I'm back, and ready to... shop!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ice, do you have the WD MyBook drive? I've got a few of these around, would be good to use them as DVR drives. The internal USB chipset is always what determines what they work well with.

Ok, I haven't received the items I ordered yet, so don't consider this an official endorsement! Stay tuned for the end results! However, since I've had multiple PM's asking me, here's my sources and experiences thus far:

The 36" dish I ordered (obviously) from 3ABN. Others have given some feedback about how long it takes to receive, what the quality is like, etc, so I don't think I have to say anything else. $50 for a 90cm dish, shipped? SWEET :D

The Visionsat IV200 PVR Plus I got off eBay. The seller was satbusters, who have 99% feedback. I have nothing much to say about them until I receive the receiver, except that they shipped promptly via UPS Ground and is due to arrive the 16th.

The DMS SG2100 motor, Invacom QPH-031 LNBF, DMS Diseqc 4x1 switch all came from a single eBay seller: kj189. I know some of you have mixed feelings or are hesitant about purchasing through eBay, so here's my take. I myself am an eBay Power Seller. If you buy carefully and do your homework, 99.9% of the time (IMHO) you won't have any problem there. The seller I bought from appeared very customer-oriented. He has a 99.8% feedback rating, and some DIRT cheap prices on what I needed. Plus, here's a tidbit that may help you when ordering...

I asked kj189 if he would combine shipping on the items I was planning on purchasing. Being an FTA-addict idiot, I didn't check my email before purchasing everything a few hours later. He had written back indicating the positive, asking what I needed. Whoops. So I replied and said I had already ordered and paid for everything, so I guess it was too late. He responded saying they could include some free stuff (splitters or whatever from his store) in my order, just "please reply soon because we ship daily." :eek:

After browsing his store, I picked out three smallish items I could use and listed that any of those would be fine, whichever was up to him and thanks. His reply stated that all the items I listed would be included with my order; and as he advertises, it was shipped that day (within 24 hours of payment). I'm very impressed by the experience thus far. All items were shipped together from Texas via FedEx (I was supplied the tracking number automatically) and is due to arrive here on the 15th... less than a week from when I ordered :)

I've included no direct linking because I'm not sure what is allowed. I'm sure you can find everything by what I've described. Sorry I couldn't get to anyone's PM's, I've been camping all weekend and only just got home tonight. Hope this helps you all!

CharredPC - I've bought from kj189 in the past (same products as you!) and everything came very quickly with no problems or concerns about the product, price, or communication.

Thanks CharredPC!

Being one of those who had pm'd I appreciate the info! After PM'ing you I also found the same EBay store, though I've yet to hear back from KJ189 on a similar request to bundle items for shipping. I'll drop him another note now that it is a regular business day in hopes to hear back from him. Sounds and looks like he's a stand up dealer.

Thanks again for peaking all our interest in getting some cool items at great prices.

Z

Ice, do you have the WD MyBook drive? I've got a few of these around, would be good to use them as DVR drives. The internal USB chipset is always what determines what they work well with.

sorry didnt get back sooner :)

yes its a MyBook. Got a 320GB one at Best Buy for $100

8188114_ra.jpg

Ok, I got the box from eBay's kj189 a few hours ago (yay!). I snapped some shots of the packing job and contents, but am currently on my laptop (no image resizing program installed). Suffice it to say it was pretty well packed, and I got a nice surprise- instead of just the three items I had suggested to make up for combined shipping, I got:

- Two flat RG6 coaxial cables (for running lines through closed windows)
- Eagle Aspen P-2140-4-GX (4 way splitter with one port passing power)
- An AB-15 JVI Coaxial A/B Switch
- Eagle Aspen P-1000-4AP-GX (4 way splitter, all ports power passing)
- Two Stereo 3.5 MM A/V Y Cable 3.5MM to 2 Dual RCA Female Adapters
- A Coaxial cable stripper tool
- A Surgender Inline Coaxial Protector (protects equipment from surges)

Needless to say, I'm very happy with my purchase! I'm not sure when I'll use all those extra bits, but it'll sure be sweet to have them (for free, even!) when I do need them :D One third of the way there, and I should get my receiver tomorrow!

Bugger it! I found a spot for mounting my new setup on the roof, and looked around at my LOS. For some reason I was thinking backwards before, and thought the large tree in the yard wouldn't interfere with much. Wrong... my best view is to the west, which is unfortunate because there's nothing much of interest to me past 129.0°W. With my last setup years back, I was able to see east to 61.0°W. Granted, now I have a standard, not universal LNB so that may be useless, but I loved the concept of being able to hit an Atlantic bird. Now I'm wondering if AMC6 or even AMC will be on the menu :( The FTA-er's creed rings true- "I HATE TREES!"

Yes, it is on my property, so in theory I could do something about it. I'm just hesitant to because it's 1) Old 2) Big 3) In a really horrible spot. It's aesthetically pleasing and gives shade, too (the wife delicately mentioned)... not to mention there's an HOA here. *sigh* Oh well, I won't know the real limits until the new dish arrives. Before mounting or motorizing it I plan on doing some quick scanning to verify LOS from the chosen planting location. Anyone in the Utah are have an invisible Ham tower to donate? :rolleyes:

Apartment Living

This thread is great! I have no idea about the technical stuff or the products you are bandying about, but I can see "CharredPC's" joy at being back in a house.

My fiance wants to move to a house or condo.:mad: And, I just started with FTA (MPEG). :) I have had 4dTV and a BUD and Directv for sometime, but I sure am enjoying FTA. (A coolsat 8000 Hd and a Traxis DBS 3500 for blindscanning.

My plan is to remodel the house (and live in an apartment until then:(). This makes econimic sense in Florida (re: tax consequences of a new home) and I agree with the reference to apartment living as "Apartment Hell." ;)

My advice: keep the tree; keep the wife happy.:eureka

PS; I saw a thread that vthere is a CW HD FTA location. Whatare those coordinates?

My advice: keep the tree; keep the wife happy.:eureka

She's actually more than supportive about my FTA hobby- she said I should get a BUD! And I would, if I had a good LOS spot to put it.

A few other things: I'm debating on modifying my new receiver! If I can scrounge up the funds to purchase one, I want to install an 80GB or 120GB USB laptop drive inside it. It would run off USB power and might be small enough to mount in there. Until I have it open, I won't know if it's possible. I also don't want to disable the front USB, so I'll have to split it (with a mini-hub, perhaps) or look on the board for a second connector spot. Just random ideas, but it would be awesome if it worked, huh?

You are Very Lucky!

Then, get the BUD! Make the wife happy! I love the HD picture on the HD channels I receive through the BUD Even if there are just a few of them now). And, you can get all the FTA satellites with it.

As for your technical questions, I defer to the experts.

Last edited:
After a lot of delays due to work, family, etc, today is the day! I'm mounting the new motor and dish this afternoon or I'll die trying! :D Hopefully it won't come to that...

I grabbed the attached aerial photo to give you an idea of my location. Curse the evil tree! All my neighbors seem to have a good wide southern view, it's just me with Big Shady clogging up the eastern side. Have they made lasers yet that can chop branches off 12-14 feet overhead? I want one!

I tried to indicate the only viable mounting spot I could find- the extreme front left (southwest) corner of the roof. The tree is tall enough that mounting at the rear of the house would only block more of the sky, I think. And the space just to the left of the arrow's tip is our cement driveway, unfortunately, not yard... so I can't get in front of the tree. Hrrm, maybe if I install a sturdy structure there in the future, I can mount off of that? "Hey, honey, your car is covered in leaves/snow/whatever again! How about I put in a carport for you?" :eureka

Maybe I'll take some quick pictures while on the roof from different locations. I wish I weren't such a bad judge these days of how high / what angle the arc is. I remember when I could look at a dish and more often than not predict what bird it was pointing to! Now we'll see if I even remember how to set up a motor. Oh, and does the 3ABN dish come with screws for installing the mount? All I have are smaller wood screws, which might be fine for a stationary pizza dish, but not for a motorized 90cm.

Attachments

• myview.jpg
    myview.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 117
hmmm...

You're further south than I am so your elevation should be pretty steep at TS. I bet that SW corner would work out though. It doesn't look like you have much back yard to do a pole mount like I did shooting over the house.

Attachments

• szdishes.gif
    szdishes.gif
    263.5 KB · Views: 199
Oh, and does the 3ABN dish come with screws for installing the mount?
No.
Mine came with something that looks like you might put it into masonry .
They are self-expanding fasteners.
Totally useless to me.
Of course, if you want to put it on a brick wall, you're all set.

But the good news is , a handfull of lag-bolts will cost you a buck at the local hardware store.
I like two or three inch long ones (or more), but depends on what you are doing.
For a motor with a 36" wind-sail, get real serious. :)

I think I found a better spot for mounting! It'll take a little work (cutting down some smaller trees) and it won't give me a clear southeastern view, but it'll gain me at least 10-15 degrees more :D Right in front of the driveway is a new wooden shed. It's set back slightly, of course, but still looks to be a better angle than a few feet away from the tree. I'm off to the hardware store to buy some goodies to accomplish this... I have the dish and mount put together (inside)- great looking setup! Just hope my elevation/declination settings are accurate enough ;)

hmmm...

You're further south than I am so your elevation should be pretty steep at TS. I bet that SW corner would work out though. It doesn't look like you have much back yard to do a pole mount like I did shooting over the house.
I see the Google Earth Pics are popular.

Shawn VERY NICE PIC .. Swimming Pools and all , have you tried Microsoft LIVE
You might get a closer shot or better angle , just make sure you go to Bird eye view (square Icon w/ 3 buildings under map view)
Live Local Search

I recommend this for people in Suburban or Metro areas , for those in rural or Farming communities Google Earth is still the best.

I see the Google Earth Pics are popular.

Shawn VERY NICE PIC .. Swimming Pools and all , have you tried Microsoft LIVE
You might get a closer shot or better angle , just make sure you go to Bird eye view (square Icon w/ 3 buildings under map view)
Live Local Search

I recommend this for people in Suburban or Metro areas , for those in rural or Farming communities Google Earth is still the best.
That is cool to get another view. The MS Live pic was older - I still had my BUD up :). Still cool to see.

Charred - that sounds like it'll work nice too :cool:. I almost did a pole mount out front (would have been WAY easier) but I was worried that the neigborhood kids would mess with it.

Attachments

• szdishes2.gif
    szdishes2.gif
    235.8 KB · Views: 93
Just call me Tree-Killer!

Never underestimate an FTA addict seeking better LOS...

I bought large lag screws and a $10 hand saw. After 45 minutes, the shed was miraculously clear of trees! Bet the wife will be surprised when she gets home.

... as soon as I'm breathing air again instead of fire, I'll try figuring out how the heck to mount this flat kit onto the peaked roof :eek:

Attachments

• notrees.jpg
    notrees.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 104
Excellent work, Charred! I hope the WAF is high, if not, better hide the saw :D

(WAF=Wife Approval Factor, its a term we've coined around here recently ;) )

WAF is fine... of course, I have no clue what to do with all those trees now! And realizing I don't have a ladder stalled things somewhat. I initially just scrambled up to the roof using the tree stumps, thinking to use a rope to climb down. Smart, huh? It would have been if I hadn't left the rope below. :eek:

Long story short, after being stuck on the roof awhile, I figured out where and how to mount everything, but the lag bolts and dish aren't in place yet. I plan on borrowing a ladder tonight, and finishing it off by tomorrow. Don't you hate it when plans get messed up?

In better news, I got a decent tan up there... :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts