I'll take "Name that satellite" for $500 please! HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Ok, at my new house I finally put up an old fixed 3ABN 39" KU dish with a Geosatpro SL2pll Standard Ku dual lnb. I haven't done this up to now, because with the tree cover, I never figured I could get anything, so just didn't bother trying till now. So, I installed this dish on a eve mount, and it's 20~ft above ground level. That helps clearing the close 85ft or so trees.

Anyway, on my old MicroHD receiver, I was trying to aim for 97W (figured this would be easy, and I'd go from there), and set the elevation to 38 degrees, 12.9 ~ skew and more or less pointed towards ~205magnetic.

I then set the menu, and did a standard blind scan. Here's the channels I scanned in, and darn if I can figure out what sat this REALLY is! Do you know? What happened to "The List", as I can't find it here anymore...

1: Interface (playing basketball right now, upper left of screen has MSG logo) 11961/13000
2: $HSTDv (12074/20000)
3: $SHOP 1 (12074/20000) Etc right down the list...
4: $CPACF
5: $CTV2L
6: $OMNPR
7: $CTV-L
8: $CKSA
9: $SHOP 2
10: $RCVu0
11: $VU22
12: $SNWL
13: $CTVNC
14: $CPAC
15: $TLC
16: $HIST
17: $MTV
18: $SHOP 3
19: $CMDYG
20: $SHOP

Last edited:
that stuff looks like what you would find on one of the Canadian satellites (91W) for Bell TV... The content matches what Lyngsat lists for 12224 R 20000 on 91W, so you're off by 150 MHz. Did you set your LNB local oscillator frequency in the receiver to 10600 instead of 10750?

the basketball stuff is probably a feed on Galaxy 17 @91W

so, once you check and adjust the LNB setting inthe receiver, move the dish a bit to the west and adjust the elevation very slightly up or down depending on your location. You should find 95W with the CCTV/CGTN transponder, it's powerful and easy to get. Then move a notch further west and you'll find 97W.

Reactions: primestar31
I was thinking 91w too, but I have never picked up Circular channels on a linear LNBF @91w, so I was second guessing.

that stuff looks like what you would find on one of the Canadian satellites (91W) for Bell TV... The content matches what Lyngsat lists for 12224 R 20000 on 91W, so you're off by 150 MHz. Did you set your LNB local oscillator frequency in the receiver to 10600 instead of 10750?

the basketball stuff is probably a feed on Galaxy 17 @91W

so, once you check and adjust the LNB setting inthe receiver, move the dish a bit to the west and adjust the elevation very slightly up or down depending on your location. You should find 95W with the CCTV/CGTN transponder, it's powerful and easy to get. Then move a notch further west and you'll find 97W.

I think you nailed it, thanks!. I did set my lnb for 10750, but after your comment, I went back and checked it, and darned if it wasn't somehow changed to 10600! Beats me, must have happened when I exited that part of the menu, but who knows.

Ok, I suspected 91W myself, but the frequencies threw me off. Now we know why with the bogus LNB LO frequency.

Reactions: Brct203
I was thinking 91w too, but I have never picked up Circular channels on a linear LNBF @91w, so I was second guessing.
Same here, i'm a bit surprised too, as I ever saw those channels only when I used a circular LNBF. (I do get some transponders on 110W though, with a linear LNBF).

Same here, i'm a bit surprised too, as I ever saw those channels only when I used a circular LNBF. (I do get some transponders on 110W though, with a linear LNBF).

Guess what? Those circular channels do NOT scan in when the LO is set to the regular 10750! Only when it's set to 10600...

Maybe with that hint, you guys have something new to play with!

p.s., I went back on the roof, marked where the dish was at 91W, then spun the dish slightly West, and now have 95W with CCTV booming in. Imagine how things could be tomorrow, when I take my receiver with monitor up to the dish on the roof, and REALLY tweak this in!

If you look at the default IF range Blind Scan logging on the micro HD between Universal and Standard LNB settings, you will understand why the 10600 LO logs additional transponders. 12.2GHz (1450 IF) is the typical highest NA frequency range of a Standard type linear 10750 LO LNBF.

Set the LO low frequency to 950 and the high LO frequency to 2150 (typical DVBS tuner range) and the 10750 LO setting will log transponders in the KU high band range (if the LNB frequency filtering allows).

Purposefully programmed the microHD to log only transponders in the target frequency range fr the LNB type and LO selected.

Math: 10750 + 950 = 11.700MHz / 10750 + 2150 = 12,900 (above typical KU DBS/DSS frequency range used in North America).

97W is a no go, as it appears a twisted branch at the top of the tree may be blocking it. I decided to swing over to the south-east, and I now have 87w Ses2 KU locked in.

That's it for the night. Now that I proved I can get SOME sats at this new house, I'll go from there to tweak it out as best I can.

Thanks guys! Amazing how fast you lose this info in the last few years of moving to a house with badly blocked sat arc, so not playing with it all the time.

Last edited:
Get mr wood chipper out for that tree problem.

I wish, but they are a neighbors tree's.

I still have an "in the box" Winegard DS-3100 dish I bought in July 2012 and ended up never using. I can unbox that and put up. It's larger, and has better adjustments than this 3ABN dish I have up right now. That should work better.

Hummm, I just remembered I also have a DG-380 DisEqc motor from Sadoun never used, and still in the box also... I might just have to really go all-out on this setup...

Last edited:
Reactions: Brct203
Since they are neighbors trees a laser or termites can be your best friends.

Then, they attack your house . I had a problem with carpenter ants two years ago and I had to replace my whole porch.
IMG_0239.JPG

I wish, but they are a neighbors tree's.

I still have an "in the box" Winegard DS-3100 dish I bought in July 2012 and ended up never using. I can unbox that and put up. It's larger, and has better adjustments than this 3ABN dish I have up right now. That should work better.

Hummm, I just remembered I also have a DG-380 DisEqc motor from Sadoun never used, and still in the box also... I might just have to really go all-out on this setup...

I'm about to put up the Winegard DS3100 dish for the first time. I was wondering exactly WHERE the Elevation degree setting is measured from?

It says in the specs that elevation goes from "0 to 90 degrees". However, to do that it would seem that the approximate centerline of the top bolt at the elevation scale is where/what they are matching to the elevation scale numbers for the exact degree setting you want. If you do it from the straight edge of the inner bracket (like on other dishes), it's not possible to go lower than about 20 degrees.

Anybody know for sure?

By the way, if anybody is willing to make the drive to the mid-Michigan area, and has a spare Geosatpro (I'd prefer) or other METAL 1.2m offset dish they don't want anymore, I'll trade them straight up for my Prodelin 6ft (1.8m) composite offset dish I can't use at this house. This dish is HEAVY (probably 150~lbs at least, not including the mount which is more!), and you might need a box truck, or a minimum of a 4ft X 8ft trailer with good ropes to tie it down to haul it. The dish and mount are separated right now, which makes it easier to haul. It probably could be strapped to the bed of a full sized pickup truck, IF you have some rubber mats or thick cardboard to protect things.

Ok, on this photo from my old house from LEFT to RIGHT for size comparison, we have two Dish 500's, next is a Prodelin 1.2m composite, then the Prodelin 1.8m composite I'm willing to trade off, then a Perfect Ten 10ft c-band dish.

T4m5JOa.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MosFET77 and raydio
I have several dishes down here prime are you needing dish for a motor prime?

Dan, I'm looking specifically for a METAL 1.2 meter dish, as they are lighter weight to put on a HH motor. Which would work much better for me in my present subdivision. I think all those dishes you have stashed are the heavier composite or fiberglass, correct?

I got my NOS Winegard DS-3100 1 meter dish installed on a new 7ft pole in the front yard, and on a NOS Sadoun DG-380 HH motor. I have it setup for KU only at the moment on my old MicroHD receiver, and just found out I can actually drive it all the way down to 30W on USALS, and scan in channels! Elevation here is only 16.6 degrees, but I have the pole set so it just barely clears a neighbors tree to the right 214 feet away. I'm going to setup a recording for a couple movies tonight, and see what happens. The farthest West sat I seem to be able to get is 113W Eutelsat 113, before the extremely tall trees that way cut me off due to the elevation. I really didn't want to have a pole taller than 7ft.

I also have a new Amiko MiniHD265 receiver I have yet to install in place of the MicroHD, and see how that one works.

Reactions: raydio
Status
Please reply by conversation.