I want D*, but I'm not sure about the price...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I will be moving to Jacksonville in a few months and would like to get D*. I currently have E* in Orlando, but I am not under contract. The thing turning me away right now is the up front receiver charge. I need an HD DVR and 2 HD Receivers. I will be getting charged $198 up front for the 2 extra receivers, which I am not very happy about. Is there a way to get this fee waived? E* offers 2 leased receivers for $14, which is why I am lenient. I would like the extra channels and ST however.

I will be moving to Jacksonville in a few months and would like to get D*. I currently have E* in Orlando, but I am not under contract. The thing turning me away right now is the up front receiver charge. I need an HD DVR and 2 HD Receivers. I will be getting charged $198 up front for the 2 extra receivers, which I am not very happy about. Is there a way to get this fee waived? E* offers 2 leased receivers for $14, which is why I am lenient. I would like the extra channels and ST however.
If you had signed up before Tuesday this week, you could have got them for $99. I am with Dish and would never have switched if I had not got in on that deal. If I were you, I'd stay with Dish for now and keep watching.

If you had signed up before Tuesday this week, you could have got them for $99. I am with Dish and would never have switched if I had not got in on that deal. If I were you, I'd stay with Dish for now and keep watching.

good advise KAB. the OP can still call and try over the phone to see if he can get a better deal.it's worked for others in the past. if he can't then he should wait as you said.

If I move to Jacksonville and stay with Dish, I'd be under a 2 year contract
are you saying they both used to be $99? Because they are $99 each now.

And I understand the AAA membership saves me $240 or something..is that $10/month for the first 24 months or can I use it to get the receivers? Either way, it seems as that would pay off I guess

My advice, if you want to get D*, is to call and tell them your situation in a nice manner. Tell them what is holding you back, and ask if they can do anything to ease the pain. Many times they will, it all depends on how you ask, and WHO you talk to. You may need to try a few times to get the response that you want. IF they are unwilling to budge on equipment fees, ask them if there are any discounts in the programming that they can give you to help offset some of that. Most times D* has been very willing to work with people when they need to.

And I understand the AAA membership saves me $240 or something..is that $10/month for the first 24 months or can I use it to get the receivers? Either way, it seems as that would pay off I guess
Call the AAA number and have them price it out for you. You don't ever get exact pricing on the forum.
I signed up for AAA just for the discounts. It cast me $20 for year 1 and $52 for the second but the savings eclipse that and I also have roadside assistance if needed.
- $10 a month for 2 years = $240. 2nd HD receiver FREE or HD DVR for $99. I went for the 2 HD DVRs myself. The installer was 15 minutes late so I got a $100 credit on my account to boot.
I will say my hand has formed in the shape of the DISH remote and had all buttons memorized for in bed under cover manuvering. Now I am constantly having to look at what button I am pushing on the D* remote. No regrets yet and my bill is about half with an extra HD DVR for the first year; $13 cheaper the second and $3 cheaper from then on.
DISH is a sinking ship.

yes the AAA discount is for 2 years at $10 off a month besides any other discount that Directv has available.

Call the AAA number and have them price it out for you. You don't ever get exact pricing on the forum.
I signed up for AAA just for the discounts. It cast me $20 for year 1 and $52 for the second but the savings eclipse that and I also have roadside assistance if needed.
- $10 a month for 2 years = $240. 2nd HD receiver FREE or HD DVR for $99. I went for the 2 HD DVRs myself. The installer was 15 minutes late so I got a $100 credit on my account to boot.
I will say my hand has formed in the shape of the DISH remote and had all buttons memorized for in bed under cover manuvering. Now I am constantly having to look at what button I am pushing on the D* remote. No regrets yet and my bill is about half with an extra HD DVR for the first year; $13 cheaper the second and $3 cheaper from then on.
DISH is a sinking ship.
So I can get one of the receivers free with AAA? I am already a member

Yes, HD receiver would be free if that is what you want for your second receiver. Or $99 instead of $199 for a second HD DVR.
I am telling you though calling the number from AAA's website and having them price out exactly what your bill will be the first, second and after years is the only way to really make an informed decision. I had no plans on signing up when I did. I was creating a spreadsheet to compare my bill with DISH to what it would be with Directv. The deal was just too good to wait, so I didn't.
Print out your DISH bill so you can compare apples to apples. Having multiple receivers and or DVRs makes a difference between the two services.
I also got Showtime for the year and some of the others for 3 months; don't know exactly.
I will say that the VOD is light years beyond DISH with tons of FREE crap. I spent the second day I had it filling the hard drive while at work from my pc and my blackberry.

You'll have to call and see what they can do for you, no two are the same when you have a bunch of different deals going on.
Call the AAA one first to see what they can do, IF it sounds good go for it, if not call D* directly and see what they have to offer. Once you find what you want at the price thats closest to what you want, take it, you may NOT be able to call back and get the same offer.

Jimbo

If you time it right, call to sign up with DirecTV in July or August and get in on that yearly Sunday Ticket deal where you get 4 months of the top package for basically free if you buy Sunday Ticket. No guarantee they'll do it again this year but they have every year for a while.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)