I'm brand spanking new to satellite and clueless... recommendations PLEASE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

traumacist

Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Cleburne, TX
Hi. I'm moving to a location that only has satellite for internet connections. I'm not a gamer, just browsing and some youtube... could someone... in very small words.... recommend the most reliable satellite service to use? It looks like Exede and Hughes Net are the two big competitors but they both seem to have lovers and haters....

Also, is there a Satellite 101 section to this site that can make me somewhat literate about the posts I'm reading? Thanks in advance!!!

Still under contract with Direct TV. Was hoping there was a way to get internet thru their service since it seems to be very reliable....but they offer bundles with other satellite internet providers...

Still under contract with Direct TV. Was hoping there was a way to get internet thru their service since it seems to be very reliable....but they offer bundles with other satellite internet providers...

Excede seems to be a pretty good choice. I hear a lot of customers recommend it over others. How about using a wifi hotspot?

Hi Hutch1814,

I have considered wifi hotspot.... but I know less about them than I do satellite.... and you can tell that I know zip about that! Ask me about pharmacy and we can talk, but.....
In you opinion, is wifi hotspot more dependable than satellite and if so.... which carrier is best? I used Verizon for cell phone for years... for wifi hotspot for about one year at a friends and that experience was horrific.

Thanks for helping!!

Hi Hutch1814,

I have considered wifi hotspot.... but I know less about them than I do satellite.... and you can tell that I know zip about that! Ask me about pharmacy and we can talk, but.....
In you opinion, is wifi hotspot more dependable than satellite and if so.... which carrier is best? I used Verizon for cell phone for years... for wifi hotspot for about one year at a friends and that experience was horrific.

Thanks for helping!!

If your still in the Verizon area, do they not have internet available ?

I dropped Verizon for my phone and internet years ago, but if its a viable option ....

If your still in the Verizon area, do they not have internet available ?

I dropped Verizon for my phone and internet years ago, but if its a viable option ....

Verizon & ATT are trying to shed land lines & DSL & go solely with wireless. That may also be true in the area where he lives.

Excede seems to be a pretty good choice. I hear a lot of customers recommend it over others. How about using a wifi hotspot?

I have Exede for a backup for my DSL, since I am in a rural area, the DSL speed is slow, and service can be spotty at times. Anyway, I am quite happy with the service that I have gotten with it.

Verizon & ATT are trying to shed land lines & DSL & go solely with wireless. That may also be true in the area where he lives.

It will be a LONG time before that happens .... a long time ...
ATT are using thier landlines to run thier Uverse TV and Internet, they are not going anywhere anytime soon.

Verizon sold off thier landlines, but another company picked them up, so it's not like they are just abandoned and not used anymore.

How about right now in Ct. Soon enough? AT&T is leaving the State for all business except wireless, that includes leaving Uverse and landlines, and DSL. Frontier bought the businesses, and will expand Uverse according them, in fact is being allowed to expand Uverse in 27 other states to be run by Frontier. Their intent is to keep landlines alive, but only till they can legally shed them

Want more right now? Verizon has been doing everything possible except pay me to leave my landline service with them in Florida. Why? because if they get under a certain amount or percentage of subscribers, they can and will be dropping their landline service also. I bet many here From Florida that has Verizon DSL and/or landline where Fios is available keeps getting info about switching to the internet phone and Fios Internet.

It's coming much sooner than you think because there are some States that are not strong on making them keep the service.

"So, with SB 636, will you have to give up your home phone and go only with a wireless phone? You could, if you wanted to, and millions of people already have, but you won’t have to. You could get a landline phone that’s powered by the Internet, a.k.a. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), or both VoIP and wireless. The choice is yours. " A three year possible phase out is what they are willing to allow in Michigan.
http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/12/att_president_jim_murray_the_t.html

Even the FCC has said in as little as 5 years it could be phased out, that would mean many areas would be sooner, not all would simply go away in five years. And recently Verizon refused to restore POTS to weather related outages, and was not forced to. That appears to be the trend - simply not fix when substantial damage is incurred.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Goodnight-Copper-FCC-Votes-to-Conduct-IP-Transition-Trials-127543

I predict we are very close to or may have reached where regulatory agencies are not able to force them to maintain the lines so they are instead trying to make sure there is a smooth transition.

My area will never see ATT Uverse,Verizon FIOS,or Google Fiber in my lifetime. the OP,if he needs internet & doesn't have access to DSL or broadband cable,should go with Exede as it seems to have more flexibility as far as data caps. Wireless Hotspots is most likely another feature my area won't ever see. My city government is holding back a lot of technological progress,for whatever reason I don't know. It took a very long time to get a sewage system installed in our city because a board member had a relative who made his living draining septic tanks(finally got that during the 80's),& expanding business past three local family owned general stores(no bigger than a 7/11 store).....(again,overcame that hurdle during the 80's).

