IBM Streams HD Video at 3Mbps

No word on the bitrate, resolution, or if HD audio was used in the test. For all we know, it could be about the same quality as what Home - ABC.com is currently offering for viewing episodes of Lost in HD on its Web site. In other words, not enough info to get excited.

For all we know, it could be about the same quality as what Home - ABC.com is currently offering for viewing episodes
of Lost in HD on its Web site. In other words, not enough info to get excited.
We actually know more than that...
Broadcast International Breaks Bandwidth Barrier with First-Ever Demo of Live, HD Video Encoding at 3 Mbps at NAB
IBM Press room - 2007-03-16 Broadcast International to Use Cell Broadband Engine Technology for Cutting-Edge Video Compression - United States
IBM Pitches at New 3 Mbps HD Encoding Technology - Less bandwidth, faster download times and increased concurrent connections - Softpedia

In short it uses
- standard 19.4 MPEG-2 source
- some propriatory encoding technology from Broadcast International
- IBM blade server using Cell chips

How they compress the stream 6.5 times isn't clear but news from NAB floor should be able to shed some light on this...

For the second time in as many days news about breakthrough in video compression (RED camera being the first). Interesting...

Diogen.

I've already stated I want Blu-ray to succeed but they need to open their fracking eyes and get aggressive about pricing, hardware and software, their window of opportunity may not be as large as they believe IMHO.

NightRyder

We actually know more than that...
In short it uses
- standard 19.4 MPEG-2 source
- some propriatory encoding technology from Broadcast International
- IBM blade server using Cell chips

THis isn't bad, but after watching OTA NTSC, which is the specs you've shown vs. HD-DVD, it isn't what I would consider to be a breakthrough for anyone that cares about video quality.

How they compress the stream 6.5 times isn't clear but news from NAB floor should be able to shed some light on this...

Soften the picture and take away fine detail.

For the second time in as many days news about breakthrough in video compression (RED camera being the first). Interesting...

Diogen.

It is interesting, but I pray that this doesn't become the standard.

There is no doubt that one day 'soon' folks will be able to stream HD video into their HPTC for viewing on their HDTVs. But the price, availabilty to the population and the viablity of the product which also includes ownership of downloaded media is still up in the air. As for the 'soon' as Dishnetwork HD viewers have learned recently 'soon' means tomorrow and as everyone knows -- tomorrow is not hear yet.:)

I wish I was more optimistic but the popularity of MP3 crap (convenience over quality) in not encouraging.

NightRyder

There is no doubt that one day 'soon' folks will be able to stream HD video into their HPTC for viewing on their HDTVs. But the price, availabilty to the population and the viablity of the product which also includes ownership of downloaded media is still up in the air. As for the 'soon' as Dishnetwork HD viewers have learned recently 'soon' means tomorrow and as everyone knows -- tomorrow is not hear yet.:)
Here let me try this again. Ownership can be easily achieved in one of two ways.

First and easiest, the user purchases the movie, streams it from the content providers server. No storage required. Most people only watch a movie once anyway. If you want to watch it again it’ll be in your playlist of purchased movies to access whenever you like. You’d be able to login from anywhere and watch your purchased list whenever, and not tied to a PC the login will be from you set top box. Similar to now when I login to HD content on my HD DVD HD- A3.

Second way is have HD movie downloaded and then customer can burn the movie with a device like a DRV with built in burner. The technology is already on the market.
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/newscenter/g1551a.pdf

Since Japan is where a lot of these formats launch and since Japan average broadband speed is over 90MB I wouldn’t be surprised to see this launch very soon.

You guys are all assuming that the government is going to get all the companies to increase the speed of the Internet for the greater good. Whereas the telco lobbies are doing everything in their power to charge you for every single byte transferred through their pipes. It's no coincidence that the US dropped to like 20th place in the world in the last 10 years for Internet speed.

Actually, they're counting on the Magic Fairy to provide almost everyone with super high speed internet over the next year or two.

It's astonishing to read the expectations some people have.

No what’s astonishing is the lengths that BD fanboys will go to undercut alternatives. Keep sticking your heads in the sand. The 3.0 cable modems are there already. Cablecos are in competition with phone companies that are laying fiber into the home currently! Thus no need for the government to step and do any coaxing.

No what’s astonishing is the lengths that BD fanboys will go to undercut alternatives. Keep sticking your heads in the sand. The 3.0 cable modems are there already. Cablecos are in competition with phone companies that are laying fiber into the home currently! Thus no need for the government to step and do any coaxing.

I'm not a BD fanboy. I bought HDDVD in Sept 2006 and only recently got a BD player. The cable companies may be tripping over themselves to lure customers but if you are following what goes on in Congress every 6 months everyone has to jump on them to not let net neutrality be revoked. These wonderful companies are trying to charge to send packets back and forth by what the server company is willing to pay. So, Joe Blow with a crappy Intel 486 acting as a web server has a snowball's chance in hell of competing against packets going to say the NY Times. They just did the same thing to magazine companies. The big publishers like Time etc lobbied Congress and got them to lower what they pay in postage compared to some small niche publication. The result...that little magazine you like so much cant afford to publish because the postage costs would bleed them dry. Meanwhile, TIme gets to push its millions of copies out to you at a CHEAPER postage rate. These guys are not in it to help you out. In the foreign counties the GOVERNMENTS mandate specifications for everything from TV, telephone, postage, cell phones, etc. Why do you think your cell phone (I know they just passed a law)
you paid 200 a few years ago wouldn't work any more when you jumped from Verizon to T-Mobile. DIFFERENT non-interchangeable networks.

Actually, they're counting on the Magic Fairy to provide almost everyone with super high speed internet over the next year or two.

It's astonishing to read the expectations some people have.

Soon someone in congress will figure out the the rural telephone program will work for the internet, and put a $10/internet connection surcharge on everyones buill like the FCC approved line charges on a phone bill. Then this surcharge will be to build out high speed internet to rural locations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts