Ice buildup on LNB - Straw that broke camels back

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
We have been getting dumped with snow. Last night my son is complaining because PBS @ 125w went bye bye.

This morning i checked my TP locks for that dish. I got a lock on 121 and nothing on 125 or 118. So i climb up on the storage container and sure enough, there is snow blockage. So, i shoveled all the snow away and everything looked good. I did notice a piece of ice on the 118w lnb plastic cover. It was froze solid as i could not gently brush it off. I come back inside and i can now lock 125, but i cannot lock 118. So, i took the extension cord and a blow dryer up there and melted the ice piece off thinking (can that piece of ice really block the signal). I walk back inside, and solid lock no issues.

I share this because it was a learning moment for me. The ice was about the the thickness of a worm and the length of about 1/2 inch. I questioned me climbing up there with a blow dryer thinking i was probably wasting my time. I thought either it was a weather moment, or the snow weighted down the coax cables hanging down from the lnbf and pulled it off tune. Nope, wasted thoughts.... Just a little chunk of ice. :rolleyes:

I've also noticed that the lake effect snow does not seem to effect signal AT ALL. Even 30w for me which cuts through more horizontal yields me no signal loss. I can say i only notice this because of my fixed dishes i installed this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titanium
Each fall I apply a good coat of Rain Shield to the LNB feedhorn covers. Sheeting water, snow or ice on the cover of the feedhorn opening will attenuate signal much more than falling rain / snow, cloud cover or accumulation on the reflector.

RainX works well also. Just don't use products like Pam or WD40. Oil based products are like glue for dirt and insects. Bio oils turn rancid.

Reactions: iBoston
I've also noticed that the lake effect snow does not seem to effect signal AT ALL. Even 30w for me which cuts through more horizontal yields me no signal loss. I can say i only notice this because of my fixed dishes i installed this summer.

I don't get lake-effect snow here, but usually storm loss happens from a serious wall of water like a thunderstorm. Anything less usually means it's time to check the alignment :(

Santa, please add Rain Shield to my stocking....

I don't know about Rain Sheld, but RainX recommends applying it when it's warm -- but I've never tried it in the cold. (I've also never wiped it down like they tell you to, just sprayed it on heavy and let it run off...)

Our entire month of December and January, we never see the sun. I wasn't sure how my 36" fixed dishes were going to handle the heavy fog and lake effect snow we get. So far, it appears to have no effect, which is great. But, i will probably have to add shoveling weekly to my chores list.

I remember a few guys in heavy snow areas of the Cascade mountains in the NW who mounted 12V motors with offset weighted flywheels. When it was time to clear snow from the dish, they would move the dish to the horizon and run the shaker! :)

I remember a few guys in heavy snow areas of the Cascade mountains in the NW who mounted 12V motors with offset weighted flywheels. When it was time to clear snow from the dish, they would move the dish to the horizon and run the shaker! :)

That's funny... That's a professional tinker!

There was a consumer BUD shaker sold for a few years. Only saw of them displayed at trade shows. Not sure if many were sold.

I'm sure that they could weaken or destroy a junk dish pretty easily!

A few years ago we had this;
100_0490.JPG
I used this to deal with it;
post-301-12859528379158.jpg
:biggrin:devilish

RainX/Rain Shield might help at times (I've used RainX in the past), but it all depends on the type and amount of snow. Yesterday we had heavy, wet, sticky snow continuously for the whole day (I shovelled four times yesterday, each time shovelling at least 2-3 or more inches). What happens with that type of snow (and little to no wind) is that, besides attaching itself to the dish, it builds up on top of the LNB and on top of the LNB arm and ends up totally covering the LNB all the while forming ice. RainX/Rain Shield will not help at all in those situations.

I have a broom that I attach to a pole, part of my roof (snow) rake, that I use to brush off not only the dish, but, more importantly, the LNB and LNB arm. I can reach all dishes, except one (30W), from the ground, and just let 30W suffer (no way I am getting out a ladder to climb a back roof to get to it!). Still might have signal loss (especially since with that type of snow you can't get the dish totally clean) but it will come back quicker.

Anyhow, get a broom (and extension pole, if needed) and pay special attention to the LNB and LNB arm to prevent as much build-up as possible to avoid ice on the LNB face.

No . . . but I haven't been snowed out, iced out or thunderstormed out since I switched, and I haven't had to go up on the roof either.

Yea, i'd rather keep the money in the bank. Plus, its a means to getting my arse off the couch, and that's always a good thing.

Reactions: olliec420
Unfortunately our deck faces north, not south. And our south-facing front yard also faces tall mature oaks. The roof is really our only option.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)