I took the plunge...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
After 22 minutes, I was able to speak to someone and get it changed. He was less than enthusiastic and tried to talk me into keeping the client. When I insisted, he then charged me the 199 + tax...

I wonder why the resistance? I suppose they need to get some Genie Mini's out in the wild.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm glad I didn't have to learn the hard way about the client being slow. Nice to have 2 additional tuners. I may throw an AM21 in the mix too. I have an excellent off air antenna system here, from when I used my 722K from Dish for my HD Locals.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but, coming from Dish, the Genie will be very slow. I have seen the Hopper and 722k 4 times in separate homes in the past 2 weeks and was quite surprised as to how fast and responsive the dish equipment was compared to the Genie.

Also, if you're getting an AM21: with a client, you will have guide access to the local OTA channels at both locations, but with a HR34+ HR/H2x you will not. You can record an OTA show and watch it on both locations, though.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but, coming from Dish, the Genie will be very slow. I have seen the Hopper and 722k 4 times in separate homes in the past 2 weeks and was quite surprised as to how fast and responsive the dish equipment was compared to the Genie.

Also, if you're getting an AM21: with a client, you will have guide access to the local OTA channels at both locations, but with a HR34+ HR/H2x you will not. You can record an OTA show and watch it on both locations, though.

Yes this was a good point you will need an am21 for each receiver location.... I didn't notice you ask about that when I replied at first. As for hopper vs genie speed relation I choose not to comment.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I did 'officially' request the new Genie, both on the phone and via my 'notes to installer'. I explained what I was coming from and that if it was slow enough to bother me that I would cancel within the allotted time.

I don't know if that will help or not, but I need it to at least be as fast as the original Hopper. I don't expect HWS speed. This box is ridiculously fast, as is the Joey. I really need the 5 tuners and want the NFL package. If Dish had 5 tuners in one box, I'd be good. It's just that with PTAT enabled, you basically have a two tuner box left over. That isn't enough, with more and more good shows being on cable networks.

if you really want the new genie
ask the installer before he does anything
refuse at this point

Gotta repeat this... the 34 might be fast compared to previous options from DTV, but coming from Dish, it will seem slow. I'm 15 months in to my contract and still frustrated by the mediocre responsiveness of the HR34 vs. the Dish 622 I had before.

You will be surprised how fast the HR44 is compared to the HR24, and small like a HD receiver(maybe a little bigger but not by much) but with 5 tuners.

Gotta repeat this... the 34 might be fast compared to previous options from DTV, but coming from Dish, it will seem slow. I'm 15 months in to my contract and still frustrated by the mediocre responsiveness of the HR34 vs. the Dish 622 I had before.

Once again, as MANY have mentioned ... the Genie 34 is NOT slow if you don't add the Clients to it.

Also, the OP is getting the 44, or refusing from the sounds of it.... YOU cannot possibly tell us that the new 44 is slow as well seeing you don't have one.

Many people here seem to want to come over and slam D* speed one devices they Don't even have/use.

According to those same people here, my HR24's slow compared to Dish, which is just NO TRUE.

Just because one persons set up may be slow, doesn't mean the next one will be.

As for the Clients, well , they appear to be the exception, I have yet to hear or see someone that has had one that isn't slow.
Thats a perfect reason to get another recvr vs the client ...

I can tell you that not EVERY DISH product is super fast like those here seem to think.

You will be surprised how fast the HR44 is compared to the HR24, and small like a HD receiver(maybe a little bigger but not by much) but with 5 tuners.

Now see, theres a perfect example, I have had HR24's since they came out and have had NO SPEED issues with them at all.

Once again, as MANY have mentioned ... the Genie 34 is NOT slow if you don't add the Clients to it.

Also, the OP is getting the 44, or refusing from the sounds of it.... YOU cannot possibly tell us that the new 44 is slow as well seeing you don't have one.

Many people here seem to want to come over and slam D* speed one devices they Don't even have/use.

According to those same people here, my HR24's slow compared to Dish, which is just NO TRUE.

Just because one persons set up may be slow, doesn't mean the next one will be.

As for the Clients, well , they appear to be the exception, I have yet to hear or see someone that has had one that isn't slow.
Thats a perfect reason to get another recvr vs the client ...

I can tell you that not EVERY DISH product is super fast like those here seem to think.

AH... I've suggested DTV has imperfections and those unwilling to admit every service has its flaws are out to defend their honor...
a) I didn't "come over here" to slam.. I *am* a DTV customer
b) I have the HR34
c) I have NO C31 clients
d) I HAD a Dish 622, and a family member has a 722, so I am very familiar with their speeds

So, I stand by my observations of GUI responsiveness. And/or I'm just not the lucky type of person who always gets perfect/bug-free equipment.

I've been on the DTV side of the board for ~15 months.... I've learned to interpret that any time a long-time DTV customer (ie. they really don't have much to compare to except previous DTV products) says "OMG this new DVR is SOO much faster".. what that really means in "this DVR is less slow".... Perhaps the GUI speed on the HR44 will finally give DTV something worthy of some boasting (and please let them figure out how to back-port that GUI to the HR34.. one of these days I really will throw it thru a window while I'm waiting for it to scroll in the guide)

I can't speak for him, but I can tell you from my past experience with both services, how fast the DVRs operate is fairly far down the list of reasons not to! I had D* until a few months ago with a pair of HR24s and while they worked very well, calling them any kind of 'fast' would be a big stretch, especially compared to the Vip's and Hoppers that Dish has. They were faster than my HR21 of days gone by. But they worked just fine and did what they were supposed to, though a bit slowly with many times of just ignoring the remote.

And almost any day you can find someone complaining about the speed of D*'s HDDVRs, not even hard to do at all.

He might have switched 'cause D* had some channels he thought he needed, or maybe just 'cause he got a deal. I have and will continue to switch between the services when it is in my financial best interest. Channels in HD between the two are close enough that I don't find any compelling reason to have one over the other. It really just gets down to the benjamins! :)

Perhaps the GUI speed on the HR44 will finally give DTV something worthy of some boasting

Ive also been with both, and had multiple models. Had the HRs (20-23) with D* (have also played with the 24 and 34), swapped to Dish and the Hopper (parents have the 722k), and am now back with Directv and the HR-44.

In my experience, with previous HR models, there is no comparison between them and the Dish equipment. The Vip and Hoppers are much faster.

With the HR-44, Directv has finally gotten the speed on par with at the least, the first hopper. Have not tried the HWS.

HWS is a bit faster, though with the speed of the original Hopper being so good, it isn't all that big a deal.

Glad to hear the HR44 has caught up with E*'s speed and I'll be watching the postings as time goes on to see if that speed holds up over time.

Why did you choose to leave Dish and move to Directv?

If that question was to me, it's not relevant to a objective discussion of GUI speed.

I had D* until a few months ago with a pair of HR24s and while they worked very well, calling them any kind of 'fast' would be a big stretch, especially compared to the Vip's and Hoppers that Dish has.

In my experience, with previous HR models, there is no comparison between them and the Dish equipment. The Vip and Hoppers are much faster.

With the HR-44, Directv has finally gotten the speed on par with at the least, the first hopper. Have not tried the HWS.

Again, I think its fair to warn any Dish subs, switching to DTV, that *IF* GUI responsiveness is important to them, they might have some angst. The HR44 may/not render that issue moot. But of course, the new sub would have to be sure they got the 44.. it sounds like DTV will try to play the game of "Genie" == whichever they feel like giving you (34 or 44) for a while. :(

This was never something I thought to check before I switched. The HR34 is certainly usable.. but its JUST sluggish enough to be frequently annoying (IMO). (that and I've just started to be plagued with freezes during playback of DVR material: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-on-playback-of-DVR-material-(ok-after-reset) :( ) Maybe the HR34 will die and I'll end up with an HR44 and will come back singing it's praises (and hope it's lifespan is better than the HR34 I got.. my ViP622 was solid for ~4 years)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)