, I wondered if maybe you caused a bug to fall off one of the probes...
But more likely, ya just had a bad coax, or connector, or maybe the LNBF had a corroded connector.
At least that's my guess.

It's unlikely your focus or centering were massively off.
Not if you used to get good signals and there is no reason to believe either has changed.
Of course, if you found one or the other loose, then it's reasonable. ;)

Well, that's one lizards opinion.

SO after it cooled down outside I went out and spun the dish on the pole. I had my dish hooked up to my Super Sat Buddy so I can monitor things, I also had my ipad so I could see the signal meter on my AZbox.

In moving the dish left to right I did see very slight increase of signal level, from a 30 to a 38.

Pulling and pushing on the dish didn't really give me much a point or two but nothing to worry about..

Then I got an idea and got out my tall ladder. I then climbed up and loosened up the LNB and started pushing it in and out of the holder and started seeing some imrpvement (was up to 47!) and then I did something with the Geosat Pro C2 Dual LNB. The box on the outside of the LNB was originally pointed at the 2 o clock position. I turned it so that it is now facing the 11 o clock position and pushed it in twards the dish. my signal jumped to 65! I locekd it down.

Since I have come in I have gone from NASA on 87 to NBC on 105. (I am getting my best signal ever on NBC with it coming in at 68!) For the first time ver I was able to scan in ABC HD on 99, but its barely enough to lock on. (I can not lock onto the RTN stuff on 87 though.) :(

So now I have gone to 105 and for the most part things are working well. I am surprised flipping the LNB made a difference like it has. I am sure there is more fine tuning to do, but I will wait til my Arcset comes in so I can see how far I am off. :)

Ok Scott. I am going to tell you a BIG secret. All the way from the Bayou. The way to set the skew with ALL the voltage controlled LNB's that set at 9:00: move your dish to whatever satellite is at your True South, then make some kind of mark on the scalar ring at the 9:00 position with a sharpie. On my bigger dishes that you can't reach on a ladder, I have a sharpie taped to a 6 foot piece of 1x1 wood stock to do it. You could use a broom, even, if you need to

THEN, you run the dish to the west until you can reach the LNB comfortably from a ladder. Hook your receiver, meter, or whatever to the LNB AT THE DISH, no ipad, yelling at Prize Goddess over the phone, you MUST be AT the dish with your equipment. The lag in any electronic device is just too great when doing this, IMO.

Then select a satellite that has BOTH a H and a V transponder, ( I use 125w here, but you being farther east, may have to go farther west to find one that you can reach the LNB from a ladder comfortably). You know now, from your mark earlier, where the 9:00 position is, you can put the LNB in, tune your two transponders, and get your skew correct. That arrow molded into the housing isn't always the best place to set it, sometimes its a few degrees off.

Then and only then can you adjust your in and out ( F/D), although it should be set and forgotten, ideally, All my dishes work better with other than stock LNB settings, so that isn't out of the ordinary. I chalk it up to age and manufacturing error.

Once you are sure the signals are close on each polarity ( remember we dont know what the transmit power of the transponders are, so they may not be exactly the same, you just dont want one with 25 quality and one with 90 quality), THEN you can use the instructions on the geo-orbit site. I knew nothing about aiming a dish, but reading geo orbit, got me to the point I am. ( well that and Linuxman and Anole yelling in my ear that I was doing it wrong all the time....)

Keep us updated. And yeah, it ain't easy. If it was, we wouldn't have directv for all the slackers out there. ;):D

Scott: I could possibly be persuaded to take a peek at your dish. I live in Killingly nowadays so its not that far to head your way, and I regularly have to move and adjust 4.5m dishes, yours should be a piece of cake.

So today (after being told for the past year from a few Old Timers) I ordered an ARC SET from Jim Roberts of Gourmet... ENTERTAINING.

My condolances... Knowing what I know now, I would have never gotten an ARC SET. I bought one like 10 years ago, used it to set a couple of my dishes, and put it back in its cardboard shipping box and set it on a shelf next to my TVRO books/other tools. I looked at it about a year or two ago when I was thinking of maybe using it to check my dishes. One of the three bubble vials had cracked and the liquid seeped out or evaporated. The other pieces of the arcset felt fragile and looked aged. I emailed Jim to find out if he warranties or stands behind his products and no response. Obviously once he makes the sale, he doesn't care what happens to his devices. I bet your ARC SET will be good for maybe 5 years and then it too will start to crack or deteriorate and become worthless because of cracked plastic due to aging. Did Jim even get back to you - i.e. fulfill your order or maybe tell you he isn't selling those anymore? All you need is the satfinder (what I got when I gave up on the ARC SAT replacement/repair possibility) or I think you said you had a super sat buddy. That meter that can lock onto digital signals and give you s/n or BER and a working knowledge of the steps of putting a C-band dish on the arc is all you need and that meter works great for me and touching up all my dishes on a yearly basis.

