If you woulda told me a year ago...

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Let's try this. There are things you can count on in sports, and things that blow you away. Seems to me there have been a lot of 'blown away' moments this year.

So let's take calendar year 2011 and say if you woulda told me this a year ago, I woulda bet a large amount of money against it.

1. Jim Tressel out, and Urban Meyer in at Ohio State.

2. Terry Francona out and Bobby Valentine in in Boston.

3. Joe Paterno fired in disgrace, and every day you hear his name being removed from something because people don't want to be associated with him anymore.

4. The New York Rangers having the best record in the NHL. It's kinda early, and this one just may change as soon as tomorrow, but still...

5. Indianapolis Colts 0-11.

6. Andrew Luck not being a prohibitive favorite for this year's Heisman.

7. The insane last day and last moments of the 2011 baseball regular season. If people had taken that script to Hollywood on January 1, 2011, any director who knows baseball would have laughed in their face.

8. The Philadelphis Phillies flame out and don't even make it to the NLCS. Perhaps not on January 1, but when Cliff Lee was signed just about everybody put them right into the World Series.

Not putting this out there so people can judge my list...it's my list, that's all. If you had a feeling on January 1 that Bobby Valentine would be managing the Red Sox by Christmas...more power to ya. I don't remember reading it in here, though...;)

So, what am I missing? What knocked your socks off so far in 2011?

Sandra

1. The Bruins winning the Stanley Cup :)

2. The Patriots losing at home to the Jets in the second round of the playoffs, five weeks after beating them 45-3 on MNF

3. Jacoby Ellsbury putting up a season for the ages after missing over 100 games last year

I'm sick about this Francona-Valentine thing

1. The Bruins winning the Stanley Cup :)

2. The Patriots losing at home to the Jets in the second round of the playoffs, five weeks after beating them 45-3 on MNF

3. Jacoby Ellsbury putting up a season for the ages after missing over 100 games last year

I'm sick about this Francona-Valentine thing

Wow...good ones Bill! I probably should have added that Jets thing too...did not see that coming! And I don't see it coming back this year either...

Sandra

Justin Verlander would win the Cy Young AND the MVP.

Cy Young is always possible, but till this year he never got the pub to do it, alot of that has to do with the media.

1. That the Florida gators would be 1 loss away from going .500 for the season.

2. That Fruman (a school I didnt even know the name of until this year) would of scored more then 30 points against the gators at home and ALMOST beat them!

So, what am I missing? What knocked your socks off so far in 2011?

I think you covered it very well. I could only add:

College sports realigns such that Nebraska joins the eastern midwest's Big 10, TAMU and Mizzou leave the southwest/western midwest's Big 12 for the SEC, Colorado and Utah (both in the Rockies, Boulder,Colorado being in the Great Mississippi Valley and thus, geographically, an "Atlantic" state, joining the Pac 10; Pittsburgh and Syracuse finally get admitted to the ACC, and WVU joins the Big 12, nearest rival 1134 miles away.

That the Lions started the season 5-0 and have a chance of making the playoffs. Sorry had to mention it.:)

Or that the Broncos have a real chance of making the playoffs. I would have never expected it. Ever. And I love the Broncos. :) And if the Teabowing thing has something to do with it, I guess it just proves that God is a Broncos fan. ;) :D

I predicted that the Red Sox wouldn't be good this year (check my history). The Red Sox need to get back to what helped them win the World Series in 2004.

I predicted that the Red Sox wouldn't be good this year (check my history). The Red Sox need to get back to what helped them win the World Series in 2004.

Torre not allowing runners to steal, even though Mirabelli couldn't control Wakefield's knuckler.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)