If I hook ethernet up I lose "Whole House DVR"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Milton187

Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
United States
When I hook up an ethernet cable direct from a router to the DTV DVR I lose
the "Whole House DVR".

Do I have to purchase their "Internet Connectivity Kit"?

Thanks in advance,

Milty

Connecting an eth. line to your DVR will disable MRV in a DTV supported setup. (Broadband Deca installed). Usually restoring it requires jumping through a couple of hoops. 1st remove that ethernet cable from the DVR then unplug from from the wall or from the back of the receivers the 110 volt power, starting with DVR then other receivers in any order. After a few minutes plug DVR back in, letting it come all the way back up til a picture is veiwed. Through menu (Whole Home) insure that it is set up to still share playlist and location has remained as set up. Whole home should still say authorized. Bring the other receivers up completely, one at a time, insuring their locations have remained intact.....at that point each receiver as you bring it up should "see" the DVR. ONE at a time. Sometimes necessary to restore default settings on DVR but usually not. You should be back in business. Tech should have cautioned you against hooking up an ethernet cable to your receivers.

Yes you will need the Internet kit. Get a broadband deca unit or the receiver deca with it's power supply

Depending in where you are located u could give you one

"need" ?? just sayin; I have never had a internet kit and my MRV and everything works perfectly

I'm guessing you have it all hardwired via ethernet, and you are not using DECA. You have to have an external DECA adapter and power supply (the broadband deca) connected to a router to add internet to MRV. If the ethernet jack is used on any of the 24 series receivers, it disables the internal deca in the box.

Thus my very 1st question of what does the OP have; he never states so no one really knows what he "needs" to do or doesn't need to do; only guessing. It seems better to have all the info & facts before dolling out scattershot resolutions IMHO. Throwing multiple random ideas and thoughts only serves to confuse a user even more until they know what they have and what they are dealing with.

OP said he plugged his internet into the back of his receiver. Since he does not mention a stand-alone DECA, I assume he has an HR24 with the internal DECA. That shuts down the internal DECA which in turn shuts down his MRV. Yes, he needs the cinema connection kit. There is a new one that will connect to your wireless network for about the same cost as the wired model. He should look into both. Using the white one with a separate power supply really costs a lot more. Good luck Milty.

When I hook up an ethernet cable direct from a router to the DTV DVR I lose
the "Whole House DVR".

Do I have to purchase their "Internet Connectivity Kit"?

Thanks in advance,

Milty

If you are a new customer as in just installed, then you should get it free. I say this because Directv messed up when they installed my system this past Monday. I called them the following day and they said the tech should have installed that kit and they would now send a tech out and install it free of charge. Also, like somebody else already stated it depends on what receiver you got.

Hi Guys,

I've been gone. Just got back.
It is a new install. I will call DTV and see if they will give me one.
It is a wired ethernet. I did a reset and got the "Whole House DVR" back. But I really liked the "T.V. Apps" that were available with ethernet. HR24 is the model.

I will post results after the DTV call.

Thanks for the help!

Milty

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)