If you had to pick three birds...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jholt5638

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2017
Toledo, Ohio USA
what would they be? Where my dishes are at I have the arc from 129W to 72W. In that range what birds would you pick with the following limits
  • Ku band only
  • The dishes used are Dtv Slimlines, One with dual LNBs and the other a single
  • Two of the bird must be no further than 20 degrees apart

103w, 121w, and 125w are my three favorites. I rarely use any than those three satellites. NBC is on 103w, Velocity is on 121w and many PBS channels on 125w. 103 and 125 might not get much signal with a slimline dish.

103w, 121w, and 125w are my three favorites. I rarely use any than those three satellites. NBC is on 103w, Velocity is on 121w and many PBS channels on 125w. 103 and 125 might not get much signal with a slimline dish.

Right now I'm setup on 103W & 95W on one dish, and 87W or 91W or 97W depending on the time of day.

I'm torn on the second dish because 91W lately has been pretty busy during the day but after about 1PM EDT not so much. 97W I always find something interesting to watch even if I can't understand the language ( though I think I am beginning learn the languages the more I expose myself to them) and at late night LPB manages to come in on 87W for a few hours. and I'll swing over to 121W occasionally

I think I need to motorize and/or add more LNB's and/or another dish. Optimally I'd like to motorize the second dish but I'm not sure if a HH120 can move the slimline it is rather heavy. If a motor is out then I have couple of options I am kicking around the first being
Dish #1
103W & 95W

Dish #2
97W & 91W & 87W

Dish #3
121W
The second is

Dish #1
103W, 95W, 91W, 87W

Dish #2
97W

Dish #3
121W

What I would do just get another slimline so you can have another dish to play with. I rather have it on 97w than have it on at 91w. I go for programming than wild feeds.

Like phlatwound stated a motor would have no trouble with a Slimline, the issue is, it is not worth all the modifications to make it work on a motor type setup.

Have you tried 125W with a slimline? I did years ago before they went all DVB-S2. Not sure how it does now. What I am getting at is you would like 125W over 87W for PBS. The signal is more stable*, it is 24/7 and you have more channels.

*By stable I mean if your dish will pick it up properly. 87W the signal varies.

Reactions: phlatwound
What I would do just get another slimline so you can have another dish to play with. I rather have it on 97w than have it on at 91w. I go for programming than wild feeds.

Late yesterday I was given another Slimline, just waiting for Friday to get another couple lnbs, mounts, and replace my 4x1 switch with a 8x1.
Running out of room on the ground maybe work in a fourth if I zip tie one to bottom of the pole. Seriously considering moving them to the roof but I want to get it planned out and tested so I don't have to make multiple trips up there

Like phlatwound stated a motor would have no trouble with a Slimline, the issue is, it is not worth all the modifications to make it work on a motor type setup.

Have you tried 125W with a slimline? I did years ago before they went all DVB-S2. Not sure how it does now. What I am getting at is you would like 125W over 87W for PBS. The signal is more stable*, it is 24/7 and you have more channels.

The 87W PBS only seems to come in during the late night about Midnight or so and sticks around till about 3am EDT.

[Tangent]Reminds me of my CB phase and catching skip or in the analog OTA days where I would pick up stations out of Detroit and Cleveland at night on my little B/W Philco TV. Is that a thing with a digital satellite signal? I ask because the way my great uncle explained (retired Navy radioman and HAM operator) it was the signal bouncing off the ionosphere and back down.[/Tangent]

125W I don't even get a blip on my STB or Finder maybe that will change going up roughly 40ft.

I have yet to pick up anything other then Montana pbs with a slimline dish. I have been told with a lot of patience you can pick up everything on 125 with a modded huges net dish but i only have one and its already pointed where its pointed since i picked up that free 1m dish.

Back to what the OP's question I happen to almost have what hes talking about (except i have a modded hughes net dish and a 1 m hughes net dish instead of slimlines) I use my setup to get 97w and 103w on the hughesnet dish and 125w on the 1m dish. Closest i have been able to get my spacing to work out with the items i have available is 6 degrees on multi setups, however if i somehow could trim that down to 4 degrees id add a second lnbf to the 1m and pick up velocity. Now im kicking the idea around of trying for 30 west, with the exception id probably only get it in the fall winter and early spring as there is really only one area of my house i might be able to get it, but that would be a 3rd dish.

