If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

• Yes - Definitely!!!

Votes: 104 21.5%
  • No - Will use another source for content / downgrade package.

Votes: 322 66.7%
  • Maybe - just not sure

Votes: 57 11.8%

• Total voters
I recorded "The Killing" last night and watched it this morning. It was very good. Nice story line, excellent PQ, and actors I recognized. The 2 part season ender begins next Sunday. It's worth buying the DVD when it comes out. I always watch "The walking Dead" and I wish I would have checked out "The Killing" earlier. I have tried to watch "Mad Men" but not my cup of tea. For those that don't watch AMC you should record the 2 part season ending episodes of "The Killing" and check them out. It's kind of a cop/political/mystery type of show.

D* will be here tomorrow to install. I'm actually pretty excited since I'm a big sports fan. My wife and I pretty much watch all the major shows on AMC so this move wasn't a hard decision.

D* will be here tomorrow to install. I'm actually pretty excited since I'm a big sports fan. My wife and I pretty much watch all the major shows on AMC so this move wasn't a hard decision.

Great choice and Good Luck :)

True. A loss of 1.4 million subs, and the corresponding 10% loss in revenue won't mean anything.
We (or at least I) were talking about the % of the Dish Facebook page.

Last edited:
We were talking about the % of the Dish Facebook page, Gary.
If you were replying to riffjim, which you were, he was referring to the number of poll respondants who said they would terminate service. So, silly me, I assumed you were talking about the same thing.

If you were referring to something entirely different, such as the FB page, you shouldn't have posted your comment as a reply to riffjim's comment about the thread poll.

So, what is it about the FB page that you feel is 10%? I'm not clear on that from your post.

If you were replying to riffjim, which you were, he was referring to the number of poll respondants who said they would terminate service. So, silly me, I assumed you were talking about the same thing.
Well, yes, wrong phrasing on my part...was referring to the poll...which was not 14 million people. which you applied 10% to. So, let's agree to be both in error, OK?

Well, yes, wrong phrasing on my part...was referring to the poll...which was not 14 million people. which you applied 10% to. So, let's agree to be both in error, OK?
I would if I was in error. But, I wasn't.

Your comment of "Which in actuality will result in approximately 10% or less", certainly seems like you were referring to the actual number of Dish subs who would drop. I'm not the only one who took it to mean that, based on others' responses to it.

Where do you get 10% from then? The "definite" and "maybe" respondents add up to 30%. It's simple math.

Riffjim said, "More than 30% now say they may or will terminate service should Dish permanently drop the AMC channels." Now why would I assume he was not talking about the 369 poll participants. My comment/prediction was that only 10% of those poll participants would probably leave. Unlike you appear to believe, I do not consider the poll and it's percentages to be a barometer for the actions of the the entire Dish sub base.

Riffjim said, "More than 30% now say they may or will terminate service should Dish permanently drop the AMC channels." Now why would I assume he was not talking about the 369 poll participants.
I have no idea. YOU were the one who brought up the FB page. I always assumed you were talking about the poll.

My comment/prediction was that only 10% of those poll participants would probably leave. Unlike you appear to believe, I do not consider the poll and it's percentages to be a barometer for the actions of the the entire Dish sub base.
I don't have any idea how many actual subs will leave, if any. I was responding to your 10% comment, which, again, appeared to a number of people to mean actual subs, not just poll respondents.

Now that your 10% response is clear in its meaning, I think you may be under-estimating. My guess would be more like 12-15% of the respondents will leave. Remember 19% say definitely, and another 12% say maybe. If only half of the definites do it, that brings it to 9.5%. One would assume that some of the maybes will do it, too.

As for the general Dish sub base, I'd say there is a distinct possibility they may lose 10%. Although, it will most likely be less. But, even if they lose only 5%, that is a lot of subs and a lot of revenue to pay for what is obviously not a purely business decision like the type usually associated with normal contract renewal negotiations.

This is, at best, leverage for the Voom case, or at worst, childish, vindictive behavior related to the Voom case. And, instead of just losing whatever dollar amount they are going to lose in the court case, they will now lose standard operating revenue on top of it. And, let's not forget fewer new subs, as well. Nope. Not a good business decision, at all.

I have no idea. YOU were the one who brought up the FB page. I always assumed you were talking about the poll.

I don't have any idea how many actual subs will leave, if any. I was responding to your 10% comment, which, again, appeared to a number of people to mean actual subs, not just poll respondents.

Now that your 10% response is clear in its meaning, I think you may be under-estimating. My guess would be more like 12-15% of the respondents will leave. Remember 19% say definitely, and another 12% say maybe. If only half of the definites do it, that brings it to 9.5%. One would assume that some of the maybes will do it, too.

As for the general Dish sub base, I'd say there is a distinct possibility they may lose 10%. Although, it will most likely be less. But, even if they lose only 5%, that is a lot of subs and a lot of revenue to pay for what is obviously not a purely business decision like the type usually associated with normal contract renewal negotiations.

This is, at best, leverage for the Voom case, or at worst, childish, vindictive behavior related to the Voom case. And, instead of just losing whatever dollar amount they are going to lose in the court case, they will now lose standard operating revenue on top of it. And, let's not forget fewer new subs, as well. Nope. Not a good business decision, at all.

The fact that dish moved amc on Sunday shows its emotional not a business decision when do they ever move channels on Sunday night? I think dish will not find much support for dropping Amc

The fact that dish moved amc on Sunday shows its emotional not a business decision when do they ever move channels on Sunday night? I think dish will not find much support for dropping Amc
Yes. It almost seems like it was a direct response to the "Keep AMC" ads and crawls that AMC aired during Mad Men Sunday night.

I can imagine Charlie calling up his COO upon seeing it, and demanding they do something immediately to punish AMC for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts