I'm brand spanking new to satellite and clueless... recommendations PLEASE!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Actually, looking at the tower maps I am very surprised that you could not get Digitex. Was Digitex the local one that denied you?

Here is the order you should try:

1. Skybeam
2. Digitex
3. LTE Providers (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile)
4. Dial Up
5. HughesNet
6. WildBlue

Actually, looking at the tower maps I am very surprised that you could not get Digitex. Was Digitex the local one that denied you?

Here is the order you should try:

1. Skybeam
2. Digitex
3. LTE Providers (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile)
4. Dial Up
5. HughesNet
6. WildBlue

WildBlue is now Exede. Based on the fact they claim to allow unlimited data between 12am-5am(3am-8am under their Evolution plan),I'd place them above HughesNet on that alone. DishNet satellite internet service I'd avoid at ALL costs based on their data cap restrictions. The LTE providers are also impractical due to their data cap limits,which are worse than satellite internet providers Exede & HughesNet Gen 4.

WildBlue is now Exede. Based on the fact they claim to allow unlimited data between 12am-5am(3am-8am under their Evolution plan),I'd place them above HughesNet on that alone. DishNet satellite internet service I'd avoid at ALL costs based on their data cap restrictions. The LTE providers are also impractical due to their data cap limits,which are worse than satellite internet providers Exede & HughesNet Gen 4.

Have you actually had and used them? I HAVE.

I would pick ANYTHING before Satellite, the delay when trying to surf will make one suicidal. I don't care if it were 100mbps/100mbps unlimited satellite, the DELAY makes it impractical for surfing and also makes VOIP impossible, I never could get my Airave or VOIP service to work over it and was forced to order POTS from AT&T to have a working phone because there was also no cellular coverage where I was. I finally just had to break my lease and move because of the situation, why did I move there in the first place? Well I was "told" there was a local WISP that would service it, once I moved in I found out they filed bankruptcy the same day I signed my lease and would not be signing up any new customers.

My Charter Primary Internet:
3450208428.png

My Sprint LTE Backup Internet:
826702308.png

15mbps SkyBeam back when I had it over a year ago (about $71/mo after taxes and equipment rental, NO CONTRACT unlike satellite):
2rcoglt.jpg

and here is what SkyBeam will install:
2yklw0j.jpg

Last edited:
Have you actually had and used them? I HAVE.

I would pick ANYTHING before Satellite, the delay when trying to surf will make one suicidal. I don't care if it were 100mbps/100mbps unlimited satellite, the DELAY makes it impractical for surfing and also makes VOIP impossible, I never could get my Airave or VOIP service to work over it and was forced to order POTS from AT&T to have a working phone because there was also no cellular coverage where I was. I finally just had to break my lease and move because of the situation, why did I move there in the first place? Well I was "told" there was a local WISP that would service it, once I moved in I found out they filed bankruptcy the same day I signed my lease and would not be signing up any new customers.

My Charter Primary Internet:
3450208428.png

My Sprint LTE Backup Internet:
826702308.png

15mbps SkyBeam back when I had it over a year ago (about $71/mo after taxes and equipment rental, NO CONTRACT unlike satellite):
2rcoglt.jpg

and here is what SkyBeam will install:
2yklw0j.jpg

Listen,I totally agree that getting satellite internet should be the last resort,just ABOVE having to go with dial-up. I'm just saying that if I had to choose satellite internet,I'd go with Exede above the other 2 options(HughesNet Gen 4 & DishNet). Fortunately I have the choice between ATT 6.0 Fast DSL & WOW cable broadband. After those two where I live,it's either satellite internet or dial-up. Wireless internet services are not offered where I live.

Looks like I'm gonna luck out with Skybeam... Girl at Home Depot suggested Wind Stream but I didn't have to check that one out since Skybeam said yes........ Really glad I don't have to kill myself or others....... :D

Looks like I'm gonna luck out with Skybeam...

The sad thing is you are about 1 mile JUST ONE MILE from a Charter line.

Girl at Home Depot suggested Wind Stream but I didn't have to check that one out since Skybeam said yes

WOW! I am appalled. I don't know of anywhere off hand in Johnson county that has Windstream POTS or DSL, the worker must be from Acton as that is the closest Windstream landline area I know of. It amazes me how ignorant some people are, you know I saw a HughesNet dish in use inside a newer in town neighborhood that has both Charter Cable Internet AND AT&T UVerse internet available to it! Talk about complete suckers to marketing.

Last edited:
If I ever have to get satellite internet,it'll be for back-up only & definitely after getting a back-up generator. Going 3 days without electricity due to an ice storm will do that to you. Outside my city limits I can get Comcast. WOW Cable is much different & better in Augusta,GA next door than WOW Cable in my town. Anyway,like I said earlier,I have AT&T Fast DSL & WOW Internet to choose from. Put in a word for Georgia to Skybeam.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)