Got my Arc Set in the mail yesterday. Haven't used it yet. But I was impressed with the build quality of this thing as well as the shipping box which houses the instructions for how to aim your dish. The plastic is heavy plastic with all the logos and words on it engraved into the plastic. This is no off the shelf item that has been modified to work for aiming satellite dishes. This was crafted to do this one job.

I can't wait to try it, hopefully I get a chance this weekend.

Ultratryon, thanks for the offer, let me see if I can get it myself first. Its almost there now. With this tool I will be able to see how far I am off. :D

Now to remember what bolts are for declination and elevation on my dish. :D :D

Attachments

• P1010427.JPG
    P1010427.JPG
    519.3 KB · Views: 181
  • P1010429.JPG
    P1010429.JPG
    624.6 KB · Views: 201
  • P1010434.JPG
    P1010434.JPG
    811.6 KB · Views: 196
But I was impressed with the build quality of this thing as well as the shipping box which houses the instructions for how to aim your dish. The plastic is heavy plastic with all the logos and words on it engraved into the plastic.

The device will be fine for a few years, but as it ages it will start to yellow and possibly develop minute cracks and if the vial plastic cracks, the liquid will seep out or evaporate. Since I have a satfinder meter now, no need for an ARC SET because I understand the reasoning of the steps of setting/repeaking a dish on the arc and using my satfinder to dial things in for maximum signal strength.

The device will be fine for a few years, but as it ages it will start to yellow and possibly develop minute cracks and if the vial plastic cracks, the liquid will seep out or evaporate. Since I have a satfinder meter now, no need for an ARC SET because I understand the reasoning of the steps of setting/repeaking a dish on the arc and using my satfinder to dial things in for maximum signal strength.

The material sounds not too good. Did you by any chance keep yours in a dark place for storage?

Well today I broke out the Arc Set too and all I can say is WOW, this thing works!

By god this thing worked and worked well! Setting up the dish only took a few minutes, I wish I would have purchased one of these years ago!

You dont need to know any number such as your elevation, your declination or anything like that at all.

First put one of the units so you can set the declination. Keep adjusting until the bubble is in the middle, once its there stop.

Now attach another one to the back of the dish and move your dish to the center point. Now adjust your elevation until that bubble is in the middle...

Now use your motor and move the dish to the furthest satellite you can see for me it is 131. I took a piece of sheet metal I had and placed it in the back of the dish so I had more area for the unit to stick to. When the motor was at 131 that bubble was in the middle and I had to turn the dish on the pole just a smidde then boom looking at my meter I had signal! I then got on the ladder and adjusted the LNB skew and pushed it in and out until I got the highest signal possible then locked the LNB down. Now the proof in the pudding was I moved the dish to 91 degrees and when I got there I was locked on the satellite and had a nice high signal.

Signals that were in the 40's or 50's were now in the 80's... some in the 90's!

After that I played on the ladder some more and tried out a few different LNB's I had. I tried a BSC621, a BSC621-2 and a GeosatPro G2 C Band LNB. Overall the Geosat gave me the best signal reading out of them all, but I ended up switching over to the BSC621-2 C/KU Band LNB. I purchased it years ago and hated it because I could never get it to work... well its working now! And in my limited testing tonight I am getting very good C and KU band reception on my dish!

I am VERY happy!

As I said before I should have purchased one of these years ago!!! I will try to post pictures later.

Scott,

I went ahead and ordered one of these based on your recommendation. At Gorurmet Entertaining's website, I noticed that you do not input your Amex payment information. Do they E-Mail you when they receive the order? That is what I gathered. I hope that you get time to post some pics soon, I would like to see a visual demonstration of how it works. I am getting my C-Band dish in a little over two weeks, and I am trying to get everything together.

Here are some photos. :)

Again worked GREAT and no needing to know any numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_20110802_104428.jpg
    IMG_20110802_104428.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20110802_105008.jpg
    IMG_20110802_105008.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20110802_181533.jpg
    IMG_20110802_181533.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 170
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)