I have yet to pick up anything other then Montana pbs with a slimline dish. I have been told with a lot of patience you can pick up everything on 125 with a modded huges net dish but i only have one and its already pointed where its pointed since i picked up that free 1m dish.
Yeah, that is about what I figured. I have not tried a small or undersized dish on that bird in a long while. I have a dedicated 1.2 just for 125W. That bird is the most watched in this house.

I have cable TV, so most of the time my dish is parked on Galaxy 16 (99W) for news feeds. Have recently watched coverage of the hurricanes, St. Louis riots, and Mexico earthquake.

... I wonder which bird will cover the Korean War II when it breaks out?

I have cable TV, so most of the time my dish is parked on Galaxy 16 (99W) for news feeds. Have recently watched coverage of the hurricanes, St. Louis riots, and Mexico earthquake.

... I wonder which bird will cover the Korean War II when it breaks out?
91, 99, 121 (KBS)

I've never actually checked 99 for feeds. I always seem to just get the Jewish news channel and some Russian radio.

91, 99, 121 (KBS)

I've never actually checked 99 for feeds. I always seem to just get the Jewish news channel and some Russian radio.
I am using my 8 1/2 foot Birdview for 99W KU band news feeds. I also have a 1.2 meter Geosat Pro dish that is sitting idle. I will give it a try this week and see if it can get the same stations as the Birdview.

Besides the Jewish channel and the Russian radio, I usually get anywhere from 1 to 8 active feeds. When they are inactive, some feeds just show a static image of the White House, Capital, or Times Square.

Part of the interest of feed hunting for me is when I see one and try to figure out where it is and what is going on. For example, right now I am seeing an aerial view of multiple Fire Trucks, ambulances, a yellow taped off area and a bunch of people standing around (no audio on this one).
As for 91 and 121, I am unable to get news feeds off of those.

Besides the Jewish channel and the Russian radio, I usually get anywhere from 1 to 8 active feeds. When they are inactive, some feeds just show a static image of the White House, Capital, or Times Square.
I'm a bit surprised by this... I don't remember ever seeing anything other than the Jewish channel (JBS) and the Russian radio channels (that actually transmit as TV channels with the same video PID with a slide that reads RADIO in Russian). But those feeds that you describe, the static pic of the White House or the Capitol, sound very much like the CNN Newssource stuff on 87W, doesn't it?

Could it be that they are much lower power than the JBS/Russian radio mux, and not so easy to receive?

I'm a bit surprised by this... I don't remember ever seeing anything other than the Jewish channel (JBS) and the Russian radio channels (that actually transmit as TV channels with the same video PID with a slide that reads RADIO in Russian). But those feeds that you describe, the static pic of the White House or the Capitol, sound very much like the CNN Newssource stuff on 87W, doesn't it?

Could it be that they are much lower power than the JBS/Russian radio mux, and not so easy to receive?
I think they are either lower power or they have a very narrow beam. Probably takes a big dish to receive them.

If people here were getting all the 99W KU feeds, I think there would be a lot more discussion here of some of the stuff they show. For example, during the recent riots they usually have a helicopter overhead and another feed with someone in the crowd walking along with the protest carrying a camera discretely.

Anyway, will see if I can bring them in on my 1.2 meter dish.

There are 4 news feeds (totaling 5 channels of video) active 24/7 at 99°W. But, yes, they are weaker in power than the JBS/Russian radio mux, not to mention they also use 8PSK modulation. You really need a 1.2 m or larger dish to reliably receive them, but that's true of many news feeds these days.

Here in New Mexico I am abled to get G-16 bird on some raw news feeds mostly CBS and FOX right after the Russian feeds but remember they use tight spot beam...:)

Be safe the world is going crazy thanks to the little fat boy from NK we waste our time since the 1950's KW1 now we are heading tp KW2 or worse!:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)