I think my 722 is about to die, options?

RollTide1017

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Montgomery, AL
My 722 has been rebooting during the day on its own more often lately (even rebooted 3 times in an hour one day last week), locking up causing me to have to reboot it and this morning nothing but black on all HD channels (was fine after a reboot). I do not have the protection plan so, what can I expect as far as cost to replace it? Is there a way to transfer recordings and timer settings from my current 722 to the new one when and if I get it?

You can connect an EHD and transfer your recordings to it. You can then either transfer them back to the new receiver once it's on the account or simply playback the recordings from the EHD. You need to buy one that has 2.0 USB with it's own power supply (not powered via the USB). There is no charge for this service. You can add the protection plan and use it immediately. If you have a 722k with the 20.0 remote, you should be able to transfer your timers, but that may be all.

Dish would not replace my 722 receiver although it never worked properly. We bought a new 722K from a company through Amazon. It was cheaper than Dish and works very well.

Thanks for the info. It is leased but I'm not under a contract right now. I have never payed the fee to turn on the USB for EHD use, will have to decide if we want to keep our recordings bad enough to pay that fee.

Thanks for the info. It is leased but I'm not under a contract right now. I have never payed the fee to turn on the USB for EHD use, will have to decide if we want to keep our recordings bad enough to pay that fee.

There is no fee with Dish's dvr receivers (612, 622, 722, 722k, 922 or Hopper). The 211/411 non-dvr receivers do have an activation fee.

Roll do you have the 722 plugged into a surge protector? I did and this was the cause if my 722 reboots. Replaced and never had a problem again.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Are you sure? I had my WD 250GB My Passport hooked up to my 622 for awhile. It doesn't have its own power supply.
There is a preciously small chance that this will work. The documentation is emphatic about not tempting fate but those such as yourself that insist on doing it anyway.

Some low draw HDDs have been shown to work in the short run. Some doubt exists about the strain on the STB's power supply and ckts over the long run.

There is a preciously small chance that this will work. The documentation is emphatic about not tempting fate but those such as yourself that insist on doing it anyway.

Small chance? My point is, it works, regardless of what the Dish website or documentation says.

Some low draw HDDs have been shown to work in the short run. Some doubt exists about the strain on the STB's power supply and ckts over the long run.

Not leaving it plugged in 24/7 makes more sense then saying there is a small chance it will work at all. Personally, I don't leave my external drive attached to my 722 plugged into the power supply and the receiver 24/7 either, only because I have this thing about leaving things plugged into an outlet when they are not being used.

Are you sure? I had my WD 250GB My Passport hooked up to my 622 for awhile. It doesn't have its own power supply.

I have a 500GB WD My Passport which has been working fine since August. Plugged in continuously too, either to a 612 or a 722. I unplug it only to move it to a different receiver. And guess what? Neither receiver has smoked. ;)

I have a 500GB WD My Passport which has been working fine since August. Plugged in continuously too, either to a 612 or a 722. I unplug it only to move it to a different receiver. And guess what? Neither receiver has smoked. ;)

The power consumption on the 250GB is 0.55A-0.6A.

Thanks for all the info guys, really helpful but, we've decided to switch to DirecTV. Deal was just to good to pass up, almost $20 cheaper for the first 10 months, whole home DVR installed for free and my kids will get Disney Jr. and I'll finally get ESPNU HD. It really wasn't the 722 that caused us to switch, we've been considering it for awhile now because of the AMC debacle and the never ending Disney dispute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)