Hi. I'm moving to a location that only has satellite for internet connections. I'm not a gamer, just browsing and some youtube... could someone... in very small words.... recommend the most reliable satellite service to use? It looks like Exede and Hughes Net are the two big competitors but they both seem to have lovers and haters....

Also, is there a Satellite 101 section to this site that can make me somewhat literate about the posts I'm reading? Thanks in advance!!!

DO NOT GET SATELLITE! YOU CAN GET MOTOROLA CANOPY FIXED POINT TO POINT WIRELESS FROM http://www.skybeam.com IN YOUR AREA.

Get the medium or high level plan, it uses a newer separate more reliable system than the low plan and has less users on it. Before I moved to Charter coverage I once had the highest plan from Skybeam and consistently got 15mbps/4-5mbps on it with low pings and my VOIP worked great on it. Never went out in storms either.

http://www.skybeam.com/residential/pricing-plans-texas/

Are you sure you can't get Charter? 98% of the Cleburne city limits is covered by Charter Cable Internet.

Satellite is a option of LAST RESORT, and if you are anywhere in Johnson county you have PLENTY of options to consider before satellite. First Skybeam, second there is another smaller local wireless ISP, third there is lots of LTE cellular coverage with decent speeds.

Last edited:
How about right now in Ct. Soon enough? AT&T is leaving the State for all business except wireless, that includes leaving Uverse and landlines, and DSL. Frontier bought the businesses, and will expand Uverse according them, in fact is being allowed to expand Uverse in 27 other states to be run by Frontier. Their intent is to keep landlines alive, but only till they can legally shed them

Want more right now? Verizon has been doing everything possible except pay me to leave my landline service with them in Florida. Why? because if they get under a certain amount or percentage of subscribers, they can and will be dropping their landline service also. I bet many here From Florida that has Verizon DSL and/or landline where Fios is available keeps getting info about switching to the internet phone and Fios Internet.

It's coming much sooner than you think because there are some States that are not strong on making them keep the service.

"So, with SB 636, will you have to give up your home phone and go only with a wireless phone? You could, if you wanted to, and millions of people already have, but you won’t have to. You could get a landline phone that’s powered by the Internet, a.k.a. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), or both VoIP and wireless. The choice is yours. " A three year possible phase out is what they are willing to allow in Michigan.
http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/12/att_president_jim_murray_the_t.html

Even the FCC has said in as little as 5 years it could be phased out, that would mean many areas would be sooner, not all would simply go away in five years. And recently Verizon refused to restore POTS to weather related outages, and was not forced to. That appears to be the trend - simply not fix when substantial damage is incurred.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Goodnight-Copper-FCC-Votes-to-Conduct-IP-Transition-Trials-127543

I predict we are very close to or may have reached where regulatory agencies are not able to force them to maintain the lines so they are instead trying to make sure there is a smooth transition.

I keep fixing lines for Uverse daily in Ohio.

The article from mlive explains it quite well ...
It doesn't say anything about UVERSE being gone and landlines going away.
It talks about how the current landlines are more valuable than ever, running much more than just Voice.
If your running internet or voice or TV, your still using that same landline.
Until they go strictly wireless from the VRAD, which has been mentioned, but nothing is in the works that I have had knowledge of as of yet.

Last edited:
AT&T isn't trying to get rid of landlines in CT, they are leaving CT.

We are moving to Cleburne... The local ISP guy has already come out and let us know that we can't get service....crazy cuz we are only about two miles from Henderson St. Thanks TechGuru for the skybeam lead.... I will check that out first thing tomorrow. I will sing your praises from the rooftops if it works out.... You guys here are great !! Thanks again !!!

We are moving to Cleburne... The local ISP guy has already come out and let us know that we can't get service....crazy cuz we are only about two miles from Henderson St. Thanks TechGuru for the skybeam lead.... I will check that out first thing tomorrow. I will sing your praises from the rooftops if it works out.... You guys here are great !! Thanks again !!!

Ya I think that local one (Digitex) http://www.digitex.com only has the one tower on top of their office at Nolan River Mall. Skybeam has towers all over. If you PM me your address I can do some further checking.

and of course Digitex is going to "tell" you satellite is your only option if you can't get "their" wireless as it appears they sell satellite internet and want you to order it through them. Just looking at their wireless speeds to prices ratio they are thieves.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts