I took the plunge...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now see, theres a perfect example, I have had HR24's since they came out and have had NO SPEED issues with them at all.
I'm not saying that the HR24 is slow as it's still fast compared to the older models HR2x, not sure about the HR34 as I never had it, But the new HR44 respond a little quicker than the HR24 but not by much, In my experience the 24 and 44 are the fastest DVR's compared to the rest, HD receivers don't have this issue.

AH... I've suggested DTV has imperfections and those unwilling to admit every service has its flaws are out to defend their honor...
a) I didn't "come over here" to slam.. I *am* a DTV customer
b) I have the HR34
c) I have NO C31 clients
d) I HAD a Dish 622, and a family member has a 722, so I am very familiar with their speeds

So, I stand by my observations of GUI responsiveness. And/or I'm just not the lucky type of person who always gets perfect/bug-free equipment.

I've been on the DTV side of the board for ~15 months.... I've learned to interpret that any time a long-time DTV customer (ie. they really don't have much to compare to except previous DTV products) says "OMG this new DVR is SOO much faster".. what that really means in "this DVR is less slow".... Perhaps the GUI speed on the HR44 will finally give DTV something worthy of some boasting (and please let them figure out how to back-port that GUI to the HR34.. one of these days I really will throw it thru a window while I'm waiting for it to scroll in the guide)

Why is it ... regardless of the recvr, the Dish one people always say is faster, regardless, without ever using one.

Its amazing how that 5 year old DISH unit is still the best there is.

I set up DISH for they neighbor at the lake and it was no where near as good as the recvr in the next cttage over and I think that was an old H21 .

Fwiw, to make you happy, Yes, D* recvrs have issues from time to time, just like DISHs do .... but I gotta say, at least D* puts out updates to fix and change things.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Sadly, we now live in a "If it isn't done Yesterday, its not good enough " world.

Id much rather have a recvr that worked that you know is going to do what you need done, than a lightning fast variety, jusst for it being fast ....
Before you know it, the channel will haveto have been changed BEFORE the remote is touched to be fast enough .... Good Grief .....

Installer is here. It is a 44 as I requested. He told me I would have gotten one anyway, as they stopped installing 34's when they ran out at his company. My client box is an HR-24... Is that good to go, Jimbo?

A Ferrari is faster than a semi-truck, try and haul a load of 40 ft. Pipe in a Ferrari.
That’s the way I look at it the DIRECTV receiver works so well it does so much and is so easy to operate that if it was a little slower I would not care, in my opinion having move from dish in December there is no comparison the equipment works and now instead of fans and missing so many show I just enjoy watching TV

Installer is here. It is a 44 as I requested. He told me I would have gotten one anyway, as they stopped installing 34's when they ran out at his company. My client box is an HR-24... Is that good to go, Jimbo?

HR24 is fine, i have one with my hr34, 7 tuners ftw

i wil say my 622 was faster then my hr24 or hr 34

but the 24 and 24 search function, view upcoming, cast crew, ect ect, function blow away anything dish had.

All hooked up and working... My installer did not know you could use another HD Receiver to hook up to Genie. He said he was new. So far, I like it. I know the HR44 is busy downloading and doing things. I still find it to be quick on it's feet.

I might be looking hard, but I feel like ESPN HD looks better on Direct than it did on Dish.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Give it a day or so to get everything downloaded, if your experience is like mine, you will still find it swift, and maybe even more so than now. A welcome change from past directv equipment.

Good setup you went with, I think you will be most pleased.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sadly, we now live in a "If it isn't done Yesterday, its not good enough " world.

Id much rather have a recvr that worked that you know is going to do what you need done, than a lightning fast variety, jusst for it being fast ....
Before you know it, the channel will haveto have been changed BEFORE the remote is touched to be fast enough .... Good Grief .....

I'd rather have it work and be swift. Both seem to have equipment that do both at this point (depending on model of course)

I leave my receivers on native, ESPN does look better to me from DIRECTV compared to my Dish sub ... (have both)

What dish receiver do you have? I found that the hopper looked better, for whatever reason, than previous dish receivers.

To me, and I had them hooked up for a day or two at the same time, the hd picture is comparable on both, and varies which is ahead depending in the channel and different times.

Both seem quite good, directv staying as good as they Have been for some time, and dish doing something with the hopper to become equal, or almost anyway.

All hooked up and working... My installer did not know you could use another HD Receiver to hook up to Genie. He said he was new. So far, I like it. I know the HR44 is busy downloading and doing things. I still find it to be quick on it's feet.

I might be looking hard, but I feel like ESPN HD looks better on Direct than it did on Dish.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

It has been generally stated that Direct's HD feed looks a liitle better than Dish's. But that is in the eye of the beholder.. I hope you enjoy your new service and equipment.. I have been with Direct for just over 1 year and I would never think of going back to Dish.. IMHO..

Absolutely loving this setup. I record quite a few shows on Friday night and I had 4 timers going while watching something else. The speed of the 44 is great and the 24 in the bedroom is pretty much as fast as my Joey was, but with two extra tuners.

The other thing I notice is that there is no pixellation using the whole home DVR over the Coax network. On my Hopper/Joey, I had to unhook the Coax from the Joey and use the Cat 5.

I'm very happy with this setup. I am really glad you all mentioned to me to get a 2nd DVR instead of the mini Genie.

HAve never used the Hopper so I don't know how fast it is. Have heard way too many stories of all it's problems to try it for a while.

I did have Dish for almost 12 years. Had a 522 then upgraded to the 722. The 722 when they worked were the fastest DVR I ever worked with. It's just that they would die about every year.

Having now worked with Directv for the last 5 years. The new HR34 and HR44 are very quick. I personally have the 34 and with weekly reboots and the red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green trick it stays very quick. The HR24 also stays pretty fast with the reboots and the clearing trick. The older units OMG those things were slow.

I'm still undecided if I want to go back to directv. I have the dish already still and haven't taken it down so it would be easy for the installer . I do miss not having hot pass and full time rsn's. a 200.00 Costco giftcard or even a 150.00 best buy card is enticing enough to sign up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)