I predict...

I think SBC's a bigger takeover target than Voom. For some reason I'm thinking Charlie is more into technical backing then programming. I think he wants to be out in the lead with tech and SBC seems to be viable.

I think Voom is too obvious a target, and would draw deals from other companies.

bcshields said:
I think SBC's a bigger takeover target than Voom. For some reason I'm thinking Charlie is more into technical backing then programming. I think he wants to be out in the lead with tech and SBC seems to be viable.

I think Voom is too obvious a target, and would draw deals from other companies.
You seriously think that Dish could ever take over a telephone company, particularly one of the largest phone companies in the country? Dish/Charlie don't have the financial backing to even come close to doing something like that.

cdru said:
You seriously think that Dish could ever take over a telephone company, particularly one of the largest phone companies in the country? Dish/Charlie don't have the financial backing to even come close to doing something like that.

It would be just like a small company like Worldcom trying to buy out a mommouth like MCI! :rolleyes: :D

I predict that:

The NFL channel will NOT be on E* and that D* will sign up for 5 more years of exclusive rights for Sunday Ticket.

The 2004 Summer Olympics will be in HD on Dish on the special events channel as PPV.

cdru said:

I'm thinking they'll takeover Dish....

If Dish takes over VOOM, what are we dealing with?? Using Dish boxes to see voom content?? There are so many possibilities, its scary? Unless they replace every box, its not do-able.

Here go my predictions for Dish Network.

1. Another shopping channel will inhabit channel 220 by the end of the summer.
2. Several local markets will move to 61.5 and 148 since the 2 dish ban to receive a locals package has been passed.
3. Significantly-viewed status will be granted during the SHVIA renewal.
4. Dish Network will add 15-20 more local markets before MAJORLY slowing down. 7 are currently uplinked and NOT available.
5. Turner Broadcasting will launch an HD CNN within the next year. Not necessarily with the same name, but I think they'll launch an HD news channel.
6. Dish Network will add 2-3 HD channels, 1 (unless it's INHD) going to the basic HD pack. 2 may just be the west feeds of Showtime and HBO.
7. Tony (big Dish channel chart) will FINALLY get WBQC (UPN) in Cincinnati.
8. This is a bold prediction, but I bet Dish Network gets YES Network by the start of next baseball season.
9. Dish will add a few basic package sports channels. One is uplinked, or at least has a reserved spot (Horse Racing TV). Hopefully Fuel will be one of them.
10. Dish Network will expand Hispanic packages with the addition of ESPN Deportes and a few other channels.
11. Dish Network will begin work on an PVR (maybe or maybe not HD) receiver that IS compatible with DishWire or firewire.
12. Dish Network will launch Playboy Hot HD or Spice HD by the end of the year.
13. Dish Network will add 5-8 more foreign channels by the end of the year, including a German channel or package.
14. Dish Network will resolve the local channel dispute with Pappas by year's end.
15. Lastly, whenever the contract renewal comes up for the Hallmark Channel, we will either lose the channel or gain the Hallmark Movie Channel as part of a new deal.

I predict that folks will still be wondering where their OTA channel guide is on their 921 and will be anxiously awaiting the promise of the 922 while DirectV had already come out with their 2nd. generation of HD Tivo/PVRs.

mattyro said:
If Dish takes over VOOM, what are we dealing with?? Using Dish boxes to see voom content?? There are so many possibilities, its scary? Unless they replace every box, its not do-able.

If, and it's a big if, they did do it, they wouldn't use Voom boxes, or replace current Dish boxes with Voom-capable boxes. They would use Voom's bandwidth and content, encoded for existing Dish hw. Of course, they would need to swap out existing Voom subs' hw...all 48 of them.

I predict that Dish will exceed expectations for new subscribers by a significant margin.

Scott Greczkowski said:
1) I predict that Dish Network will have more HD Content before the end of the year
I predict that the new HD will be aired off the 61.5 Satellite
I predict that Dish will announce a major partnership with a major content providers to get more content.
I predict this announcement will surprise a lot of people.
I agree with this, except I expect 105º to be the host of this new HD after AMC-15's launch. The announcement will be made the day after iceman signs a contract with voom.

Selected points for comment:
DBSOgre said:
1. Another shopping channel will inhabit channel 220 by the end of the summer.
2. Several local markets will move to 61.5 and 148 since the 2 dish ban to receive a locals package has been passed.
4. Dish Network will add 15-20 more local markets before MAJORLY slowing down. 7 are currently uplinked and NOT available.
5. Turner Broadcasting will launch an HD CNN within the next year. Not necessarily with the same name, but I think they'll launch an HD news channel.
6. Dish Network will add 2-3 HD channels, 1 (unless it's INHD) going to the basic HD pack. 2 may just be the west feeds of Showtime and HBO.
7. Tony (big Dish channel chart) will FINALLY get WBQC (UPN) in Cincinnati.
8. This is a bold prediction, but I bet Dish Network gets YES Network by the start of next baseball season.
12. Dish Network will launch Playboy Hot HD or Spice HD by the end of the year.
14. Dish Network will resolve the local channel dispute with Pappas by year's end.
1) Almost a given ... shopping channels pay!
2) I don't think so. E* will resist removing markets from Dish500 as much as possible. Perhaps to 105 or 121 if they get stuck by law.
4) I expect dish to get to 150 markets before any slowdown.
5) CNN HD will only work if they can get news clips in HD. There isn't enough originated content ... yet.
6) BravoHD, StarzHD, maybe TNT-HD.
7) WBQC won't be there till next year, just to spite Tony. You would add it, I would add it, but E*? They are waiting for some imaginary date!
8) Yes next year ... OK.
12) Spice HD ... for those who like well defined images.
14) Yep. The recent moves in from 148 seems to be what they wanted.

Sirius 61 music plus some talk (not all, but probably five or six) to AT120's
Muzak remains or moves to AT180 and above only.
TV Guide at 102 soon. TV Games Interactive added too.

JL

justalurker said:
I agree with this, except I expect 105º to be the host of this new HD after AMC-15's launch. The announcement will be made the day after iceman signs a contract with voom...JL
Agree with JL about AMC-15@105. But I predict we'll have BravoHD in time for the summer Olympics and maybe STARZHD before that.

I predict the Tech Chat on or about May 10 will be a real snooze-fest. The tech guys will be sore the next day from jumping and dodging all the tough HW questions.

I predict the following:

(1) After the announced local channel additions go live, the number of local markets to be launched will drop dramatically to make room for the 'extra' locals from 61.5/148 to 105/121.

(2) There will be little HD content added this year (fewer than five) in which may be due to lack of quality HD content and more likely due to the 'extra' locals moving from 61.5/148 to 105/121.

(3) The 322 and 522 become available for existing customers and possibly an upgrade deal for them as well.

(4) Name Based recording for the DVR's will be delayed, along with Dish Home for the 721/921.

(5) Subscriber growth for Dish Network will increase less than it had previously as DirecTv subscriber growth increases as they add multiple local markets soon with the launch of the new satellite. Many Dish Network subscriber will switch to DirecTv because their locals dish solution is smaller and DirecTv makes up for some of the subscribers they lost when some DirecTv customers went to Dish Network when the locals that DirecTv did not have launched.

(6) Dish Network will launch a new promotion.

(7) A price increase will happen across the board on all basic packages between $1-3 while premium movie packages stay the same or increase $1 in price in the first quarter of 2005.

(8) Dish Network's two-way internet service which is supposed to start in 2005 will be delayed until at least 2006.

Now that I think about it I think that Ashley isa lady he met playing Bingo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts