I ordered one of these...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From the site: :)

"The ARC-SET's transparent body allows you to see the bubbles from virtually any vantage point (for alignment of Dishes which are in creatively inconvenient locations). There are transverse bubble vials fixed in each end to guide you in measuring the steepest slope angle of any inclined surface. Your ARC-SET can be pre-set for your 50-mile territory, based on our computer's "Optimum 'Polar' Mount Analysis". You can easily re-set it for alternative locations. Loosen the slotted screws to change its settings. With the screws loosened, the adjustable level vials turn easily. Put your ARC-SET on a trustworthy "Mother Dish", in the alternative location, that is satisfactorily on ARC (with its Feed properly laterally focused), center the AXIS, then ZENITH, and finally the EXTREME bubbles, and tighten the slotted screws (they go metal to matal, to lock the bubbles firmly without risk of pulling out threads). Your ARC-SET will duplicate that "Mother Dish" exactly and within a 50-mile radius, it will put all the new Dishes on the Arc just like it. Be sure to set it back, from one of your previously set local Dishes, when you return home."

Extended Arc-Set Information

Sorry, didn't see that this had already been posted.

The set is custom and only works for a small area.
Check the site; I'm sure it said (50 miles?). I don't remember.

So, if Scott sold me his, it would be useless here on the west coast.
In other words, little or no resale value unless to someone local.

It can be reset for a different location, the following is from the website

"You can easily re-set it for alternative locations. Loosen the slotted screws to change its settings. With the screws loosened, the adjustable level vials turn easily. Put your ARC-SET on a trustworthy "Mother Dish", in the alternative location, that is satisfactorily on ARC (with its Feed properly laterally focused), center the AXIS, then ZENITH, and finally the EXTREME bubbles, and tighten the slotted screws (they go metal to matal, to lock the bubbles firmly without risk of pulling out threads). Your ARC-SET will duplicate that "Mother Dish" exactly and within a 50-mile radius, it will put all the new Dishes on the Arc just like it. Be sure to set it back, from one of your previously set local Dishes, when you return home."

I'm looking forward to seeing how you guys figure out a way to make these things on your own. :D

If it didn't work after 5 - 10 weeks (or even months) you might say its poor construction, but I wouldn't say that for a product thats served you well for over 5 years.

wow, you have low expectations. I have a pole plumb thing of plastic and vials and an inclinometer that are older than the arcset and are better condition than the arcset. I've only had to replace the rubber bands on the pole plumb device. Considering the arcset is made of plastic, one would think if used properly that it will last a long time but I think corners were cut in order to sell more of them (to break more often if you are a true TVRO installer using it many times a week) or to maximize profit margin on each one sold by using as cheap of plastic as possible.

I have heard of "plastic" being made out of corn and soy these days. It's supposed to be bio friendly in that it eventually will break down and not leave toxins behind. Perhaps that is what was used here?

Another thing I learned the hard way, if you get OIL on plastic or rubber it disintegrates rapidly! We bought a little plastic art easel for my daughter and it was hard to adjust it, it was sticking real bad so I put oil on it. It disintegrated within 3 days, it started breaking apart like rotten balsa wood!
And the heater hose on my car disintegrated and blew out because I dripped motor oil on it.
My dad said never, ever put oil on anything except metal. I believe him now! Maybe the guy that had the level gadget problems got oil on it?

Another thing I learned the hard way, if you get OIL on plastic or rubber it disintegrates rapidly! Maybe the guy that had the level gadget problems got oil on it?

Polycarbonate is tough, but oil exposure and stress cracking is its bugaboo. One company made motorcycle brake and clutch handles out of clear polycarbonate, how cool is that? Except they would get oil on them, and over time they would unexpectedly fail. :eek:

I always look up the modified declination angle on the Geo-Orbit site (which I link all the time).

Last month, I was talking to someone setting up a new dish, and had him hold a minute while I used the chart, his latitude, and a calculator to interpolate between two table entries to get his exact elevation and declination.
I told him to write 'em down, as they were the last numbers he'd ever need to know. ;)

Took me three or four minutes, 'cause I did the calculations twice or three times, just to make sure I hadn't screwed up. :)

have you tried the motorized option. gave me a declination angle a couple minutes ago.

crackt out,.
I had not, Thanks for the pointer. It does sound like the Geo-Orbit site gets you a better number by using the modified declination angle.
Bob

Everyone that needs to know all about C band alignment etc need to get this book. I got a copy locally in 1988. Best investment I ever made. Once you learn the tricks its a piece of cake setting and tracking the arc.

The Home Satellite TV Installation & Troubleshooting Manual

Skyvision Satellite Equipment

Also if your somewhat peaked up look at this video I put up from the old Sky Store about alignment:

4DTV Online Video's

Last edited:
tvropro;2602414 [SIZE=3 said:
The Home Satellite TV Installation & Troubleshooting Manual[/SIZE]

Don't get that book from Skyvision - it's in Spanish. Amazon has it in English (and apparently a 5th edition! My copy is only a fourth edition). Your public library may even carry it if you want to check it out before buying a copy.

You guys are missing a very important part of all of this...

You keep mentioining numbers and calculations in setting up a C Band dish.

With this took you don't need no stinking numbers... throw the numbers away and be up and running on the arc in 5 minutes...

One thing I did notice All the way from 131 down to 87 my numbers were great (didnt try going past 87 as there is nothing else past that which I want to see..) But noticed that my numbers on 87 were a little lower then the rest of the arc... I can't pick up the S2 signals on 87 for the RTV channels (I want PBJ!) I am wondering if my LNB is a little off center... Guess I will need to go up and check it tonight. :)

Off topic for a moment, my kids are loving PBJ. I'm pulling in that transponder at 4080 at about 63% on my 10.5 footer. 3800 comes in at 58%. Good luck getting it.

On topic, I agree with Scott on this. If his money purchased his wanted outcome, who cares? He, like most of us, have spent much time and money on getting things set up the way we want. He got what he wanted. Others didn't by purchasing the same thing. That happens.

In business you can satisfy about 90% of people on the first try, an additional 5% with further effort, and the other 5% you just can't. He's in the 90%. He's happy. That's great. That's all that counts.

I can't pick up the S2 signals on 87 for the RTV channels (I want PBJ!) I am wondering if my LNB is a little off center...

I would guess it could also be your dish is too small (and maybe even combined with a weaker part of the footprint).

I remember when I had the 7 1/2 foot wide orbitron, the two RTV muxes on AMC-3 would come and go depending on the FEC setting of the day. One FEC setting and lock was no problem, another FEC setting and I couldn't get a lock. So the muxes would come and go depending on what the signal parameter FEC was. All those issues went away when I put up a 9' dish in that part of the yard (and no problems experienced either with the 8.xx' birdview solid that i acquired and placed in that part of the yard).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)